What kind of power is a mach 1 capable of??

hawkster

Established Member
Supercharged 2003-2004 mach 1's how much RWHP is safe for these motors?

What kind of power can you pull out of a mach 1 with bolt ons then how much more with heads??? What kind of power can these engines safely hold??

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
They will take a fair amount of abuse, with about anything. with all the bolt-ons I woudl say 310hp to 320 hp and that might be pushing it. That's what Ive seen 99/01 Cobra's do so it isn't far off with a Mach, and different heads?? No real reason to, maybe cam swaps if you are putting down massive power. And with how will they safely hold, well....your tune decides that for you.

MachOneThis

Established Member
Machs are capable of a lot of power. I have the basic bolt ons on my car and it is running very strong. There is still plenty to do to it as well!!!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
well im going with what 99Cobrablack said.

Full Long Tubes with a good H-pipe & Cat Back, with some other mods...max i believe is 320 to the rear wheels.

u can always go with the power adders but i havent heard folks breaking the code to tune the Mach1's since the stupid A$$ knock senser keeps kicking timing out.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods

u can always go with the power adders but i havent heard folks breaking the code to tune the Mach1's since the stupid A$$ knock senser keeps kicking timing out.
You mean it's some sort of Morse code?:shrug::-D

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
yes....beep beep beeeep beep beeeppppp

greg is a slut :burn: :p
Well I'm sure when they crack the code you will be right on top of that Dave!!:eek: :D

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I dynoed 440 at the rear wheels with the addition of a Vortech supercharger with an after cooler. Since then I've added a 65 mm throttle body, Bassani headers and removed the cats. I plan on returning to the dyno man next week. I'm hoping for near 500 at the rears. Knock on wood...it's been 10k miles since I added the charger and everything seems to be running good so far. The car needs time to warm up in the morning before driving down the road however.

hawkster

Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete what psi are you running on the vortech? I heard a little bit about the mach 1 motor and far as I know the manuals come with a forged steel crank. My question im wondering will the rods and the pistons hold up against 500rwhp.

CATMACH

Crazy
Established Member
A firey moat with flame proof aligators, IN
It doesnt seem to be too hard to get in the 310-320 range with bolt ons. These cars do 270-290 stock. SHM got something like 340 with full exhaust and cams.These are stronger than 99/01 motors, but i am biased!

Last edited:

TheOne™

Established Member
i though the mach 1 came with the same engine from the cobra but without a supercharger(am kind of confused with the whole cobra thing, with the '01 cobra and the cobra R, and the '03 cobra), ain't it the same 4.6 DOHC with the pistons and all that?. if thats right then ya might be able to hit some 400-500 horses.(am still not sure about the engine)

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
the mach 1 engine is more similar to the 99,01 engine than the 03-04 engines. The new cobra engines have iron blocks with fully forged internals, while the mach is an aluminum block with slightly less beefy internals so no the mach 1 wouldnt be ableto withstand the same 700rwhp for long

hawkster

Established Member
Something else that comes to mind. With the mach 1 motor being an alumium block with a supercharger is there any risk of melting the block when racing :shrug:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Hawkster,

Originaly I was running 10-11pounds of boost but since I added the 65mm throttle body, headers and X pipe I have dropped boost pressure to 8 pounds. I have gained hp but lost boost. I contacted Vortech's Tech support line and inquired about a smaller pulley to bring the boost back to 10-11psig and they informed me that was not a wise decision. So the Mach 1 has a 500 hp limit with all the bolt ons and power adders, which I just about have.

My next step is to rebuild the engine and put in forged pistons, rods and heads. I was told this would solve the weak rod issue and would enable me to jump from 500 to 700 hp if I choose to do so, which I will. I was also given a choice of dropping in a Cobra long block which would also solve the problem but the long block is $4k.

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
Originally posted by Mr. Mach-ete
Hawkster,

Originaly I was running 10-11pounds of boost but since I added the 65mm throttle body, headers and X pipe I have dropped boost pressure to 8 pounds. I have gained hp but lost boost. I contacted Vortech's Tech support line and inquired about a smaller pulley to bring the boost back to 10-11psig and they informed me that was not a wise decision. So the Mach 1 has a 500 hp limit with all the bolt ons and power adders, which I just about have.

My next step is to rebuild the engine and put in forged pistons, rods and heads. I was told this would solve the weak rod issue and would enable me to jump from 500 to 700 hp if I choose to do so, which I will. I was also given a choice of dropping in a Cobra long block which would also solve the problem but the long block is $4k.

Check this out.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14196

Just courious why you listed the heads. We have the same heads as the 03/04 Cobra's.

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
I am putting down 448/519 rwhp/rwtq with nitrous. I have ran over 15 bottles through the system, and I have 24,000 miles on the car. My main concern is the bottom end. I would put in a built short block before adding any more power.

hawkster

Established Member
I was thinking forged pistons, manley H beam rods, and switching cams would be good. I know that theres already a forged crank in the mach 1 manuals. I also heard the heads are the same out of the 03 cobras. So buying forged pistons and rods and switching cams would that hold up against 500 to 600 rwhp? I want to run a procharger not sure what psi would get me up there. I'll have all the bolt ons that there is to full exhaust and all.

hawkster

Established Member
Wow! The prices on modular mustang racing are alot better then other places :eek: . If I went with there MMR 4.6 Street MOD 900 im going to be set right? I didnt know mach 1 motors had the same heads as the cobras. I would like to keep the numbers down so when I rebuild it I wont be doing it for a while. I would like to put down around around 600 rwhp but wouldnt mind 700 rwhp max with a procharger. I know its capable of alot more but thats getting to the point of being to much power. What else should I do to help my hook up and quarter mile times? I'm thinking suspension wise. I want to save as much weight as possible but have hard core race ready suspension. I cant spend to much on it cause with the short block and procharger getting it all to work will run me about dry but ill save up and do it later.

Users who are viewing this thread