what kind of power should i be making now?

Snakeman

Established Member
I'll be getting my car back this evening, i'm wondering how much i'll pick up once she's broken in nicely...

*SHM 575HP 7500 RPM race-prepped shortblock
*Ported heads (Just pocket work)
*SHM blower cams
*JBA shorty headers
Vortech @ 6lb
*MSD DIS-4
E'brock dual 62mm throttle body
*Canton road race pan w/windage tray
stock injectors (really need to get 42lb and ditch the fmu)

the asterisked items are the new parts. i ran 112 mph before the mods, which puts the HP somewhere around 400 pre-mods.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I guess the biggest question is who is assembling the motor andhandling the tuning? The tune on that list of mods could make the difference in HP.

If I'm not mistaken, that block is still stock bore and stroke with great internals and slightly lower compression right? You'll actually loose a touch there. The headers should just about make up the lost power though. The cams and heads are really going to make some good power gains, around 40 RWHP. The MSD might get you a couple of ponies, it will help throttle response though. The throttlebody will get you a few more as well.

I'd say in the neighborhood of around 50RWHP to be safe. It may be more. This is going to depend on how high you turn the car with the SC, tuning, and a couple other minor things.

Just remember the Vortech SC is rated for that boost amount on a stock Cobra. That is 6-8PSI @ 6800 usually. If your turning 7500 now the boost is going to increase with the RPMs. To around 8-9 PSI. The setup you have is ready for more boost, providing that you are. ;-)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Snakeman

Established Member
the block has stock 10.5:1 compression
I don't know what the vortech is rated for, I know it was pumping ~6lb of boost before i took it in for the new mods by visual inspection of the gauge during acceleration. since things happen pretty fast around 7k rpm, it is only an estimated #.
the motor is balanced to handle 7500 rpm, though the stock rev limiter kicks in before that. i'm not sure if that can be fully circumvented with a chip, so I may be relegated to shifting below the stock limit.

500 HP sounds about right.
that's the number i'm hoping to hit before i upgrade the fuel system and pump it up to 12lb of boost or so, with a target of 550 RWHP.

even at 500 HP, i'm going to be looking for a stouter transmission soon.

I'll post new numbers as soon as i can!
thanks for the quick reply!
rob

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Stock compression on a 96+ Cobra is 9.85:1 If yours has been raised to this level it will obviously make more power, giving that it is tuned in right. On that same note, Sean Hyland IS quite capable of changing the factory rev and speed limiters with a chip. Make sure that they do that to get the most from your new combination, since the stock rev limiter/fuel shut off is at 7200.

Good luck and let us know how well it does. I'm pretty sure my guestimates were conservative. ;-)

Snakeman

Established Member
since the stock rev limiter/fuel shut off is at 7200.

yeah.
:(

i found that out the hard way...
i flat-shifted (power-shifted) 3-->4 in a freeway race and found out what the 4.6 thinks of the stock rev-limiter under full boost!
:eek:

it has been a costly lesson in self control!

I'm in california, so the only contact i have had with sean has been on the phone. i'll be having it tuned by keith @ force fed performance http://www.forcefedperformance.com after i get the motor nicely broken in.

i still don't have it back...
first the knock sensors are not the right size, then they ordered some and they, too didn't fit...they ended up tapping the block for the stock ones from my old motor. last night they still had the seat out from the msd install, so that means it was running already (i doubt they'd work on the ignition until it was running properly in the first place, right?).

so, it sounded like all they had to do was button everything up and make sure it drives ok.

half a day, maybe?
i'm sure itching to get back into the driver's seat.
conservative estimate, huh?
:D

I have the 42 lb injectors on the way already...
clutch is next!

thanks for the replies!
rob

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
What kind of MAF are you switching to? When you swap to those injectors you'll have to get a MAF that is calibrated for that size injector. Unless your going with a stand alone engine management system. If so you've got more ponies hiding there. ;-)

Snakeman

Established Member
it has a pro-m mass air...

the shop can fit it with a different sample tube and program a chip so i can ditch the fmu, or that's what he says, anyway...

no stand-alone computer yet.
maybe i'll win the lottery?
who knows!

no car until Monday, either.
there goes the weekend!
:(

at least i can be pretty sure that when i get it back it will be right, not half-assedly slapped together...

Snakeman

Established Member
it's in the fenderwell, not sure what brand, just parroting what my mechanic said. the vortech was already installed when i bought the car, so i don't know some of the specific parts.

i was reading in 5.0 how they use a 19lb/hr sample tube, and use a chip to tune the a/f ratio.
sound about right?

hey!
i figure anyone working on Ralph's car has got to be one helluva mechanic, 'cuz Ralph in pretty anal about stuff like that!

here's some of the cars they've worked on...
http://www.forcefedperformance.com/vehprof1.html

Last edited:

Wildpony

Established Member
You should make around mid 400 if you are still at 6-8psi. You didn't say you had the ported intake and I think head porting w/cams may give you 30-40hp extra. You were prob. right at 400 before the build up. I would get a chip to change the rev to 7,500 and at the same time do the 12lb pulley/42lb. injectors,recal. the FMU & M/Air. I have all that and also run the K.Bell boost a pump set at MAX. IF you do the boost upgrade you should be around 525 imo. Good Luck

Snakeman

Established Member
nope, no ported intake or imrc delete
yet.

i figured that i can do that myself at home, so I didn't want to pay someone hourly to grind stuff.
i figure the boost will drop slightly with the less restrictive parts I'm adding.

I don't want to make it so fast that i can't go to the track anymore without a cage...
yet...

Users who are viewing this thread