What if I put the Carbon fiber wheels/tires on a non R Gt 350??

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
All other differences aside......

I can't help but think that if one was to get a Gt 350 with magna ride suspension and put the carbon wheels and tires on it, that the lap times would be very very close (as in one mistake) close to the R version. Would it be worth the $ difference. Aside from the potential collector market 30 years from now.

Or even a super light magnesium wheel on the 350with the same tires as the 350R.

?

AZBOSS

Established Member
My guess is that would make a big difference, but the biggest difference would be from the tires themselves on the R, which were benchmarked against Hoosier R6s. A lightweight racing wheel on a really good track tire or DOT slick would probably be 95% of the way there, at least until aero comes into play.

Voltwings

Established Member
I usually take Manufacturer claims with a healthy grain of salt, but the fact the Ford felt the need to re calibrate the suspension because the new wheels were so much lighter does actually make a bit of sense to me. Changing THAT much unsprung weight is bound to affect something.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
The R car software has a special wheel-protection function that protects the wheels against hard impacts. Presumably it releases the damper so the wheel can move more easily for just long enough to prevent damage. The non-R cars may or may not have it.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
The R car software has a special wheel-protection function that protects the wheels against hard impacts. Presumably it releases the damper so the wheel can move more easily for just long enough to prevent damage. The non-R cars may or may not have it.

just had to quote this.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I thought the CF wheels handled impacts better than their aluminum brethren...

krt22

Established Member

This is the first time ive heard of such a thing. If it is indeed true I wonder how useful it really is since the impact has already occured.

I would think the different magneride settings are mainly for the less unsprung mass and stiffer springs. This tuning for the wheels may further optimize performance, but I don't think running lighter wheels on the non-r is going to result in lesser performance. We are likely looking at a 1st order and 2nd order effect.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
I would have to agree with krt22 at this point. Ford would surely make sure people knew that their exotic wheels where protected from "pot holes". I think the tire itself with the side wall ridge is the only protection.

Carbon fiber is known for being stiff. Kevlar (Aramid) is known for impact resistance. Oddly, Kevlar is also lighter than Carbon fiber.

The ideal wheel would be a hybrid of the two composites and aluminum as I see it currently.

I posted because I think once the hype (like the Z/28, today, $50K) passes I will get one. The question being which version.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I would have to agree with krt22 at this point. Ford would surely make sure people knew that their exotic wheels where protected from "pot holes". I think the tire itself with the side wall ridge is the only protection.

Carbon fiber is known for being stiff. Kevlar (Aramid) is known for impact resistance. Oddly, Kevlar is also lighter than Carbon fiber.

The ideal wheel would be a hybrid of the two composites and aluminum as I see it currently.

I posted because I think once the hype (like the Z/28, today, $50K) passes I will get one. The question being which version.

The R's are unlikely to come down in price any time soon due to the low number being built. Best bet will be a base 17 and then swap in some track wheel/tire combo and save your self the $$$$

Users who are viewing this thread