What mileage did you get out of your '07-09 GT500 OEM clutch?

TigerGT500

Established Member
Lol... I bought my 2011 used in June '17. 7,400 miles and the clutch "blew up" at 7,600. I knew it was slipping and would need to be replaced but I didn't expect it to just die like that. Replaced it with a Spec SS and it's rock solid again. Nearing 10,000 miles now so nearly 2,500 on the Spec.

spectreman

Established Member
45K? You must've treated yours even more gingerly than I've treated mine. I'm past 31k now and being more gentle w/it than I would be w/a newborn babe. Hope to get it swapped out next week.
Lee

spectreman

Established Member
Well, I'm set for next Tuesday. Dropping the car off first thing in the AM. Hope to be done by early afternoon. Can't happen too soon. It's slipping pretty good now; been going real easy on it but w/clutches, you just never know. I'll be happy when the new package is installed. No more chatter, no more slipping & finally smooth clutch action.

spectreman

Established Member
In case I forgot to mention, I ended up going w/this kit from LMR:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7546GT500-K/GT500-Clutch-Kit-07-09-Mustang

Drove her home about 10 miles & here's the intial impressions.

It is night and day over the OEM '07-09 clutch. The OEM clutch was a rock crusher that could wear out your l. leg in stop & go traffic. And let's not forget the chatter issue and abrupt engagement.

The LMR/Ford replacement package is complete, and operates in a buttery soft and smooth fashion. Reminds me very much of my clutch from the '14 GT track pack car. There is ZERO chatter.

I have 2 concerns though:
1) The pedal is supremely soft, offering very little resistance and
2) the engagement of the clutch feels fairly narrow.

Both of these matters could simply be tied in w/acclimation to the new clutch, particularly after having dealt w/the issues of the OEM clutch for nearly 30k miles.

And I've noted that some folks have made similar complaints about light weight of the '18 clutch set up so Steeda has released a new clutch pedal spring that increases resistance; that item may be taken under consideration.

Overall, I think the package was a good deal economically from LMR and I'm glad I went Ford OEM replacement parts over the aftermarket. I know some of you guys like the other stuff but I'd read too many issues w/them and since my car is a daily driver, not a garage queen or track machine, I need this to be suitable for commuting. This clutch set up will do that.

If you decide on this LMR package, you'll need to make sure the shop you choose has access to the proper tools for aligning the dual clutch & a proper device to reflash the computer.

Vote: winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Lee

moncho

Established Member
Congrats! It was a real pleasure having this '10 clutch assembly put in my '07. Pretty much same thoughts as you. This flip the bill for my application and should withstand some additional power. Huge joy in driving the beast & is great for my knee. The link you provided states it'll handle 900 lb. pounds of torque, which for most that should be sufficient.

Cheers,
Ray

spectreman

Established Member
Got a couple hundred miles on the sucker at this point and here's something I hadn't noticed before.

W/this clutch set up, the car is much quieter than before. The original clutch made a lot of background noise, rattling and low moans, but this one is dead quiet. That is a huge benefit and makes the interior so much more peaceful.

I've also acclimated to the clutch so that sensation of abruptness is now gone. It's still a very soft pedal tho; I wish it required a touch more pressure for better feel.

Still, very happy w/this set-up!
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread