What is it like being an Officer?

roushcobra2003

Established Member
I'm about to finish up school with a physics degree. I'm curious on what is it like being an officer in any branch. I'm leaning towards Air Force, with the intent on trying to be a pilot, and I know that's a slim picking, so I was also looking into intelligence. Any input would be helpful.:beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
As someone with a lot of time in civilian intel, it can be VERY boring but when things are cooking it can be very interesting and very cool and if you are on the tech side you will likely to get to play with some VERY cool toys.

the time you spend as a LT. will suck ass according to the 1,342,232 LTs I have talked to out here. they are the privates of the officer corps and are treated like privates by just about everybody LOL! after that it is not so bad.

bunk22

Established Member
I'm about to finish up school with a physics degree. I'm curious on what is it like being an officer in any branch. I'm leaning towards Air Force, with the intent on trying to be a pilot, and I know that's a slim picking, so I was also looking into intelligence. Any input would be helpful.:beer:

I'm a big proponent of listening only to those who have been there done that. If you would like to be a pilot, then do it. The Navy has more aviators than surface officers (pilots and Naval Flight Officers). The Marines, Army and Coast Guard also have plenty of aviators. There is also the ANG and AFR, so there are many ways to go when trying to become a military aviator. I know the AF is cutting back right now so looking at other options might be key.

As for being an officer, I have experience only in the Navy but that is 17 years and 2 months worth of experience. It has been a while since I've been a brand new Ensign (O-1) but I can tell you, compared to our young sailors, there is much more freedom. Granted, I can only speak from the aviation side of the house as I went from NRTOC to being stashed at TOPGUN back when they were in Miramar, San Diego. There were working hours but the front office didn't really care too much about us, just staying out of trouble was key. Then off to Pensacola and flight school. The Navy doesn't hold your hand, you're expected to muster at the appropriate time and when school starts, be there on time. I lived out on time, did what I wanted, partied, drank, etc. Once in the fleet, same, lived out in town, showed up at work, deployed when required, etc. As an officer, you're expected to be an adult and make appropriate decisions; you're a professional afterall and supposed to act like it.

Marineflyboy

Established Member
In no way is a young Lt treated like a private. Sure if you do something stupid you are going to get a nice little talking to. But you are an Officer and as long as you conduct yourself as such and do you your job you will be respected up and down the chain of command. Better pay and better jobs. I've got friends that have lead Marines in combat in fire fights and then guys like me flying multi-million dollar war machines. Most people right out of college don't get to do anything that can compare, being a Lt is a good deal.

I will say pinning on O-3 was a nice change but the only downside is I no longer can pull the "I'm just a Lt, I didn't know".

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
In no way is a young Lt treated like a private. Sure if you do something stupid you are going to get a nice little talking to. But you are an Officer and as long as you conduct yourself as such and do you your job you will be respected up and down the chain of command. Better pay and better jobs. I've got friends that have lead Marines in combat in fire fights and then guys like me flying multi-million dollar war machines. Most people right out of college don't get to do anything that can compare, being a Lt is a good deal.

I will say pinning on O-3 was a nice change but the only downside is I no longer can pull the "I'm just a Lt, I didn't know".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe it depends on the unit. but in 7 years out here I have yet to see a Lt. given any kind or REAL respect. they get the dirt jobs of the officer corps. the marines are some of the worst. over 4 years total working with them on TQ.

and I didn't say it wasn't a good deal. and that "Lts are the privates of the officer corps" came directly from some mighty fine Lts. they knew their shit 6 ways from sunday.

bunk22

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe it depends on the unit. but in 7 years out here I have yet to see a Lt. given any kind or REAL respect. they get the dirt jobs of the officer corps. the marines are some of the worst. over 4 years total working with them on TQ.

and I didn't say it wasn't a good deal. and that "Lts are the privates of the officer corps" came directly from some mighty fine Lts. they knew their shit 6 ways from sunday.

So you were a military officer with experience? Or were you never one and now argue with a Marine Corps Officer with actual experience over the internet? It is the internet afterall so to be expected I guess. Working with them is not being one. As an Ensign in the Navy, I got exactly the respect that was due to me as a new officer. Again, to the OP, listen to those who have been there done that, not second hand info. Go to www.baseops.net or www.airwarriors.com for aviation and even intel info. Do a search first as asking the same question that has been asked over and over doesn't go over well.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So you were a military officer with experience? Or were you never one and now argue with a Marine Corps Officer with actual experience over the internet? It is the internet afterall so to be expected I guess. Working with them is not being one. As an Ensign in the Navy, I got exactly the respect that was due to me as a new officer. Again, to the OP, listen to those who have been there done that, not second hand info.

No and I never claimed to be. I was pretty clear that what I posted came from actual LTs and my personal observations from 7 years out here in the sandbox.

As I said in my 2nd post on the subject that perhaps it varies by unit. and I agree with you that working with them is not the same as being one of them, but then I never claimed that either.

I am not arguing YOUR experience or HIS experience. I am strictly relating MY experience. Does that make me an expert? no it doesn't but unless you are calling the Marine and Army LTs I talked to Liars, and unless you have been around when I have you are no more qualified to call me a liar than I am you.

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
No and I never claimed to be. I was pretty clear that what I posted came from actual LTs and my personal observations from 7 years out here in the sandbox.

As I said in my 2nd post on the subject that perhaps it varies by unit. and I agree with you that working with them is not the same as being one of them, but then I never claimed that either.

I am not arguing YOUR experience or HIS experience. I am strictly relating MY experience. DOes that make me and expert? no it doesn't but unless you are calling the Marine and Army LTs I talked to Liars, and unless you have been around when I have you are no more qualified to call me a liar than I am you.

