What is wearing out? (clutch)

midtex01gt

Established Member
Well I purchased this car with a relatively new stage 3 clutch, but after a clutch cable replacement and TONS of slack in the cable, like a dummy, I drove the crap out of it, and now the clutch is slipping big time, and shuddering when it gets into boost. Looking at my sig, am I looking at an entire new clutch? Just a pressure plate? How much $$ am I looking at spending to get this problem fixed?

Got power, but it does you NO GOOD if it ain't on the ground!:cuss:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
If it's slipping and you have an adjustable cable well it maybe time. But I did call ford and got a quote for a clutch replacment. 850 labor, no clutch included, I think about 100 buck or so to cut the flywheel. Probaly would want to upgrade to a liberty spline. Hell you paid 17 so it shouldn't be that bad.

midtex01gt

Established Member
Well I have the labor probably covered. I have a 26 spline input shaft and can get a new stage 4 pressure plate from LFP for about $250....is that all I need to replace? The shifter forks and all the other gears are already new.....it just slips and I have already added the firewall adjuster, but it is all the way out already..

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
.....it just slips and I have already added the firewall adjuster, but it is all the way out already..

the firewall adjuster should be going inward (toward the firewall) as the clutch wears to add freeplay, not outward. It is slipping because there is not enough freeplay, not too much freeplay.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
U should have 1/4 to 1/2" play at pedal before cable gets hard to push w ur hand. As clutch wears u adj. it out w adjuster (takes up wear). U should always maintain the freeplay if that doesn't work it's worn out. W that freeplay and it slips it's toasted. I have a quick quad to get clutch disengaged quicker for shifts yet maintain that freeplay. with excessive slack (freeplay) I would think a major issue getting it to shift. It should be fully engaging the clutch. Buying used cars w clutches pretty much figured clutch was shot. costs $ to get it fixed.

midtex01gt

Established Member
well the clutch grabs a lot sooner, but the slip is still there...

...what is on the order list? parts wise?

Just the spec stage 3+ kit?

what else?

beerMuscles03

Established Member
bump for the same problem with my clutch....i also have a Fiore adjuster and Steeda quick release quadrant. It was fine for a couple weeks, now the clutch is slipping in 3-6 gear when I give it any gas.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
bump for the same problem with my clutch....i also have a Fiore adjuster and Steeda quick release quadrant. It was fine for a couple weeks, now the clutch is slipping in 3-6 gear when I give it any gas.
Try adjusting it as described above -- add freeplay -- turn the adjuster clockwise. They usually need an adjustment after the initial break-in.

beerMuscles03

Established Member
Try adjusting it as described above -- add freeplay -- turn the adjuster clockwise. They usually need an adjustment after the initial break-in.

Ok I tried that and it changed the pedal feel but my clutch is still slipping bad. I think I had the cable too tight after the initial install of the adjuster and it busted the throwout bearing. I get a horrible squeak and squeel noise if I lightly press the clutch in. I'm bringing it to a shop today to have them take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread