What kind of salary to expect for an entry level position?

03vert70charger

Established Member
I have been searching for jobs recently. I graduated in may with a BS in chemistry. What kind of starting salary should I expect. It will most likely be a quality control, lab job, sales support, or a similar position. This will also be in the Chicagoland area. It will most likely be less than I expect\want, but right now a job is a job.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
salaries are all over the place, saw an add for an entry level position at a law firm starting at 35k, (person does not have to be barred yet only a law graduate) and I am close to D.C., the market is taking advantage of the amount of people out of work.

At 35k I might as well keep my job doing construction where at least I do not have the stress and make more.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have a friend who has a BS in Biology and Organic chemistry. It took him awhile but he finally landed a job working for an enviromental testing company. He spent the first 2 years traveling around the nation testing smoke stacks on powerplants, factories, and incinerators. He is now a boss at the same company he started at 25k a year and now i think he is up to around 40k

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
wow my fiance is going to graduate with her degree in biology and minors in chem, phys, eng, and education and be a teacher making close to 50k starting out here in DFW didnt realize pay was so low for bio jobs

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
If chicago is anything like the DC metro area, if you can't get something starting at 50k minimum you may be doing something wrong.

Science degrees usually can prevail even amongst this economy.

RussZTT

Established Member
You really can't base your salary needs on peoples opinion just because of location. Someone here in Florida can start out at 40K yr but the same exact job in NY starts out at 70K. You really have to base your needs on the link I provided you. :beer:

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Just curious, why not go PharmD?

+1

Im not sure if it is too late to register for the October PCAT or not, but there is still time for you to start your application for this cycle. If this is something you might be interested in go to the pharmcas website and it will have more information. I'm waiting on my PCAT scores to decide if I will apply this cycle or not.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
dunno about sciences/pharmaceuticals but building industry, entry level salaried position with no background or prior education here is like $30-35k.

Users who are viewing this thread