What kind of hood to get?

Deadeye600

Established Member
I got a 2001 red lightning and was wondering if the ram air hood or the cowl hood is better? Is the hood hard to take off and the new one hard to put on? Would it be better to get someone who know what he was doing? Would I have to take the window washer sprayer off? If anyone orderd one from cervinis, how much was it with shipping?thanks Also if you have pics of your truck with a differnt hood please show me.

Autothrottle

Established Member
Deadeye600
I installed the Cervinis cowl hood on my 01'
It took about two weeks to get it. The cost of the hood was $439 and shipping was about $80-90. Dont forget about painting, That was another $225

The hood fits great and I love the way it make the truck look :)

As far as installing the hood its very easy. I just had to adjust the latch on the hood.
Cervinis give you a window washer sprayer with the kit.

Hood01-vi.jpg

Hood2-vi.jpg

Dscn0108copy-vi.jpg

Dscn0109copy-vi.jpg

Deadeye600

Established Member
the hood paint and install?

Do you know where I could get paint to match the color of my red lightning? How would I put it on, or would I need someone to do it? I never have done anything to a car or truck, not even changed my own oil. Would I be able to put the hood on or should I get someone to?

foreverford

Established Member
You got to start some where,, but the painting, not there,, puting the hood on yea. Thats my opinion, start easy. :D Good luck its a great hobbie.

Autothrottle

Established Member
foreverford
THx :D

Deadeye600
Ask around and see if anyone recommends a body shop. Thats what I did. They will paint and install it for you. Hope this helps.

morrisc

Established Member
man the hood is great, but I love that pillar boost gauge. I must have one! How much and where did you get it?

Autothrottle

Established Member
morrisc
I got mine from JEGS.
You can get single or double gauge pods from them.
I just wanted the single in a 2 5/8. IMO its the perfect size. I can read on the GOOOOO :rolling:

I think the pod is $ 19.99 and the gauge was $48.99.

Not bad.

Deadeye600

Established Member
I heard the ram air hood does not come with screens or ram air kit. I think the ram air hood looks the nicest, but someone told me the cowl hood is the best quality. I also really like the one from auto designs. I want one that won't be to much trouble, the auto design says it comes ready just needs to be painted and the cowl one is not I hear. Does anyone know which one would be better the cowl or the auto design one? I do not want to void my warrnty, and I want the simplest one.thanks for all the posts. the auto designs one is at http://www.americanautodesigns.com/

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Autothrottle - That hood looks great. I just wish you'd stop posting pics of it cause everytime I see that hood on a white L I want to order it. :D:D:D

Autothrottle

Established Member
FlaSVT,
LMAO :D

I installed the Hotchkis kit last week but have not been able to update the pics since the camera out of juice and i'm too lazy to go and buy a another $13 battery.
I should have some updated pics out by next week for your viewing pleasure :r:

Deadeye600

Established Member
thanks for all the help guys, I am so glad I got a ford lightning. My brother has a gmc jimmy dimond edition and my dad has a park ave. ultra and I convinced them ford was just as good if not better.

TampaSVT

Established Member
DeadEye:

Cervinis makes the best quality ram-air style hood, IMO. I looked at all of them before purchasing this one.

The inserts are not hard to make.

eV12929.jpg

Deadeye600

Established Member
TampaSVT
I really like the way your lightning looks, I have seen pics of it and it is my favorite. Thanks for the help I will probaly get the ram air one, its my favorite.

TampaSVT

Established Member
Do you drive in the rain?

Dealers have a fit when they see a hood that draws air in and has no way of stopping the water.

You have a couple of options:
1. If it's not a daily driver, don't worry about it. Make some screens for the hood and have fun.
2. If it is a daily driver, have a bodyshop fill the holes before they paint the hood.

Cervinis is "supposed" to be coming out with a functional ram-air box by the end of the summer. I spoke with them yesterday.

Here's a pic. of the screens. If you decide to go this route, fit them before the bodyshop paints it.

0g17786.jpg

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread