What is going on -- 03 Mach I worth more than 03 Cobra on eBay !!

bluecoupdegrace

Established Member
I don't know what's happening to the FMV of our cars, but there is a 03 Mach I on eBay getting higher bids than the o3 Cobra Coupes.

That's nuts !!

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
It's called the first to have one ALWAYS pays extra $$$$$. How much did the first few 03 cobra owners pay compared to the people that just got theirs?? Dont sweat it the market will return to normal once the gota have it guys stop out bidding each other.....IMHO they are stupid to pay premium to have one 6 months sooner than the guy next door.

ntechnic

Established Member
As I understand it, they are going to be building fewer '03 Mach I's than '03 Cobra's. Speculators may be piling in. I think some are thinking that fewer means rarer, and that means better resale or future appreciation.

Of course, given the way we all drive, I have no doubt that 10 years from now, there will be fewer '03 Cobra's LEFT than Mach I's.

bluecoupdegrace

Established Member
What I can't fathom is why anyone would buy a Mach I if they could have the Cobra for the same price....the Mach I Registry Forum says they're dynoing at 270-290 RWHP on the average...and we know what our cars can do -- about 100 RWHP more !

1BAD03

Established Member
I got mine 12-20 and paid 27,477.99 taxes included! One of the first to get it and didn't have to pay even sticker price for it;-)

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I had mine held with a deposit a few months back, I was gonna get it for a few bills over dealer invoice.

I changed my mind and got a Cobra instead :)

At the Ford dealer down the street, Vista Ford, they had a black Mach 1 in the showroom, and on the sticker they showed a "$5,000 dealer markup", so the car was going for 32 something.. forget that.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Originally posted by bluecoupdegrace
What I can't fathom is why anyone would buy a Mach I if they could have the Cobra for the same price....the Mach I Registry Forum says they're dynoing at 270-290 RWHP on the average...and we know what our cars can do -- about 100 RWHP more !
Well, most of 'em are getting them at MSRP... so it's about a $6000 difference. The ppl at the Mach I Registry seem to be enamored with the history and such, owning a revamped "classic", and such - making their decisions more based upon the shaker scoop and "styling cues" then anything else. Actually, most of 'em really aren't into performance as much as they are into the looks of the car. Not too surprising really. To each his own. :)

StreetSnake

Established Member
I read in an earlier magazine that ford was going to build as many as they could sell, that there wouldnt be any limitations on them like the Cobra:beer: :beer:

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
How many Mach 1's were expected for production this year? Anyone know? I think the 03 Cobra's were slated for 12,000.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by ntechnic
As I understand it, they are going to be building fewer '03 Mach I's than '03 Cobra's. Speculators may be piling in. I think some are thinking that fewer means rarer, and that means better resale or future appreciation.

Of course, given the way we all drive, I have no doubt that 10 years from now, there will be fewer '03 Cobra's LEFT than Mach I's.

Hey All,

I've heard 6K Mach 1's to be built (similar to the Bullit cars) and 12K Cobras, estimated.

...and I gotta say, Fewer actually does mean Rarer. However, Fewer does not mean More Desireable. But then I think that is what you meant. And I agree- fewer does not necessarily mean better resale / future appreciation.

Look at the '69 Mach 1. There were relatively few made w/ the 390, compared with a bunch of 428 cars. But as far as desireability... Gimme the CJ Baby!

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
I paid sticker for my
Cobra and Took Delivery July 3, 2002...

I have seen the Mach 1 and wouldn't pay sticker for it...

Its better than a GT but not much... besides having a cool hood I think the interior is ugly...

Is greatful for what I've got... I just wish someone would buy me some new tires... lol

03'Darin

Established Member
We have been told by Ford not to expect more than 1 or 2 Machs' per dealership. Keep in mind that is an average.....bigger dealers will get more, smaller dealers will get less-none.

