What motor oil you guys run?

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
This mainly pertains to the PSD guys, 7.3 or 6.0s. A little lengthy...

What motor oil do you guys run and why?

I'm running Amsoil 5W-40 in my 7.3 currently, first two oil changes I ran regular old 15W-40 Rotella, and after getting a Rotella sample before Amsoil went in, my Blackstone report was actually very good at only 63,xxx miles. I haven't owned the PSD for a year yet either. I'm also using Amsoils filter.

I didn't drain my HPOP. Wasn't worth the effort as it's just a small amount, whatever is in there will get diluted, and most lilkely all the Rotella Dino oil I had in there will be gone by the next change.

I ran two motor oil changes quickly through the PSD when I got it just to maybe clean things out and see if there's any possible probs that I can visually notice, I didn't run each initial new changes over 3,000 miles. I plan to go about 4,000ish and send another sample to Blackstone for wear results and see how much longer the oil is good for.

Truck spins over and fires a lot better running 5W IMHO versus the 15W, especially in winter - didn't have "the romps" on startup as with 15W in real cold weather without plugging in.

boostedbusa02

Established Member
always have and always will run rotella 15w40 and the motorcraft FL1995 filter... i change mine btw 3k-4k miles some go 5k-7k miles

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
I was running 5w40 amsoil but switched back to 15w40 amsoil. I run a bypass filter system and run 7.5k-10k depeding on the reports. The price difference between the 5w and 15w is why i went back to the 15 and at the speed i put the miles on i have to change it every 3 months or so and its on a 01 7.3.:beer:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
3 months at 7,500-10,000 miles? Sounds like you're on the road a lot.

I hope my Amsoil report comes back even better than the Rotella.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, whichever strikes my fancy when it comes time to change the oil works for me.

Stewart

PSD

Established Member
I run amsoil in all 3 of my 7.3 powerstrokes (3k miles in race engine/ 5k in tow trucks), but i break the engine in with rotella for the first 5 oil changes (2000 miles)

Last edited:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
PSD, read the info on the other thread about your PSDs. 12 second OBS? Post them pics up in the other thread!

Not too many 7.3s are in the 12 second ET category, and I don't think any are in the 11s if I'm not mistaken. I know of one guy local that has a high 12 01 (I believe) 4x4 Supercab shortbed. It's built pretty good, the truck is a beast for a 7.3 IMO.

Back on topic... anyone ever use Mobil Delvac? Seen it at Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. etc. I was going to try it a few months ago but there wasn't enough on the shelf.

PSD

Established Member
Judging by your location, that supercab shortbed is "dockboy", he runs high 11's at 7600 lbs.

Ive heard the delvac is good oil too, i just dont run it bc its easy for me to get rotella or amsoil.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I've only ever used Rotella 15W-40 in every diesel truck I've owned, same with my brother and my dad, no problems over several hundred thousand miles....

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
John Deere, We run rotella in our cats (Not my preference, ever looked in the bottom of an empty jug??) Mobile delvac is a good oil. Run it in our detroits with several million mile motors. I ran rotella one change because I was out of bulk deere oil (its stupid costly in jugs) and I used about a half gallon between the change, where my deere oil uses none. I believe universal oils mfg's JD, but its been so long since I've talked about earl' I've forgot alot of things.

04HarleyF250

Fun in the Sun
Established Member
amsoil 15W. I used to get it tested between each change, but lately i just run about 5K and change it out. I have had really good experience with amsoil in other vehicles, and the price is right by the case.

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
I always use Rotella 15-40 with Motorcraft filter. Change around 3500-4000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread