What Of Torque Rating for Impact Wrench?

uofipilot

Established Member
I'm thinking about picking up an impact. I'm sick of 2 hour jobs turning into 2 day jobs fighting with 12 years of rusty bolts.

As a do-it-your-selfer in the garage, what torque rating should the wrench have? I don't need one that can take the world apart, but I do need one that will get the job done quickly and efficiently with no problems.

Also, what kind of PSI do you need to run what you suggest? We have a compressor that holds about 110 psi. I figure that should be enough. If I have to let it re-compress between bolts, thats ok. I just want it to work.

Thanks in advance.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'm thinking about picking up an impact. I'm sick of 2 hour jobs turning into 2 day jobs fighting with 12 years of rusty bolts.

I'm sure you know but if you're fighting with rusty nuts, an impact will often make them rusty broken bolts. Wd40 on those turds then the ratchet/wrench.

Dusten

Established Member
the psi rating is fine, but how big the compressor as far as gallons of air? a small tank will always be running, and you wont have the full power of the gun. plus you will put extra strain on the motor and build heat in the compressor.

uofipilot

Established Member
I'm sure you know but if you're fighting with rusty nuts, an impact will often make them rusty broken bolts. Wd40 on those turds then the ratchet/wrench.

Oh trust me...I've gone through a bit of PB blaster recently. It's just the ease factor I'm looking for. I recently did my h-pipe, and I had to take it to a local exhaust shop to have them break lose the passengers side header bolts. I sprayed the shit out em for two days and still couldnt get them. The guy there had em off in 5 minutes. Its just such a waste of time to not have the correct tools for the job. I'll be careful though.

the psi rating is fine, but how big the compressor as far as gallons of air? a small tank will always be running, and you wont have the full power of the gun. plus you will put extra strain on the motor and build heat in the compressor.

I'm not sure the exact size, but its probably about a 12-15 gallon tank. I think that should be big enough for what I'm gonna be doing.

Thanks for those tips, but what kind of wrench do I need to be looking at?

Last edited:

uofipilot

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. The HD was the one I was looking at at the store earlier today.

And edit on the size. It doesn't say the size of CFM ratings or anything on it, but the tank is about 14 inches in diameter and about 2.5 feet long. It's not the end all be all of compressors, but I think it will do the job.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I think you have an average size compressor just guessing. I think mine is a 30 gal, 150 psi. All I can say is get the biggest/heaviest one made you can afford. I got one that come with the compressor from Sears and it doesn't do enough for me. If and when I buy one, I intend to get a monster.

Users who are viewing this thread