What makes a man?

Branhammer

Established Member
Is it the woman in his arms?! Just cause she has big titties???!
Or is it the way...HE FIGHTS EVERY DAYUUUHH......No it's probably the titties!

But seriously, what do you guys think defines being a man? I've been extra annoyed lately by all these lumberjack wannabes who try to tell me they are more manly simply because they have a beard. And women seem to love that stupid shit...even if the ****** can't even do his own laundry. There are A LOT of hipsters in Salt Lake City. Most of them still live with their parents. But somehow, the beard makes them men. LMAO.

On the opposite side of the spectrum I've also met fellow military guys who say things like "I became a man the day I went to war." No. Wrong. While I respect the shit out of combat forces, I don't care if you can single-handedly kill 100 Taliban by yourself. That skill is nullified if you can't cook your own dinner or change a tire.

I can't grow a beard because my occupation doesn't allow it. Even if I could, I prefer a nice 3-4 day scruff over a full beard, and so does my wife. Beards aside, I think that your ability to handle yourself and take care of yourself is what defines being a man. My first roommate back at Moody AFB had been on a deployment to Afghanistan, working high-stress, high tempo, 7-day work-weeks, repairing HH-60G Pavehawks that were literally saving lives all day long, and when he got back from that deployment, moved in with me and had to have me teach him to work a dish washer and cook Spaghetti-Os on the stove. I shit you not. He couldn't heat Spaghetti-Os. He can troubleshoot and repair archaic analog guidance systems on an HH-60 but can't figure out basic kitchen appliances. A real man is not one dimensional. I can fix a Helicopter, fixed-wing, car, and both use and repair household appliances. I can cook my own meals, do my own laundry, take care of my own health, etc.

Basically, my opinion is this:

If all your friends/family died and you had to completely take care of yourself with no help, could you? If your answer is yes, you're a man. Notice there is nothing about ****ing beards in there.

This is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. It's about the previously mentioned "lumberjack" trend:

http://www.romancegoals.com/6-reasons-why-women-love-the-lumberjack-look-duh-on-4/2/

Read the comments by Ronald S Porter at the bottom. I couldn't have shredded this article better myself.

For the record, I'm not bashing beards, trends, or anything else. I'm bashing the perception that these things alone make one an adult male.

What do you guys think? Any "lumberjacks" on SVTP?

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The hipsters with beards trend is funny. Like, these queermos can't even change a tire and they try to act manly and drink whiskey at overpriced bars. Lol @ that.

A man is a man when he proves he can handle his own shit, his life, and everything that's thrown at him.

Branhammer

Established Member
The hipsters with beards trend is funny. Like, these queermos can't even change a tire and they try to act manly and drink whiskey at overpriced bars. Lol @ that.

A man is a man when he proves he can handle his own shit, his life, and everything that's thrown at him.

This. I love seeing these hipsters that say "I only drink Guiness," yet if you watch them, they make the "bitter beer face" every time they take a drink. They clearly don't really like it, they just want to look cool. If you were really "hip," you wouldn't be drinking a mainstream beer anyway. You'd be drinking a stout from one of Utah's 12+ craft breweries. These are the same people who study abroad in Ireland for college for three months and come back with an Irish accent. HA!

03Steve

Established Member
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RzCnrpfUaAk[/video]

I don't know how much more manlier you can be than to take two kicks to the jimmy and shake it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Umm what does cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry have to do with being a man? That's a woman's job buddy.

sniper85

Established Member
I agree. I spent time on a LRS or LRPS(for you older gents.) And when I got out I was still kind of lost. I was in the Infantry and I never play that military card on anything. I hold that stuff very close to my heart. A few yrs past and my wife and I had our son. On 12/24/12 I was arrested and they wanted to give me 22yrs in prison. I was somehow released on ROR....? And I spent the next 3 yrs going through Hell. We lived in a run down trailer with a bees nest underneath it and the place was filled with roaches. It was dirty, it was ungodly and it just plain sucked. I never lost a job in the 3 yrs. I was making $11. hr paying bills and trying to put food in our mouths, clothes and be a father and a husband. Working 16 hr days ..etc... But I was persistent and never gave up, I looked at my life one day and said, "Chad, it's time to man the **** up!" So, I found a machine shop and bugged them for months and finally got a job at a pay cut to $10 hrly but if I learned the job I would get a raise to $16. hrly. So, I took it learned the job and started programing. I paid $1400. out of my own pocket to a week course at MLC-CAD in Austin, Texas. After the course was down my instructor offered me a job at his personal shop making over $20. hrly. I took it but I had to drive 78 miles one way.(San Marcos to Williamson Co.) Waking up at 3 every morning and not getting home till almost 8 on some nights. I found out we were having our daughter and I wanted to be close to home. So, I found a Global machine shop by my house and applied, I nail the interview and was hired in a few weeks. Now, I make over 100k a yr with no degree(although, I am on my last semester to finish my bachelors).
I paid off the mortgage on our new house and bought me some badass toys to reward my self(not that I need a reward for being a man). I did all this while going to court and I paid $10,000. for a lawyer. (I received 1yrs probation on deferred adjudication, George Taylor out of San Antonio was my lawyer if anyone needs on)

I know....I went on a war path.....but, I say this cause I Have some neighbors that always play the military card and didn't do half the shit I did. And also tell me how they can never get up like I do for work and daddy paid for their house. And I'm entitled to this and that cause of my service. And they want to have kids now but can't cause they need a relaxing job and more money first....

