What is going wrong?

Lightningboy99

Established Member
The other day i pulled my L out for a drive cuz we had a bit of a warm streak. Anyways i decide to punch it and it just bogged down. I looked in the rearview and happened to see a cloud of smoke that had kind of a green tint to it, and i began to smell antifreeze. I know that my truck tends to leak antifreeze out of the intercooler so i do have to have the recall on this, but when i do will this problem stop.

Btw when i fill my intercooler resevour up is when this problem tends to happen, but when i half fill it it seems fine!?!?

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Sound's like the same problem I had with my old L.

But it was caused by my overflow tank spitting out thru the notch where the cap goes. Unfortunately that notch is faced right at my CAI filter, so the filter was getting soaked and antifreeze was being sucked into the motor.

Not sure if that's the same issue... Just telling ya what happened when mine did something very similar to what your describing.

Lightningboy99

Established Member
Well i know i can fill up the intercooler resevour and maybe two or three hours later its damn near empty!!

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Sounds like a bad intercooler. The recall for the I/C replacement through Ford has expired. I think it died in Dec of 02. Pressure test the I/C system and see if it drops pressure or has any signs of leaks outside of the I/C. If no external signs of leaks are present with pressure drop, start the truck and it see if it blows smoke out the pipes. If it does, I'd say it's the I/C.

Lightningboy99

Established Member
Recall

I made a call about a week ago to a ford dealership and asked them about the recall if they still honored it and they said that a recall was lifetime!!!:shrug:

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
The 99's had leaking intercoolers in the lower intake below the supercharger you should upgrade to a newer 2001-2004 intercooler

Users who are viewing this thread