What is the worst thing for a paint job?

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Can you guys tell me what the worst thing for a paint job is as far as wear? What will dull and wear paint the quickest and fastest? Could you list them in order from what you think? I am talking elements like direct sunlight/heat, rain, snow, wind, being near salt water, etc.???

The Engineer

Established Member
1. Sunlight - it's a given
2. Hard Water - like sprinkler water, it will eat clearcoats if left alone
3. Bird Crap - very acidic, be sure to remove it ASAP
4. Wind - really only if you live in a desert area where it can throw sand at your paint constantly. Keep at it with a claybar to keep the paint contaminent free.

I live in FL too so I don't have experience with Snow, but I would imagine it's not the snow that hurts paint but rather the salt treatements they use on the roads that can eat through paint in no time.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Bologna
bologna.jpg

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
MMShaggy said:
holy shit you took a picture of your lunch....too funny man.
anyway
i think sandpaper, sandstorm, a stray cat, and fat sex on the hood....none of these are good for your paint. hope i have helped

Scott P

Established Member
The factors affecting your paint are numerous and vary from region to region. In coastal ares, you have salt air causing problems. In the north, you have road salt and sand, both of which can degrade or even cause marring when washed off. The sun is a big threat, but it much more of a threat in the southern climates than the north.

There really isn't a definitive ranking of things that can harm paint. Each factor will vary based on geographic location and season.

Users who are viewing this thread