What is the best stuff to put on the plastic trim on our GT500's?

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
What is the best stuff to put on the plastic trim (to bring back the black) on our GT500's? I'm talking about pieces like the rear lower plastic panel, the heat extractor vent on the hood, front plastic valence etc.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
As a bass boat owner I can vouch for Aerpspace 303. I put it on my boat's black dash and vinyl seats. No oil residue. Look it up. Good stuff. I haven't needed to to apply to the Shelby but I sure will/would.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I hate to reveal my secrets, but Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detail Spray, works GREAT. I even use it on the flat black stripes. Better than other products, and lasts forever!

jonw605

Established Member
The aerospace 303 is great stuff. It won't bring back the black like "back to black" (which works well for about a month), but it is specifically designed for UV protection. Nothing works better that I am aware of to PREVENT plastic color fade. Spendy and totally worth it IMO.

barspen

Established Member
The aerospace 303 is great stuff. It won't bring back the black like "back to black" (which works well for about a month), but it is specifically designed for UV protection. Nothing works better that I am aware of to PREVENT plastic color fade. Spendy and totally worth it IMO.

+1 - I use 303 for the larger trim areas. Works on the tires too.

I use a product called 'PigSpit Original' for the front grill and heater hoses or other hard to reach areas. It has a very fine mist that you don't need to wipe off. The stuff is amazing, IMHO.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I use Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. It lasts for months and is fantastic for keeping gunk and grime off the fender liners.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
So, if the heat extractor vent is a little sun faded, should I use magic eraser first (to get the oxidation off) and then use one of these products to finish it off?

fullboogie

Established Member
I hate to reveal my secrets, but Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detail Spray, works GREAT. I even use it on the flat black stripes. Better than other products, and lasts forever!

That doesn't leave a waxy/white residue? I have some of that in the cabinet and may try it.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I've tried it all and NOTHING is like Adam's In and Out spray. Look it up on YouTube, there are some videos of them using it on all sorts of trim parts. You can spray it right on the plastic, no rubbing or buffing, no slinging or running or dripping and best of all; if you get it on the paint or glass, it just wipes right off with no effort and NO SMEARS!

I use it on my engine as well, no belt slip, no greasy mess, no sticky dust magnet...

I buy that stuff by the case and I LOVE IT!

Last edited:

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
How long does any of these applications last? I mean, how often does it need to be re-applied? My GT500 will get driven alot for the first 90 days (until the 90 day warranty is over, lol). So it will be out in the Florida sun frequently with only shade until noon or one o'clock. After 90 days or so, it will go into garage rotation with the Marauder, lol.

Black Sex

Established Member
How long does any of these applications last? I mean, how often does it need to be re-applied? My GT500 will get driven alot for the first 90 days (until the 90 day warranty is over, lol). So it will be out in the Florida sun frequently with only shade until noon or one o'clock. After 90 days or so, it will go into garage rotation with the Marauder, lol.

Solution Finish is supposed to last around 8-10 months

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
That doesn't leave a waxy/white residue? I have some of that in the cabinet and may try it.

No residue, that's why I like using it as a detail spray, for both the paint and the trim.

I was hesitant to use it on the OEM flat black stripes, but once applied, I knew I made the right choice. I apply it to all the trim and plastic pieces (hood vent, rear diffuser, front splitter, stripes, mirrors, etc.). It leaves a very smooth, dry, satin finish that makes the trim look just right. I personally do not like wet, slimy, silicone products. This spray seems to "wick/saturate" over a 24hr period, leaving behind a very even smooth finish, not spotty. I also use their wax, which has something called "cross-linking" technology, which Meguiars says sets up overnight, giving a very even shine to the car, and I think the Ultimate Quick Detail Spray, shares this same characteristic.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I was reading about that Adam's In and Out Spray. Seems too good to be true. But, I was also wondering how long the stuff would last once applied. I think what I will do is order some Adams. Meanwhile, I will try the Meguiar's Ultimate Detail Spray since I have a fresh bottle at the house anyway. BTW, that is what I have been using on the 86 GT vert for the last couple years. Even though it is predominately a garage queen, when the water hits that paint, it beads up like crazy! Also, I am pretty sure I used it on the flat black "GT" decal that covers the entire center section of the hood with good results and no streaking. However, I will do that decal again just to refresh my memory.

Users who are viewing this thread