Zate

Established Member
your right about the 70-100 rwhp difference..

but it also only weights 3200-3300 lbs.. about 300 lbs less than the 03 .. so performance isnt that far behind.. guys are running mid to low 13's @ 103-105.. not too bad.

i got mine because a new Cobra was out of my price range.. i think i am happier with the Mach 1..i like the retro styling and feel of it..

Cobra was nicer to drive though :)

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
The final production for the Mach1 is set around 6500. Any rumors about a increase are just that, rumors. But who knows, I've heard everything from an increase to 10,000 , to a possible '04 Mach1. But I could care less till I hear something official.

This crap about price adjusting over MSRP is just sick. I will pay sticker for mine and feel that is fair. Eventually the prices will come down, but I doubt you'll see many below sticker.

Why is there so much hate for the Mach1? It's like some of you think its not worth the sheetmetal it was built with. I understand everybody has a right to their own opinions, but I've seen too many people think this car is s**t because it doesn't have 400+ hp.

Edit: Speaking of price difference, other than the 6,000 sticker difference. We don't have a gas guzzler tax, I think thats 1,000 right? :p

Last edited:

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
No one should be paying over MSRP. When I bought my 03 Cobra in September, there was sticker in the window saying that the dealer markup was $5000. When I asked about the price, they immediately went down to $2000 above MSRP. In the end I paid MSRP (even that was more than I wanted to pay seeing that invoice is a good $3000 under MSRP).

This just goes to prove that the dealers have been 'fishing' for a big sucker who will pay the high markup, but that they will come down to make a sale. Besides the MSRP and invoice price differential is huge providing the dealer with a good profit for single vehicle.

As far as trying to compare the Mach 1 to the Cobra, they are 2 very different cars. While the Mach 1 is full of retro-cool stuff and is a definite step above the GT, it is no Cobra. The Cobra is king of the Mustang line, hands down.

Additionally, there is a lot more power to be unleashed in the Cobra than the Mach 1 in my opinion sumply by the facaet that the Cobra was so choked up from he factory to pass various EPA, DOT, etc. regulations. Therefore, the perception that there is a 'small' performance difference in the Mach 1 and Cobra can quickly be dismissed when we start talking about modded cars, which most of ours are or will be.

-norcal_cobra

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
remember you are on the 03 Cobra board, people are bound to be biased. I was behind a new Mach yesterday and personally I think it is ugly, the only cool thing on it is the hood. But to each his ..you know. Personally I think the front valance on my 03 Snake is ugly.But the interior is sweet and the power is even more awesome

Pyro

Established Member
I dont think that there is any "Hate" towards the Mach 1. On the contrary, I think most Cobra owners LIKE the Mach 1....it's just that they LOVE the Cobra. We all know that by flaming the Mach 1 is to flame the foundation of the Cobra so it would be stupid to do so. As for comparing, I agree with corcal_cobra, there really is no comparison. Just my $.02 worth.

ObieFox

Established Member
For $6k you get the T56, IRS and a forged shortblock. Not to mention the Blower, seats etc... I think the cobra coupe is a bargain compared to the Mach1. Just my opinion. These are all great cars and we are lucky to have all these options. I wonder what the LS1 sites are debating about these days? ;)

Kevin

03'Darin

Established Member
Edit: Speaking of price difference, other than the 6,000 sticker difference. We don't have a gas guzzler tax, I think thats 1,000 right? :p [/B][/QUOTE]

The gas guzzler tax is already in the total sticker price on the Cobra.

I don't think it's that people hate the Mach. I think it's that people have such strong opinions about what they like and want other people to think the same way.

Perfect example...."$6000 more for what?". Well where should I start.....around 80 rwhp, $800 in mods gets you around 160 more rwhp than the mach, did I mention hp yet, irs, 6spd, and..... But that's just MPO..

I would rather spend the money for the hp on the Cobra than going for the retro look of the Mach.

Everyone should be glad that we Mustang lovers have these tough choices to make.

Last edited:

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Thanks for clearing that up 03'Darin
I wasn't sure because I hadn't heard anything about in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread