what is it like driving on the street with drag radials?

blownfox

Established Member
I just went from nittos street tires to nittos Dr's and it was night and day. I had no ttraction in 1st, 2nd, or, 3rd gears and now my car hooks like no other. I've only been in the rain once and they did alright.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
nittos are the most street-friendly. they leave a bit to be desired at the track if you're over 500rwhp.

i have nitto 315's on my cobra which is just under 600rwhp--these will spin quite a bit at the track, but are perfect for 40mph rolls in 2nd once they're heated up a bit. i've had them on that car for 7k miles.

i have nitto 275's on my 375rwhp GTO. they hook great. in fact, i cannot spin the tires at all in first, and only chirp them a bit with quick 1-2 shifts. i pretty much daily drive my GTO, and have had no issues, even being stuck in florida downpours--but i am careful not to push the car at all in the rain.

DARK GEARS

Banned
The Nittos worked great on my Z28. Didin't have much power but I wouldn't spin em at all really. I could launch at 3500 with 35psi without a burnout and dead hook when they were new. As they worn out they lose the ability to hook so well. They handled great, but picked up every rock on the road which got a little annoying. Wasn't much power, just 355rwhp.

Daily driving BFGs is a bad idea. They are literally bald when they are brand new. They waste quick.

juliet2kg

Established Member
Running MTs here for the past 2 years or so. Great on the track, but don't perform so well on the street IMO, and NEVER in the rain. My previous sets have been good, but these new ones I recently got feel like crap on the highway, but still do well on the track. And I have to fix the damn scraping issue... I have too many gouges in the driver's side tire.

fast02gt

Established Member
I have had 3 sets of nitto's and I can say they are very easy to know what they are going to do. They wear good, and they have good traction for any street encounter. Unless your street racing everyday and have 600hp and your always on your shit then your gonna need a sticker tire. I.E. MT's BFG. You will not get the treadlife but you will hook better. The nittos in the rain can get sketchy at 65 in the rain..dont try and change lanes fast..lol I have had a close call. just stay in the slow lane and ride it out. hope this helps.

duomaxwell

Established Member
Wow, thanks to every one who posted this helps a lot! What psi are some of you running on the nitto’s, any one have the new toyo TQ drag radials?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I don't think I'll ever use a DR on the street again after I almost put my car in a guardrail. Had Nittos that were low on tread and the car spun out in the rain for no reason.

I've got Kumho XS in the rear now. They are 200 treadwear 'autocross' tires that stick amazing on the street, but have plenty of siping for rain, unlike any DR's.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have enjoyed my nittos ., have had several sets over the years, I went to toyo TQ's this time, to try them out, so far, so good :-D

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I did it all the time. Sort of need too when you are driving with 650+ on the street. It never felt comfortable in high speed nor would I take high speed turns with them on. Never drive them in the rain. They can feel stable and then all the sudden your hydroplaning. Expect to not get much milage out of them. The BFG's and MT were the stickeist I had but only would last a couple thousand miles. The Nittos were worthless for traction fared better in the rain and lasted a lot longer.

EDIT: My friends hated driving behind me becuase I would pepper their cars on any road that had a little gravel.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I have nittos right now, I used to have GSD3s and want to go back to em. I noticed a difference in handling and road noise after switching to the nittos, (I have 305/35/18s). Also, the GSD3s are AWESOME in the rain, where as the nittos will hydro easily with anything more than a drizzle.

It's an OK drag radial, but unless you heat it up and let some air out it only hooks a bit better than a really nice street tire..:shrug:

Now BFG DRs on the other hand hook hard! I had them on my stock wheels, (275s, don't try getting the 315s they run way wider than the nittos). They're horrible in the rain though, and lasted less than 2,000 miles street driven miles. :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread