What is this tick?! (video)

mtrsprt

Established Member
Is your A/C compressor clicking on and off? Do you have the climate control on defrost?

Booster80

Established Member
I have a similar "click" in my car on startups when cold. A friend told me it is the ac-compressor switching on/off for some reason even if it´s not activated (It´s mostly is in "window-mode" when it happens). Does it affect rpm a little that corrects quickly when i happens?

346CamaroSS

Established Member
negative sir. Idle stays pretty steady the whole time... well, at least as steady as a SBTB will idle.

The thing is, this doesnt happen right off the bat on a cold start.. It only starts "clicking/ticking" when the motor starts to get warm

I've been trying to track it down the last few days and it sounds like its right in the vicinity of the (cylinder) 7 & 8 injectors

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Could also be a lash adjuster. If your due for an oil change, try throwing in some 5w 30 royal purple and see if it stops.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Alright so did some more listening today..

Found out a few things.
-1st tick starts at about 130-135*
-about minute intervals between ticks, until car gets close to operating temp
-shorter, quieter ticks about 30 sec or so apart
-once car is completely warm it goes away.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I may sound like a dick saying this but... I wouldn't worry about the noise that much it doesn't sound all that bad and doesn't occur all that often. Drive the piss out of the thing and if it gets worse then you can worry about a tare down later i guess. These engines are noisy as hell, if i worries about every noise my car makes i would never get a chance to drive the thing and it doesn't even have 25k on it. My injectors are noisy as hell but i don't want to waste money on em cause im thinking of upgrading soon.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
As crazy as this sounds I believe its related to the I/C relay... Will be checking it again later tonight.
And its not the injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread