What is the boost by pass mod?

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
Still like a strait answer on what this mod is good for, no one has really sited any real benifits. On the auto trans lightning it seems like it might be worth while but no one knows on a cobra.
Any one running a pulley still have the boost bypass valve unmolested.

nj7703

Established Member
The RPM link explains the how too, and what it does. Seems like WOT Bypass? Not sure of the long term benefits of this. Will it help on the Dyno under WOT?

SNKBITE

Established Member
The Boost By-Pass valve will dump the achieved boost if you hit the rev limiter, thus protecting the engine (??). By disabeling it you take away this action.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
The RPM link explains the how too, and what it does. Seems like WOT Bypass? Not sure of the long term benefits of this. Will it help on the Dyno under WOT?

RPMoutlet has no idea what they are talking about. The boost bypass mode does not regulate the WOT boost to 8psi as several people have smaller then stock pulleys and run significantly higher then 8psi with the boost bypass connected. What the boost bypass does do is prevent the PCM from pulling boost when you hit the rev-limiter and shift. The PCM dumps boost when you hit the rev-limiter for obvious reasons which is a good thing as far as I am concerned. The problem is it also pulls boost when you shift this is to prevent transmission failures. The 03 Cobra is not the first car they did this to I believe most Ford vehicles including mustangs have the timing pulled between shifts for the same reason.

All you need to do is remove the electrical connector to the dump valve. Don't screw with how they say to do it as its not necessary. I have hit the rev limiter to many times and the car will not blow. If you have the stock chip it will be very piss'd at you though and drive like sh*t for some time which is the computer trying to retard your driving.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
RPMoutlet has no idea what they are talking about. The boost bypass mode does not regulate the WOT boost to 8psi as several people have smaller then stock pulleys and run significantly higher then 8psi with the boost bypass connected. What the boost bypass does do is prevent the PCM from pulling boost when you hit the rev-limiter and shift. The PCM dumps boost when you hit the rev-limiter for obvious reasons which is a good thing as far as I am concerned. The problem is it also pulls boost when you shift this is to prevent transmission failures. The 03 Cobra is not the first car they did this to I believe most Ford vehicles including mustangs have the timing pulled between shifts for the same reason.

All you need to do is remove the electrical connector to the dump valve. Don't screw with how they say to do it as its not necessary. I have hit the rev limiter to many times and the car will not blow. If you have the stock chip it will be very piss'd at you though and drive like sh*t for some time which is the computer trying to retard your driving.

Thank you for that. Was a bit confusing, but what you said makes sense. :beer:

Brucealeg

Established Member
I wish there seemed to be a 100% answer on this. For every person I read that says it's unsafe and needless, there is another that says it's super great.

Bruce

Last edited:

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
for stock, its pointless.... if u have intake/exhuast works awesome

Marc

Brucealeg

Established Member
I have intake/exhaust. So they only down side is losing the safety feature of the rev limiter? Sounds like a big risk as I've hit the rev limiter several times.

Bruce

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Only reason I'd do it is to maintain boost while powershifting.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
This has been covered before. Don't do it. It's there for safety.

When you get a chip/tune, this can be controlled by the chip, which still leaves it's safety function intact. Disconnecting the boost bypass completely is a bad idea from the people "in the know" here and on other message boards with 03 Cobras.

Just because RPMoutlet gives you instructions on how to do it doesn't make it a valuable mod. If you remove your air filter, you'll get more air into the engine and therefore get more power! But you might get dirt and rocks and things in the engine and damage it in the long run. Point made.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
This has been covered before. Don't do it. It's there for safety.

When you get a chip/tune, this can be controlled by the chip, which still leaves it's safety function intact. Disconnecting the boost bypass completely is a bad idea from the people "in the know" here and on other message boards with 03 Cobras.

Just because RPMoutlet gives you instructions on how to do it doesn't make it a valuable mod. If you remove your air filter, you'll get more air into the engine and therefore get more power! But you might get dirt and rocks and things in the engine and damage it in the long run. Point made.

excellent opinion, thanks for clearing it up.

PS do you know where Lake Forest is?

Users who are viewing this thread