What MAF to go with

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Right now I'm running a 2400 MAF from SCT. That worked fine for my blower set-up but I've seen most people are going with the 2800. I'm not looking to run around with 800rwhp (I want around 650-700 for the street). Do you think I'm pegging the 2400 on the top end and that's why my hp flatlines after 5300rpm?

GodStang

Established Member
YA you may be pegging it. Have you looked into any of the 110mm-130mm MAF? The have a wider range and allow for more air flow.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
YA you may be pegging it. Have you looked into any of the 110mm-130mm MAF? The have a wider range and allow for more air flow.

I haven't really looked into too many yet, I'm just trying to work out why my hp isn't where it should be. Wouldn't too big a MAF be a bad thing?

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
I haven't really looked into too many yet, I'm just trying to work out why my hp isn't where it should be. Wouldn't too big a MAF be a bad thing?

My MAF tubing is about 120mm I think (it's over 100 I know for sure) and I am running stock electronics with a Mafia and it doesn't peg the meter. That was good to the 805 it made.

J

Janstang

Datalog your MAF voltage and it will tell you if you need a bigger meter or a Mafia..

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Your horsepower flat lines because the cams in your car are designed to promote low rpm torque and sacrifice high rpm power. Your intake has long runners designed to promote low rpm torque and sacrifice high rpm power...... That's why you probably see peak HP around 5000rpms and it flatlines until it finally drops off.... Then you compare your graph to the THP cars or HPP cars with sullivan intakes on them (short runners) and your see peak HP at redline instead of 5000rpms. It's the nature of the beast, not maf related. You can play with the torque curve in the tune some by messing with the timing, but your set-up isn't designed to build hp all the way to 7000rpms.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Your horsepower flat lines because the cams in your car are designed to promote low rpm torque and sacrifice high rpm power. Your intake has long runners designed to promote low rpm torque and sacrifice high rpm power...... That's why you probably see peak HP around 5000rpms and it flatlines until it finally drops off.... Then you compare your graph to the THP cars or HPP cars with sullivan intakes on them (short runners) and your see peak HP at redline instead of 5000rpms. It's the nature of the beast, not maf related. You can play with the torque curve in the tune some by messing with the timing, but your set-up isn't designed to build hp all the way to 7000rpms.

Thanks for the info. However, I am still way down on power. I'm only putting down 536rwhp at 16psi and 16 degrees of timing AF at 11.5, which is about 100rwhp less than everyone else seems to be putting down. Heck, I was making more at the same hp with my whipple (550rwhp @ 15psi and 22 degrees of timing)

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Wait a minute..... I think I got ya figured out. You said you're seeing 16psi (measuring from the turbo) but only 12psi at the manifold in another thread. If that is the case, there is nothing wrong and your numbers are not low. If the manifold sees 12psi, then that's the boost you're running. And your numbers (for 12psi) are spot on. If you run the boost signal from your manifold to your boost controller then your controller will never see the 16psi, it will see 12psi. What you're showing us is that you either have a boost leak (doesn't sound like it), or the small intake/intercooler piping is a restriction (has been brought up before) to the tune of a 4psi pressure drop (which will get worse at higher boost). I think everything is fine with your setup, you're just measuring boost pre-intercooler instead of manifold pressure.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Wait a minute..... I think I got ya figured out. You said you're seeing 16psi (measuring from the turbo) but only 12psi at the manifold in another thread. If that is the case, there is nothing wrong and your numbers are not low. If the manifold sees 12psi, then that's the boost you're running. And your numbers (for 12psi) are spot on. If you run the boost signal from your manifold to your boost controller then your controller will never see the 16psi, it will see 12psi. What you're showing us is that you either have a boost leak (doesn't sound like it), or the small intake/intercooler piping is a restriction (has been brought up before) to the tune of a 4psi pressure drop (which will get worse at higher boost). I think everything is fine with your setup, you're just measuring boost pre-intercooler instead of manifold pressure.

plus the controller isn't really installed "correctly". you can read boost and vac with that controller. he needs to redo the lines and connection points.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member

When I had the car tuned I did not have the EBC. I had it tuned with a 9lb and 7lb spring in the wastegate. My pillar mounted gauge showed 16psi (at the intake) and my car only put down 532rwhp. So, at 16psi I was over 100rwhp short. After the tune I installed the EBC and programmed the boost for 16psi. Now I am seeing 16psi at the EBC but my pillar gauge is only showing 12psi at the intake. I have not had the car tuned since the install of the EBC.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
plus the controller isn't really installed "correctly". you can read boost and vac with that controller. he needs to redo the lines and connection points.

Yea, I need to check again. Are you running your EBC in auto or manual mode? Also, what is your gain setting? I might get away from the auto mode and switch it to manual mode and see what happens.

SVTboy

Established Member
Hey, did you ever get a chance to check the size of the turbo, I really think you should at least take the inlet pipe on the turbo off and take a picture of the impeller and post it, I would really like to see....

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Hey, did you ever get a chance to check the size of the turbo, I really think you should at least take the inlet pipe on the turbo off and take a picture of the impeller and post it, I would really like to see....

Not yet, but I have to do it next. It just seems like a total PITA because I have to drain the radiator to remove the turbo (unless there is another way)

I'll take a pic of the turbo with the inlet pipe off and post it.

Okay, here is a pic of the turbo:

turboturbine.jpg

Also, I noticed a lot of oil in the pipe that my MAF is connected to. I guess I need a catch can pretty badly.

Last edited:

SVTboy

Established Member
Thats a good pic, I'll put up a pick later of the 66 that came off my car for comparison.

You dont have to drain anything to get the trubo off, Im on my third trubo now and never drained any coolant.... Just move the overflow tank off to the side and take the fan out, with those two things outa the way there shouldnt be a problem to get to the turbo off,

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Thats a good pic, I'll put up a pick later of the 66 that came off my car for comparison.

You dont have to drain anything to get the trubo off, Im on my third trubo now and never drained any coolant.... Just move the overflow tank off to the side and take the fan out, with those two things outa the way there shouldnt be a problem to get to the turbo off,

Why have you gone through so many turbos? Would I be able to measure the wheel in the pick to see if it is the right size or does the whole compressor housing need to come off? I had planned on removing the turbo so I could look on the exhaust housing to see what number was stamped on it like you showed my before.

SVTboy

Established Member
Why have you gone through so many turbos? Would I be able to measure the wheel in the pick to see if it is the right size or does the whole compressor housing need to come off? I had planned on removing the turbo so I could look on the exhaust housing to see what number was stamped on it like you showed my before.

Well, after the 66 was discovered I borrowed a MP70 from a friend while I was waiting for the Precision to come in....

Your best bet is to look for that cast number on the edge of the housing like I showed you, that will for sure give you the answer. To measure the wheel you would have to take the compressor housing off, but if you go as far as taking the turbo off just look for that number, its probably under one of the clamping tabs on the housing...

TRBO VNM

I think it's manual mode. I don't dial in what boost I want. I do it by percentage. the gain is just used for spool up, not how much boost and I change that depending on the amount of boost I run.

Users who are viewing this thread