DSCN0536.gif

DSCN0537.gif

DSCN0538.gif

DSCN0539.gif

Stitch

Established Member
whitehorsegt said:
looks like coolant???

That's what I was thinking. But A: Coolant is green, only time I've seen stuff like this was from additives (Which I don't use nor have ever put in). B: How would it get to the top of the heads like that?

whitehorsegt

"Tampa Stock"
Established Member
Stitch said:
That's what I was thinking. But A: Coolant is green, only time I've seen stuff like this was from additives (Which I don't use nor have ever put in). B: How would it get to the top of the heads like that?
very true...did u pull ur dipstick out...does it look like that...blown head gasket?

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Nah, oil gets a little frothy over time if it is not allowed to reach full operating temp, before the car is shut down. Do you go for a lot of short drives in your Cobra? If so than this is the answer to your problem. Many people have this problem right under there oil fill caps, its not an issue, and is highly unlikely that its coolant.

Plus once you change your oil you'll know right away whether or not coolant is getting into your oil, so if your that paranoid than just do that.

Paul

Stitch

Established Member
Yeah, I live about 5 minutes if that from work. I actually make a loop around to drive for atleast 10 minutes to get the car somewhat warmed up.

I check the dipstick about once a week to measure any burn off or oil loss. Oil looks good. I'm due for an oil change however and I'll take a more closer look then.

Just odd that its in the breather like that. Also odd how much is pouring out onto the valve cover. Kind of annoying. I wish there was something I could do to limit how much oil gets thrown out.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
What causes the froth?

Since the car never reaches operating temp that would evaporate any condensation that accumulates in the engine is this just a buildup of that condensation in the valve covers?

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Mine don't look like that. I would take some pics but I cleaned them 2 weeks ago. Never had oil run out either.

Plan to switch to homemade oil separator.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
thats a bad head gasket.

its coolant mixed with oil that your seeing. some times you do get a condensation problem but it wouldnt be that bad, you would just get it a little bit on the bottom of your oil fil cap or a little bit on your breather if it was a condenstaion problem. but you can see it going all the way in your valve cover.
do a compression check on it

J

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
no_slow_svt said:
thats a bad head gasket.

its coolant mixed with oil that your seeing. some times you do get a condensation problem but it wouldnt be that bad, you would just get it a little bit on the bottom of your oil fil cap or a little bit on your breather if it was a condenstaion problem. but you can see it going all the way in your valve cover.

J
I agree. Bummer on the motor. :( My last boat had oil that looked like that -- I'm thinking it was due to some water left in the block when I winterized it and it froze and cracked the block. Good luck getting it repaired.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
that is not a blown head gasket. Oil gets frothy if you only drive it on short trips.

Oil will run out of there if you haven't cleaned them in a while. Oil saturates the cotton gauze and will eventually not hold all the oil. I put some socks over mine and i get no oil mist. Also, since you can see them getting dirty, you know when to change them.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
quadcammer said:
that is not a blown head gasket. Oil gets frothy if you only drive it on short trips.

Oil will run out of there if you haven't cleaned them in a while. Oil saturates the cotton gauze and will eventually not hold all the oil. I put some socks over mine and i get no oil mist. Also, since you can see them getting dirty, you know when to change them.

Thank you. I don't know why some people immediately jump to saying "yep bad head gasket good luck on a new motor" like they know what they're talking about when it was just posted exactly what was happening with his motor.

The frothy oil is being caused by him taking short trips and the oil not reaching full temperature. It'd be appreciated if the blown head gasket or cracked block posts end.

Paul

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
no_slow_svt said:

J

it takes 20 mins to do a comp check.
i would do it for a piece of mind. and then that way you know for sure instead of asking all of us computer dorks

J

Stitch

Established Member
Car runs fine. I had a compression check done 6 months ago. All cylinders were 200+ except 7 which was 180. This i expected due to a possibly bad valve guide when I popped a plug.

Coolant level hasn't moved at all but a good flush and fill is due soon. I'll be changing the oil within the next week or two. I'll check the oil then to see if there is any coolant in it.

Since I take short trips every day, I could very well see this happening.

Car burns oil pretty badly though. I've been debating on getting rid of the car or pulling it all apart. Between the noisy rear end, drivetrain vibrations, horrible wheel hop, squeekiness, and motor troubles, it'd almost be better to drop it.

jd93gt

Established Member
Sorry, i have to agree, doesnt seem like frothy oil at the top of the valve cover is enough to say... "yep... sucks for you bud... blown head gasket..."

Change the oil and do a flush while you're at it next time. Flush your coolant and monitor the level afterward to make sure it's not the worst.

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
Wanna see what a blown head gasket looks like? SEAFOAM your car...oh, and that might not be a bad idea to do before you change the oil...

Users who are viewing this thread