What is the worst thing for a paint job?

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Can you guys tell me what the worst thing for a paint job is as far as wear? What will dull and wear paint the quickest and fastest? Could you list them in order from what you think? I am talking elements like direct sunlight/heat, rain, snow, wind, being near salt water, etc.???

crizzut

Established Member
why? I can't give you a list of things that would tarnish a paint, but as long as it's garaged and properly cared for it'll last for years.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
csvtjohnga said:
bird crap

+1 on bird crap. Next in line is bug guts. A close body shop friend of mine says if bird crap stays on the paint for more than a few minutes, the paint is ruined. He told me to carry a bottle of water and clean towels when I go places in case it happens. Well now I carry QD and microfiber towels in the car at all times.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Chonger said:
Can you guys tell me what the worst thing for a paint job is as far as wear? What will dull and wear paint the quickest and fastest? Could you list them in order from what you think? I am talking elements like direct sunlight/heat, rain, snow, wind, being near salt water, etc.???

A bra. Ya get moisture trapped under it and it will dull the paint and eventually change its hue. I've even seen the moisture cause paint peel as well. Car bra's are the dumbest thing ever made for a car. So are women's bra's too.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
wvmystichrome said:
+1 on bird crap. Next in line is bug guts. A close body shop friend of mine says if bird crap stays on the paint for more than a few minutes, the paint is ruined. He told me to carry a bottle of water and clean towels when I go places in case it happens. Well now I carry QD and microfiber towels in the car at all times.
+2 for bird crap. I've always heard that this is your paint's worst enemy.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
washin and drying your car improperly BY FAR

wiping when drying instead of patting will scratch every time

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
A bra. Ya get moisture trapped under it and it will dull the paint and eventually change its hue. I've even seen the moisture cause paint peel as well. Car bra's are the dumbest thing ever made for a car. So are women's bra's too.

That car bra myth is not true. If you bought a Colgan Custom bra (the finest company currently available) & only used it on long trips & guarantee it will not scratch or harm your nice paint it any way. I'm a perfectionist to the 10th degree, I own 2 black cars, & I use to detail for a pro. Wash the car, put the bra on, enjoy the protection it provides & don't leave it on forever... :beer: This is the recipe for a flawless front bumper & top portion of your hood (the area where most bug spatters & rock chips occur). I dont lie or mess around when it come to cars... ! :nonono:

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
crizzut said:
not if you use a quit detailer and clean microfibers.

wrong. If you WIPE the car dry with anything you will scratch the paint

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
That car bra myth is not true. If you bought a Colgan Custom bra (the finest company currently available) & only used it on long trips & guarantee it will not scratch or harm your nice paint it any way. I'm a perfectionist to the 10th degree, I own 2 black cars, & I use to detail for a pro. Wash the car, put the bra on, enjoy the protection it provides & don't leave it on forever... :beer: This is the recipe for a flawless front bumper & top portion of your hood (the area where most bug spatters & rock chips occur). I dont lie or mess around when it come to cars... ! :nonono:

The key is what you stated. Don't leave the bra on forever.

crizzut

Established Member
JSpeed said:
wrong. If you WIPE the car dry with anything you will scratch the paint

you can't scratch it if there's nothing on the surface. That's what makes swirls. A small amount of dirt on the paint or on the microfiber would yield a scratch. I can put up a picture of my paint that gets lots of compliments on the shine and depth and I wipe every time I dry. If you use the right stuff in the right way you won't hurt the paint. You just have to be gentle. BTW I can count the light scratches on my car on one hand.

car.jpg

Tibbys96Z

Soulless 7
Established Member
I actually saw a guy at the car wash using the brush to clean his black car. When the soap stoped he rubbed it on the ground where there were some suds and started scrubbing again. I couldn't believe my eyes!
Using dirty cleaning stuff is bad. Wiping when the car is dirty. Living near salt water, or driving on salted roads, Bird poo, bug splatter. I don't think rain, snow, wind, sun etc is all that bad as long as you properly clean and polish your car.
Zaino is your friend :)

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Paint from the facotory as far as i know, is suppose to be super durable beacuse all the women etc in the world that dont care about paint.

Users who are viewing this thread