What IS that noise...

waydeg

Established Member
There seems to be a whine coming from the back of the car. I'm thinking transmission or rear end. I've never had this with my old toploaders and just curious what it might be. Couple of things to consider.
1. No problem in shifting or hitting gears - transmission is smooth
2. Whine is obvious when accelerating but gone when I pull my foot off the gas. Same with cruise control. Whine as it accelerates to maintain speed - gone when cruising steady.
3. No grinding, bumping or other odd noises - just the whine

Until I get it to the dealer, any ideas?
Thanks

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
There seems to be a whine coming from the back of the car. I'm thinking transmission or rear end. I've never had this with my old toploaders and just curious what it might be. Couple of things to consider.
1. No problem in shifting or hitting gears - transmission is smooth
2. Whine is obvious when accelerating but gone when I pull my foot off the gas. Same with cruise control. Whine as it accelerates to maintain speed - gone when cruising steady.
3. No grinding, bumping or other odd noises - just the whine

Until I get it to the dealer, any ideas?
Thanks

From your description it seems to be gear whine from your differential.

slider701

Established Member
Ford factory 8.8 gears are junk and are you are lucky to get 20K miles before they start whining. A good way to tell if it is the rear end is to try to "float" the power to the rear when driving.

i.e. - on the highway around 55-60 gently ease into and out of the gas.....kind of floating or meshing/un-meshing the ring/pinion gear in the diff if you can visualize that. Typically the ring gears in the Mustangs (and other Ford cars that use the 8.8 like F150 and Explorers) will whine when you just get back into the gas and the pinion is fully meshing with the ring gear.

Once you tune yourself into it the noise will become apparent to you every time you drive, almost like you can play a song off the ring gear. Ford sets the gears up very loose from the factory for assembly purposes and thus it decreases the life of the gear and also the clutch packs if you have a LS diff. The good thing is that even though it is annoying it is probably not going to fail anytime soon. If it is under warranty I'd get it fixed but make sure they have a tech that actually know how to set a get up correctly.

waydeg

Established Member
Is it possible that this gear noise coming through the shifter?
I've seen a couple of posts that say to install gasket kits.

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/index.htm

What do you guys think? From Cobra Bob's Shifter site...

"Well actually this is gear noise that is transmitted through the stock and aftermarket billet shifters. Early on a few folks added a piece silicone rubber material between the 2-piece shifter handle. A better solution is to use my shifter gasket set which includes both two shifter handle gaskets and a shifter base gasket. While not free, it is close to it at only $6.00 a set. Sets for other Mustangs are available as well."

Users who are viewing this thread