What is the difference between round and oval Magnaflow mufflers?

97_CobraCnvrtbl

Established Member
I think I've decided to replace the stock mufflers with Magnaflow mufflers and keep all else stock. I went to a dealer and the person I talked to recommended round instead of oval mufflers to get the sound I'm looking for, I would prefer ovals as that is what the stock mufflers are. He thinks the ovals would be too aggresive sounding, although he admits to only having used ovals on more modified cars (headers, shortpipes...). He's been in business for 25 years and is willing to do the labor for free if I go with ovals just so he can hear what it would sound like and add it to his experience.

I wish I were more like the rest of you guys and change what I please. I'm so afraid of changing this car from stock it almost makes me Ill, but I'm just not happy with the stock sound. Maybe therapy is in order.

p.s. If ovals are recommended, does anyone have part#'s for exact replacement. Now somebody's telling me to replace the catback and keep the stock system for future reinstall to get back to stock exhaust system. All one piece??? My how things have changed.

Yes! I am a newbie...

Col95Cobra

dude.. you're changing the exhaust... that equals not stoack at all anymore.. if you're gonna do it go for the one that'll be free install and still have a good sound.. go for some LT's a new x pipe etc while you're at it too.. i'm sure you'll be happier.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
i think what your being told is to put in the magnapacks(round), as to the standard magnaflow muffler(oval), if so the round ones are going to be a bit louder and deeper than the oval, but it is still going to be loud and sound good either way, but as above I would aslo go with the free install on the mufflers

97_CobraCnvrtbl

Established Member
I'm actually looking for a deep quiet tone, not necessarily loud. I know I'm showing my age, but I'm looking for that deep, strong, muscle sounding tone I use to get back when I worked on cars in the 70's. I know the motor doesn't have the cubic inch they did back then and that plays a big role, but a couple years ago I heard a Cobra ( I wish I had mine back then, I would have asked questions) that had the best sounding exhaust I've heard in years, I wish it were still around, but it was relatively quiet and DEEP. If oval is the quieter of the two, thats probably what I'll go with.

Thanks for the replies!

scothew_gt

Established Member
yes, the magnaflows are hte oval and the magnapacks are the round. the Packs are gonna be louder and more noticeable than the flows. w/ the stock h-pipe, the magnaflows have a great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread