What kind of brakes?

southernsindiki

Established Member
I'm sure it's posted somewhere but I can't find it. What are the specs on the front and rear stock brakes for the GT? They don't use drum's do they?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Both front and rear brakes are vented. The fronts I believe are 13" rotors. They might be 12.7, or something like that. The rears are somewhere in the 11" range I believe.

Front calipers are a PBR style 2 piston and rear are single piston. They do a decent job at hauling the car down as I had tested with me 08 GT. The 11 brakes get a slight upgrade from the previous years.

If you want repeatability for tracking purposes etc you'll want to upgrade at some point.

Hopefully somebody has the actual specs laying around.

mus99gt

Established Member
The fronts are 13.2" it is upgraded .4" from the prior years. Rear are 11.8".
They stop just fine for me.

southernsindiki

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'm considering just buying my own upgrade brakes someday instead of getting the brembo pkg. The stock 18's have grown on me!

This is going to be my nighttime/weekend car so it's never going to see a race track, just always wanted a mustang gt. I know I'll probably regret not getting the brembo pkg but who knows.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you have never done, and don't plan on doing in the future, any open track events, then there is absolutely no need to upgrade your brakes.

Unless you want to go to car shows and say... "hey look at my brakes!":shrug::nonono:

zilla8

Established Member
I did not get the Brembo option but instead chose to just upgrade my brake pads to Hawk HPS and Goodridge SS lines.I'll be changing to Motul brake fluid also.

I'm waiting on my parts and will report back once installed and tested.

AmnDucky

Established Member
The fronts are 13.2" it is upgraded .4" from the prior years. Rear are 11.8".
They stop just fine for me.

Of course they stop fine. Spend more than 10 minutes on a track and they will fade like theater lighting though.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
One thing to also keep in mind with the brembo package is that it's more than just the front brakes. The package also receives the GT500 rear suspension bits, stiffer springs and matched shock absorbers, the 19" wheels with summer performance tires (these happen to be the lightest wheel/tires package you can get on a GT from Ford) and you also get more aggressively tuned ESC programming.

If those things are something you want, if its MUCH cheaper to get the package than to add it all in later on at your own cost.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
If you arent tracking it the stockers work great. Put my stockers to the test a few times. lol But if you are hittting the track (which it doesnt seem like) the brembos wont be so susceptible to fade.

For you id say get the stockers and enjoy.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
For just a street car you have nothing to worry about.brakes will work fine. Only heavy braking like open track or hard back road twisties will you need the brembos

Users who are viewing this thread