NO!!! **** that and **** you! Get up, Shave your damn face, put on your pants and work for something!!!

I've worked very hard to get where I am with my family and all I had was my wife to set me straight when I started to feel down. I see all these hipsters and I have older family members the same way that our going through this entitlement issue.

What makes a man? Taking care of your priorities, being a father all the time and when the wif is moody I just grab that booty!!! Doing what you have to do not because you want to but because you need to. Sorry for the rant guys........

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
The Big Lebowski: Is it being prepared to do the right thing? Whatever the cost? Isn’t that that makes a man?
Dude: Ummm..sure. That and a pair of testicles.
The Big Lebowski: You’re joking. But perhaps you’re right.

lebowski1391.jpg

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, is the dude that takes care of shit. Problem solves and finds a way. Facial hair or no facial hair.

I also see the irony in guys out there with beards that cant change their own oil or know how to drive a stick...

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
You aren't a man unless you can do hookers and blow all night, then get up for work.

But the requirements are pretty simple. Be able to take care of yourself, family (if applicable), if you don't know how to do something, you learn enough to ensure you don't get taken advantage of by those who do. The most important is handling any issues without crying and whining about things not being fair. No shortage of those type (including here) who feel entitled to things they are too lazy to provide for themselves.

Branhammer

Established Member
I agree. I spent time on a LRS or LRPS(for you older gents.) And when I got out I was still kind of lost. I was in the Infantry and I never play that military card on anything. I hold that stuff very close to my heart. A few yrs past and my wife and I had our son. On 12/24/12 I was arrested and they wanted to give me 22yrs in prison. I was somehow released on ROR....? And I spent the next 3 yrs going through Hell. We lived in a run down trailer with a bees nest underneath it and the place was filled with roaches. It was dirty, it was ungodly and it just plain sucked. I never lost a job in the 3 yrs. I was making $11. hr paying bills and trying to put food in our mouths, clothes and be a father and a husband. Working 16 hr days ..etc... But I was persistent and never gave up, I looked at my life one day and said, "Chad, it's time to man the **** up!" So, I found a machine shop and bugged them for months and finally got a job at a pay cut to $10 hrly but if I learned the job I would get a raise to $16. hrly. So, I took it learned the job and started programing. I paid $1400. out of my own pocket to a week course at MLC-CAD in Austin, Texas. After the course was down my instructor offered me a job at his personal shop making over $20. hrly. I took it but I had to drive 78 miles one way.(San Marcos to Williamson Co.) Waking up at 3 every morning and not getting home till almost 8 on some nights. I found out we were having our daughter and I wanted to be close to home. So, I found a Global machine shop by my house and applied, I nail the interview and was hired in a few weeks. Now, I make over 100k a yr with no degree(although, I am on my last semester to finish my bachelors).
I paid off the mortgage on our new house and bought me some badass toys to reward my self(not that I need a reward for being a man). I did all this while going to court and I paid $10,000. for a lawyer. (I received 1yrs probation on deferred adjudication, George Taylor out of San Antonio was my lawyer if anyone needs on)

I know....I went on a war path.....but, I say this cause I Have some neighbors that always play the military card and didn't do half the shit I did. And also tell me how they can never get up like I do for work and daddy paid for their house. And I'm entitled to this and that cause of my service. And they want to have kids now but can't cause they need a relaxing job and more money first....

NO!!! **** that and **** you! Get up, Shave your damn face, put on your pants and work for something!!!

I've worked very hard to get where I am with my family and all I had was my wife to set me straight when I started to feel down. I see all these hipsters and I have older family members the same way that our going through this entitlement issue.

What makes a man? Taking care of your priorities, being a father all the time and when the wif is moody I just grab that booty!!! Doing what you have to do not because you want to but because you need to. Sorry for the rant guys........

Damn that's a hell of a success story. Props to you for sticking it out and never giving up.

Sirraf

Established Member
On the opposite side of the spectrum I've also met fellow military guys who say things like "I became a man the day I went to war." No. Wrong. While I respect the shit out of combat forces, I don't care if you can single-handedly kill 100 Taliban by yourself. That skill is nullified if you can't cook your own dinner or change a tire.

Please just read that again and let it soak in for a moment.

Branhammer

Established Member
You're also not a man if you don't know what I was referencing in the first two lines of the OP.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Man, is the dude that takes care of shit. Problem solves and finds a way. Facial hair or no facial hair.

I also see the irony in guys out there with beards that cant change their own oil or know how to drive a stick...

I can change my oil and can drive a stick...

But wtf does a beard have to do with if?

I don't change my own now.. And I drive an auto... And have a beard.

Branhammer

Established Member
I cook 90% of the meals in my house and vacuum twice a week. So what?

Same here. I actually like to cook, although most of my cooking is done on the grill. I used to always say "if you can't grill it, it's gay." But then I discovered wok cooking.

I also vacuum twice a week. The trade-off is my wife mops (all hardwood floors/tile), which I hate doing. She cleans the kitchen. I empty the dishwasher. She does laundry. I put it away. Etc., etc., etc. Then again I don't have a stay-at-home wife. She makes more than I do :uh oh:

Users who are viewing this thread