Never called you a liar and if that's what you're getting out of it, might want to grow some thicker skin lol. Also never claimed you were an officer, thus the question. However, like I said, not being an officer and observing, two different entities. If you want to express their opinions, then give us some specifics as to why they feel this way. What is their experience being LT's with respect to day to day life, job description, mission, etc. So again, for the OP, you have two actual officers relating their specific experiences, albeit very brief in nature. There are others on this site and on the sites I mentioned; best source is from those who have been there done that, not second hand.

Last edited:

Marineflyboy

Established Member
In my short time in along with my fellow Marine Officer peers in all different MOS's I've yet to be treated poorly or have heard about not being respected from senior enlisted to senior officers. If you are turd sure you are going to get sh*t on. Don't get me wrong I've been the point of some great gags and jokes but thats part of being a FNG. I respect your expirence and time in, but if you are going to say we JO's are treated like privates of the Officer corps you are mistaken and is bad gouge to pass on to a potential future Officer.

Last edited:

Storm_jordan

Established Member
In my short time in along with my fellow Marine Officer peers in all different MOS's I've yet to be treated poorly or have heard about not being respected from senior enlisted to senior officers. If you are turd sure you are going to get sh*t on. Don't get me wrong I've been the point of some great gags and jokes but thats part of being a FNG. I respect your expirence and time in, but if you are going to say we JO's are treated like privates of the Officer corps you are mistaken and is bad gouge to pass on to a potential future Officer.

fly f-18's?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
From an AF enlisted point of view. The rank must always have the respect it is warranted. Whether it be a 2nd Lt or Maj. But in the world of the AF we have a couple different scenarios. We have Os from ROTC, Academy, or prior enlisted (this is all my experience from the comm world).

Generally I have not ran into or worked for a butter bar (2nd Lt) that was from the academy, but the Captains that I have worked for are generally pretty stuck up:shrug: Prior E officers are either super cool or are douche bags because they think they get automatic respect because they were prior E. ROTC officers (new butter bars) seem to be the worst. I'm not sure what the hell they tell them in ROTC, but everyone of them that has passed into my work place always feels like they have something to prove and they are the best thing since the invention of the powered flying aircraft to the AF. This is highly annoying and usually erodes morale because despite the fact they have absolutely zero expiercne in the AF and zero knowledge of our equipment they still out rank us and can tell us what to do.

I had a bad year or so where we had no SNCO and not one but 2 fresh butter bars running our section morale sucked a nut and our section looked like shit because these two butter bars could not relate to us the things that needed to get because they had no idea what the hell we worked on. Also unfortunately for me ALL of the NCOs in my shop were also new and were not sure of the equipment. But for some funky ass reason, in meetings I would try to tell the Lts what need to be done and what would and couldn't work. That shit doesn't seem to be able to pass through to their brains unless an NCO told them. Again unfortunately between me, NCO, and Lt a lot of shit got lost in translation. I will end that rant with "**** that year glad it is over".

Awesomely though we got a new batch of experienced SNCOs and they straightened those two Lts up.

One thing to remember about the military is no matter where you are in your career there is always someone that outranks you and you will have to take out the trash....

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I will also say that I would take being an officer any day of the week over being enlisted (thats all based on pay) though.

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
I will also say that I would take being an officer any day of the week over being enlisted (thats all based on pay) though.
Ditto. But id go Navy, seem to be a better Officer corp to me. Just to bad the F-14s retired :cryying::cryying::cryying:

bunk22

Established Member
From an AF enlisted point of view. The rank must always have the respect it is warranted. Whether it be a 2nd Lt or Maj. But in the world of the AF we have a couple different scenarios. We have Os from ROTC, Academy, or prior enlisted (this is all my experience from the comm world).

Generally I have not ran into or worked for a butter bar (2nd Lt) that was from the academy, but the Captains that I have worked for are generally pretty stuck up:shrug: Prior E officers are either super cool or are douche bags because they think they get automatic respect because they were prior E. ROTC officers (new butter bars) seem to be the worst. I'm not sure what the hell they tell them in ROTC, but everyone of them that has passed into my work place always feels like they have something to prove and they are the best thing since the invention of the powered flying aircraft to the AF. This is highly annoying and usually erodes morale because despite the fact they have absolutely zero expiercne in the AF and zero knowledge of our equipment they still out rank us and can tell us what to do.

I had a bad year or so where we had no SNCO and not one but 2 fresh butter bars running our section morale sucked a nut and our section looked like shit because these two butter bars could not relate to us the things that needed to get because they had no idea what the hell we worked on. Also unfortunately for me ALL of the NCOs in my shop were also new and were not sure of the equipment. But for some funky ass reason, in meetings I would try to tell the Lts what need to be done and what would and couldn't work. That shit doesn't seem to be able to pass through to their brains unless an NCO told them. Again unfortunately between me, NCO, and Lt a lot of shit got lost in translation. I will end that rant with "**** that year glad it is over".

Awesomely though we got a new batch of experienced SNCOs and they straightened those two Lts up.

One thing to remember about the military is no matter where you are in your career there is always someone that outranks you and you will have to take out the trash....

I think a really good perspective here, especially from one who has been there done that :beer:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
: they get the dirt jobs of the officer corps.

Isn't this a no-brainer? That's like saying the privates get the dirt jobs instead of the E-8s and E-9s...Of course the low man on the totem pole will get shitty stuff to do.

That said, you're also right. LT's are looked at as privates. But they also do receive the respect from enlisted members due to their rank.

LT's have no experience and whether or not that LT will get real respect is up to that LT. If you act like a douche, you'll be looked upon as one.

BTW, I'm an LT.

Users who are viewing this thread