What is the widest tire I can fit?

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have 255/40/17s all the way around on my '90GT, with IRS, and they fit no problem. I could run 275s in the rear if I had a straight axle, maybe a little wider, but I think 315 is not going to work. I have heard of guys running 275s in front, but have not seen it.

KoBra2.2blk04vt

gone but not forgotten
Established Member
I have nitto 315's on the rear of my fox, had to bend inner finder lip flat and roll fender and used northracecar brake braket, that's with stock lengh axle, the 95 axle is longer than fox stock axle I don't think it will fit. I have 245's on the front with 94-95 spindles. I have the same rims you want to run on your car. To make that tire and rim fit the trick is to use the stock lengh axle and northracecar brake braket. hope this helps good luck. Here are a few pic's of the 245 and 315's on 17's http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/659166-92-notch.html

Last edited:

93LX50

THE PUNISHER
Established Member
I'm runnin' 315 Nitto's on 17x10 PONY wheels on mine. I just had to roll the fender lip, massage a couple spots on the inner fender and pull the quad shock. Click on the thumbnail to make the picture bigger.

th_garage.jpg

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have 275's all the way around on mine using my stock 03 cobra wheels and the north race cars rear bracket. I'm just now ready to put it back on the road, and I can already see that the front is going to be cutting it pretty damn close.

93LX50

THE PUNISHER
Established Member
I have 275's all the way around on mine using my stock 03 cobra wheels and the north race cars rear bracket. I'm just now ready to put it back on the road, and I can already see that the front is going to be cutting it pretty damn close.

Thats a pretty big tire for the front, not sure if you're gonna be able to fully turn without some heavy rubbing

WillyB93

Established Member
There's a lot of talking about this subject in the foxbody cobra forum same site!!!

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member

how the hell are you running a 275??? my 225's are rubbing my coil overs!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
how the hell are you running a 275??? my 225's are rubbing my coil overs!

LOL. That doesn't sound right...Doug is running 255's without rubbing, so how are you having issues with a stock width tire?

As for problems...honestly, I don't know yet. The car hasn't done anything other than go around the block since I rebuilt the engine and did the 5 lug upgrade. It's looking like it'll be super tight, and I may even need to dial in a touch of negative camber to ensure it clears. If that's the case, I'll probably drop back to a 255 up front.

As long as the tires clear the outside of the fender ok, I'll just put rack limiters on the thing to prevent lockup while cornering. I'll let you guys know how it pans out. The wife and baby are out of town this weekend, so I'll be spending some time in the garage messing around with the car.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Thats a pretty big tire for the front, not sure if you're gonna be able to fully turn without some heavy rubbing

Yeah I know. I'll be fussing with it over the weekend...until now it hasn't been very high on my priority list because the inside of the car was nothing but sheet metal.

I'm going to give the whole front suspension a good look over this weekend checking for clearance issues. I'll report back what I come up with.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Well stock spindles would have you using rotors that have the lugs built into them. Spindles from an SN-95 car would have the lugs built into the spindle....

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i have 255 40 17s on front but they rub when i cut the wheel all the way. it has been lowerd though

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
pretty sure its stock then...

Yeah...fix that :poke:

i have 255 40 17s on front but they rub when i cut the wheel all the way. it has been lowerd though

I'm not worried about that to much. Rack limiters will solve that problem. I'm worried about the tire striking the fender lip and jacking up my paint. It's close. My car is also lowered. In fact, I lifted it with lowering springs.

wheelhopper

Established Member
The wife and baby are out of town this weekend, so I'll be spending some time in the garage messing around with the car.

WooHoo!! Party at Mikes house!

FYI, my fox is lowered with H&R race springs, with the 255s. I did'nt mention it earlier cause I just figure that everyone has lowered any Mustang they own.

Users who are viewing this thread