What is the Backspacing of 93 Cobra rims?

usmclightning

Established Member
Just wondering what the backspacing is on the 93 Cobra rims. I have a set, but they need some work. I am considering putting a set of chrome aftermarket 93 Cobra rims with the 26mm backspacing if it on my 93 Cobra if the will work. I know they will stick out a little in the back, but how about the front? Please help! I need to give my wife a Christmas idea.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Tell her you want a 3 some, thats the gift that just keeps on going for a long time.

I think the back space is 4.5 or 5.5, try doing a search on the site as this has been talked about many times on here before.

usmclightning

Established Member
Yea, I think we can do that in the Cobra just pop the hatch and take pictures! J/K I will seach it. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Kinda surprised the actual specs aren't in the sticky with all the other '93 Cobra info. Regardless, it's the fronts that will stick out, not ther rears. The rears will just sit flush like they should have from Ford, not all narrow-ass sunk in the wheel wells; but the fronts will actually stick out @1/2"-3/4" past the fender lip, if mine is a typical indication.

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
What are you looking for the offset or the back spacing? If you are talking in MM you are talking about the offset. If you are talking in inches, you are talking about backspacing (the distance from the inside of the rim to the face of the mounting flange) 93 cobra backspacing is 4.95 inches, 93 Pony wheels are 4.5 inches. I think that the offset is 20mm on stock 93 cobra wheels. Offset is the measurement of how much the mounting surface of the wheel is "offset" from the wheel center.

Last edited:

85GTVince

Road Racer
Established Member
The backspace is 5.36".

The offset is 40.9mm (or in inches 1.61").

Offset measures the distance from the center of the wheel to the mounting flange. This is more accurate and this is usually the way t hat OEM's specify wheels.

Backspacing measures the distance from the inside lip of the wheel to the mounting flange. The backspace measurement is less accurate due to the different ways that people take the inside lip measurement.

---Vince

stangbear427

Established Member
VR93SVT said:
How come the rears wont stick out?? i thought they both would have problems.
They both can, if the car is lowered. However, if you look at any stock Mustang (except maybe the IRS cars) you'll notice that the front track is much wider than the rear. Ford sunk the rears in deeper because they were too cheap to put a panhard in the Mustang, and so the upper control arms are left with the task of keeping the rear end centered. It's a job they suck at, so the lazyass solution was to keep the tires farther away from the body. Obviously, this isn't a problem on the fronts for the same reason it isn't a problem on IRS equipped cars, so the fronts are located out where they actually look good right from the factory. So, stepping both the fronts and rears out the same amount puts the fronts past the fender lip, whereas the rears are only brought closer to it. All depending on tire/wheel width, naturally.

Users who are viewing this thread