what kind of puppy food? (Boxer breed) other breed owners welcome

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I pick up my puppy in on the 25th of this month and was wondering what brand of food to get him. I'm going to ask breeder what they feed the parents and what they've been feeding him, but also checking to see what you guys recommend. Did a search on here and saw an old thread for dog food recommendations and started doing some research on those brands mentioned. Lots of different brands out there, some better than others, but still unsure what to buy. I'm leaning towards Blue Buffalo, but still lots of choices within that brand. Any other recommendations? Also, heard to stay away from dog food with lots of grains it, may cause an allergy reaction.

Thanks. :beer:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild. Fairly expensive and hard to find sometimes. But being that boxers are deep chested dogs you don't want to feed them a food that causes an unessecary amount of gas. Research bloat if you havent yet.

Edit: personally i don't believe in foods that have "stages of life" formulas. The basic needs of the dog are contained in the food and should be given the proper amount for their age/weight. The dog in my avatar has been given Taste of the Wild since we got her and she is doing good.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I also feed our pups taste of the wild. Specifically we started with the high prairie puppy formula and most recently transferred them to the high prairie adult formula.

We've had pretty good luck with this food for our problem child who has a sensitive stomach. At $45.00 for a 30 lb bag, it's not the most expensive food out there, but it's also not cheap.

sd03

Car Enthusiast
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a lab/pit mix and a mastiff/pit mix and I feed them Natural Balance; our veterinarian recommended it. It's $54 for a 28lb bag of the large breed blend and it's been great for them. No stomach problems at all. The best thing is that it's formulated so they can have it from a puppy to adult.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
another for taste of the wild....great stuff. our french bulldog already has bad gas but its not as bag since we put him on it. nice shiny coat, better gas, beefier dog lol. little more expensive but worth it. you can tell on our chihuahuas coat too.

IcE

Established Member
I buy Orijen Adult for my Rottweiler. It is a bit expensive at 79 dollars for a 28lb bag but the ingredient list is top notch. I believe the first 10 to 12 ingredients are all from quality meat sources. She loves the food and her coat is definilty very nice and shiny.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I give this to both of my pups (1 year old German Shepard/Lab mix and 8 month old boxer/German Shepard) and they eat it like they're starved all day.

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/dry-foo...eed-puppy-food-zid36-3508/cat-36-catid-100032

Too much corn, corn meal, soy bean and chicken by products. When you see all that corn and soy that is fillers. Think about when you eat corn.

Compare to this,
http://www.petsmart.com/dog/food/bl...zid36-3290/cat-36-catid-100004?var_id=36-3290

I feed mine Blue Buffalo or if they are out for some reason I go with Nutro.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Taste of the Wild here also, Pacific Stream flavor. No issues getting it on Amazon for a descent price.

colin450

Established Member
I fed my first Doberman Orijen.

My current Dobe I feed Fromm Adult Gold which was recommended by his breeder. She said most puppy food can have high protein levels and can cause a dog to grow too fast. Didn't really look into how true that is but I took her word for it. I will probably switch to Orijen once he's full-grown because I know it's one of the best out there.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Nutro is what my breeder recommends, they were one of the first importers of the Chinese Shar Pei.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I remember when my boxer was a puppy and it took a while to find the right kind of food that stopped her from farting all the time. And by gosh when she did, she could clear a room! Now we give her Purina Smartblend and it's treated her well. Congrats on your Boxer and you're going to have a great time with their funky personalities. Mine is about 11 years old and thinks she's still 1 years old!

Edit: Where are the pics of said puppy?

CLN 6R

Established Member
Purina Pro plan for both my pups.

I've been doing research on other stuff, might switch to something else at some point.

1cln50

Established Member
any grain free food is the way to go. best diet is a purely raw diet, but that's tricky to get the hang of. I've got a friend who shows and breeds and she does a raw diet and her dogs look amazing

Users who are viewing this thread