What is the best oil to use in my 01?

1997stang

Established Member
Hey guys, im going to be changing my oil today and was wondering what is the best oil to use for the 01 cobras. What do you guys use?

Thanks,
Mike

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
German Spec Castrol 0W30 weight. Bottle says European spec now.

7 quarts and a good filter. Ford or K&N.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I like that...two guys with less than 300 total posts between the two of them tell the slightly newer guy to use the search button. While 3 others guys provide the answer in seconds...using just about the same amount of typing. Loosen up guys. This is svtperformance.com...not corner-carvers.com.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I like that...two guys with less than 300 total posts between the two of them tell the slightly newer guy to use the search button. While 3 others guys provide the answer in seconds...using just about the same amount of typing. Loosen up guys. This is svtperformance.com...not corner-carvers.com.

lol.

Tarball

Established Member
I've used:

Motorcraft 5w-20
Mobil1 0w-30
Royal Purple 5w-20
German Castol 0w-30

I stopped the RP due to cost.
I stopped GC due to it not meeting the ford spec and being closer to a 40 then a 30.
I'm on Mobil1 now, but since it feels the same at MC I'll be moving to Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-30 after this change as its cheaper, and is a great performer.

My94GT

Established Member
vegetableoil88oz.jpg

edit- also mobil one works great

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I'm on Mobil1 now, but since it feels the same at MC I'll be moving to Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-30 after this change as its cheaper, and is a great performer.

Have you priced Motorcraft Full Syn? I couldn't get it for less than $7/qt through the dealer, and that was only 10% over dealer cost.

Pennzoil Platinum is every bit as good as MC Full Syn and only $4.60/qt if you buy the 5 qt jugs from Wal-Mart. PP also meets Ford specs (WSS M2C930-A and WSS-M2C929-A) as well and GM 4718M (Corvette spec for no oil cooler) and Acura HT0-06 (DI turbo).

It also typically returns better UOAs than M1.

Last edited:

realitygt

Established Member
i'd only use mobil 1 or motorcraft 5w-30. I used 5w-20 in my gt and was burning some oil, guess it was a little bit too thin.

Tarball

Established Member
Have you priced Motorcraft Full Syn? I couldn't get it for less than $7/qt through the dealer, and that was only 10% over dealer cost.

Pennzoil Platinum is every bit as good as MC Full Syn and only $4.60/qt if you buy the 5 qt jugs from Wal-Mart. PP also meets Ford specs (WSS M2C930-A and WSS-M2C929-A) as well and GM 4718M (Corvette spec for no oil cooler) and Acura HT0-06 (DI turbo).

It also typically returns better UOAs than M1.

My local Walmart had MC for about 75% the cost of mobil1

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
MC Syn Blend or MC Full Syn? I've never seen MC Full Syn (gold cap) at a Wal-Mart.

Users who are viewing this thread