What naturally aspired mods would you suggest for a 01?

FlyinBryan

Established Member
If things work out, I'm a new 2001 Cobra owner. I had one new, but had to sell it rather quickly :shrug: . I prefer naturally aspired hp and understand that turbo's and superchargers are potentially fatal to the aluminum blocks. I need hp that's engine friendly, gas friendly, and will allow me to drive my Cobra normally. I'd LOVE to obtain 400hp(or as close as possible) if at all possible while keeping engine longevity, fuel mileage, and normal driving in mind. Is this possible with 01 Cobra's? If so how, what brands are best, and how much should I expect to spend? :pop:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
The aluminum block can handle gobs of horsepower. It's the rods/pistons that give way. You won't touch 400rwhp N/A without head/cam work. I'm sure the N/A guys will chime in before long.

FlyinBryan

Established Member
The aluminum block can handle gobs of horsepower. It's the rods/pistons that give way. You won't touch 400rwhp N/A without head/cam work. I'm sure the N/A guys will chime in before long.

I'm after a 400hp motor. It doesn't have to be 400hp, but I'd like to get there.

I imagine a k&n filter, new exhaust, an intake, and a tune could get me close?

FR500 heads and cams, ported lower intake along with exhaust mods will get you close to 400rwhp, buts its going to be expensive.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Those mods will get you towards the lower 300s to the wheel. You should consider a stroker kit/ with head,cam work or maybe a bottle.

Last edited:

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
4.10s are 100% worth it. I love mine. Some guys will say go 4.30's.

You will not get serious HP NA from bolt ons. When my car was dynoed it had a canned tune, K&N filter, and catback. The power numbers are in my sig. These cars only come stock with 320hp and 317tq to the flywheel.

You can easily get 400RWHP from these engine with a supercharger. They will hadnle it and driveability will be fine. These blocks and cranks are very stout. Your pistons and rods on the other hand are the weak link.

cobraracer46

Banned
If things work out, I'm a new 2001 Cobra owner. I had one new, but had to sell it rather quickly :shrug: . I prefer naturally aspired hp and understand that turbo's and superchargers are potentially fatal to the aluminum blocks. I need hp that's engine friendly, gas friendly, and will allow me to drive my Cobra normally. I'd LOVE to obtain 400hp(or as close as possible) if at all possible while keeping engine longevity, fuel mileage, and normal driving in mind. Is this possible with 01 Cobra's? If so how, what brands are best, and how much should I expect to spend? :pop:

If you want your Cobra engine to make big N/A HP numbers then I would call up CP pistons for some 11:1 pistons and Manley for a set steel connecting rods. Combine those two modifications with the heads you pull off your motor to send to the head porter for some CNC porting, some mild camshafts, a ported stock intake and your Cobra engine will easily make a lot of power.

The Modular ford engines need compression in order to really perform and 9:5 compression along with every bolt on under sun just ain't going to cut it.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
400 hp at the flywheel or at the rear wheels? There is a big difference. You can get to close 400 at the flywheel with all the bolt ons(full exhaust, CAI, ported intake, good tune, al flywheel). 400 at the wheels will require some head work, at least some 96-98 cams, and possibly flat tops. A 350 rwhp car may not sound like alot because a few board members are making 600+ with blowers, but it is a hell of a street car and can run high 11's with the right driver. As far as cost, it's really not that much different to hit the goal you have. You could piece together a used blower for less, but comparing new parts, the cost difference isn't as dramatic as some would have you believe. Plus, a similarly powered NA car is generally faster than a blown car.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Assuming a 15% hp loss from crank to rear wheels, I'm around 375 hp at the crank on my NA '01 Cobra Mod Motor. See the Dyno and my Mods in following links.

I have shorty headers, working cats, a mild tune and a non-ported intake. 400 hp may be in reach by improving these things.

Dyno

Mods

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I had an 01 vert. With a true CAI,headers,X pipe,CB,UDP,and a tune you can get close to 400 hp at the CRANK. That alone is expensive the most being the headers with the labor. Any thing more and it will be big bucks or a power adder IMO.
I like the 3.73 gears for daily driving.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Nobody figures Crank HP power numbers are based on RW!! Yeah 375 Crank is obtainable with bolt ons!

Wheel dynos are relatively new. It is very possible he meant crank hp.

I had an 01 vert. With a true CAI,headers,X pipe,CB,UDP,and a tune you can get close to 400 hp at the CRANK. That alone is expensive the most being the headers with the labor. Any thing more and it will be big bucks or a power adder IMO.
I like the 3.73 gears for daily driving.

IMO, all those are required mods anyway. I would think an na car with those mods would be faster than a car that is all stock except a 8 psi blower.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread