What if everyone in America quit smoking?

endless381

Established Member
Heres what the government makes each year on profit....

# Federal excise taxes - $7,307,440,000
# State and local excise taxes - $15,087,691,000
# State cigarette sales taxes - $4,764,730,000
# Tobacco settlement payments - $7,200,000,000

Read more: Answers.com - How much money does the government make a year from tobacco sales

I heard if everyone was to quit smoking that the government would have to raise gas prices to $6+ a gallon just to make up for lost revenue.So why are they getting strict on the tobacco industry?They need people to smoke:??:

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
All of that would be more than made up for with the decrease in healthcare costs associated with respiratory, allergy, cardiovascular, and cancer problems we have in this country, not to mention the improvements in worker productivity and increased quality of life we would see.

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
All of that would be more than made up for with the decrease in healthcare costs associated with respiratory, allergy, cardiovascular, and cancer problems we have in this country, not to mention the improvements in worker productivity and increased quality of life we would see.

/thread.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I absolutely hate the smell of cigaret smoke. Smoking does more damage than good, regardless of all the tax revenue collected this country would benefit it everyone quit.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Bingo.

Not to mention the streets would be so much cleaner. I was riding my bike the other day and couldn't help but notice all the cigarette butts all over the road. It's pretty gross and amazing that this sort of litter is allowed.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
legalize marijuana. thatll make up for the loss of that shitty industry known as tobacco. plus itll end the drug cartels main source of income. then again we all know big tobacco will just go into the business of buying out any growers anyways.

Spoolx

Established Member
I was swimming in the lake today and came up on a cigarette butt... it made me angry.. I hate cigarettes.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
legalize marijuana. thatll make up for the loss of that shitty industry known as tobacco. plus itll end the drug cartels main source of income. then again we all know big tobacco will just go into the business of buying out any growers anyways.

I agree with this.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member

+1000

also, take into account that most people who smoke do not have health insurance and you will quickly realize that all the health care costs fall back on the government---at a much, much higher rate than what they make off cigarette taxation

usmcrebel

Established Member

and having neither one would be even more healthy....

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Heres what the government makes each year on profit....

# Federal excise taxes - $7,307,440,000
# State and local excise taxes - $15,087,691,000
# State cigarette sales taxes - $4,764,730,000
# Tobacco settlement payments - $7,200,000,000

Read more: Answers.com - How much money does the government make a year from tobacco sales

I heard if everyone was to quit smoking that the government would have to raise gas prices to $6+ a gallon just to make up for lost revenue.So why are they getting strict on the tobacco industry?They need people to smoke:??:

seriously someone didnt think this through

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Cigarettes and smokers dont bother me that much. I don't smoke and have no intention of ever starting, its too expensive. I do really miss seeing all the tobacco advertising in auto racing though. I remember when I was little and would watch F1 and Indy and I knew all the tobacco companies, my mom got a few talkings to from teachers that they were worried about me.

boduke0220

Established Member
I would starve, as would the rest of my family. we depend on our 150 acres of flue cured and burley tobacco ( also have 500 acres of wheat and 500 of soy beans but its not as much $ as youd think) heavily ( currently trying to slowly phase it out but thats still 10-15 years away) for income.

Users who are viewing this thread