What Oil do you use in your supercharger

frankin

Established Member
I'm sure this has been beat to death, but I am a bit confused as to what oil to use in the blower. I am way overdue for an oil change, and I was wondering if I have to buy the supercharger oil from Ford or GM.
I read that you can use Mobile 1 10w30. It would much easier to just go buy a quart of this then to have to go to the dealership and have them order a special oil.

Iron Fist

Established Member
The supercharger fluid is a synthetic gear oil, comes in 4oz bottles you will need 2. I wouldn't trust anything else.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Mobil 1 10W30 full syn. Same stuff Steggy recommends. I've been using it for 20-30,000 miles. Dont waste your money on the blower oil from GM etc. Buy 1 qt of the Mobil 1 and it will last you several oil changes.

frankin

Established Member
The supercharger fluid is a pain to get. Most of the time the dealer has to order it or you need to order it on line.
I can get the Mobile 1 at the local Wal-Mart and I did read the post where Steggy recommended it. What is the big difference? Why do they make a special Oil?

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
this may be a dumb question, because i didnt know that there is oil for the S/C, where do i check that and add it? why not use royal purple?

black_on_black

Got Boost?
Established Member
On the front of your s/c'er there is a hex head. I think it is recommended to change it every 30k miles. Depending on how you drive it, if its pullied and all kinds of other stuff, but to change it you have to take out the hex head screw in the front, take some kind of vampire pump to suck out the OLD oil, and then PUMP back in the NEW oil.

frankin

Established Member
this may be a dumb question, because i didnt know that there is oil for the S/C, where do i check that and add it? why not use royal purple?

This has been my question. What oil or oils can you use. Some say you can use Mobile 1 10W30 full syn and others say you have to use the Ford or GM supercharger oil. Steggy that ports blowers says it's okay to use the Mobile 1, but then also says that they use an additive to this that is not available to the public.
I'm thinking the safest way is to use the supercharger oil, even though it would be a little cheaper and easier to obtain the Mobile 1.

This has been my question. What oil or oils can you use. Some say you can use Mobile 1 10W30 full syn and others say you have to use the Ford or GM supercharger oil. Steggy that ports blowers says it's okay to use the Mobile 1, but then also says that they use an additive to this that is not available to the public.
I'm thinking the safest way is to use the supercharger oil, even though it would be a little cheaper and easier to obtain the Mobile 1.

No one is damaging their blower by using 10w-30. So if you want to throw money down the toilet then go ahead and by the supercharger specific oil. IMHO, its an absolute waste. If your blower suffers any damage its more than likely going to be from the wild upper and lower pulley combos.

This is yet another topic thats been beaten to death on this site over the past year. A search could have revealed that though. :idea:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Mobil 1 works fine......but if you have a boosted Eaton setup, I'd recommend changing it every 15,000 miles or so. Only takes about 15 minutes.

frankin

Established Member
No one is damaging their blower by using 10w-30. So if you want to throw money down the toilet then go ahead and by the supercharger specific oil. IMHO, its an absolute waste. If your blower suffers any damage its more than likely going to be from the wild upper and lower pulley combos.

This is yet another topic thats been beaten to death on this site over the past year. A search could have revealed that though. :idea:

I have done a search and there are just as many that say to use the supercharger fluid as those that say the Mobile is fine. Maybe this topic has been beaten to death because no one has supplied an answer as to what the difference is.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I have done a search and there are just as many that say to use the supercharger fluid as those that say the Mobile is fine. Maybe this topic has been beaten to death because no one has supplied an answer as to what the difference is.
Either will work absolutely fine. Pick your poison. All I can say is that there are about 1,200 Ported Eatons out there that are running Mobil 10w-30 and they seem to be doing just fine. The Eaton is a VERY durable blower and it's failure rate has been nearly non-existent throughout it's 6 year life span. Now twin screws.....that's a different story.

frankin

Established Member
Either will work absolutely fine. Pick your poison. All I can say is that there are about 1,200 Ported Eatons out there that are running Mobil 10w-30 and they seem to be doing just fine. The Eaton is a VERY durable blower and it's failure rate has been nearly non-existent throughout it's 6 year life span. Now twin screws.....that's a different story.

Sounds good to me. Much easier to obtain and does not smell as bad.
I plan on changing it every 10,000 from now on.
Thanks to all for the information.

MaCaNs

Filth, Flarn, Filth
Established Member
got 45,000 on the clock, and have changed it 3 times.....its really simple with the right tools and takes 10 minutes.

frankin

Established Member
got 45,000 on the clock, and have changed it 3 times.....its really simple with the right tools and takes 10 minutes.

I used to worry about mileage and let it sit in the garage for long periods of time. I have been driving it much more in the past year. My Bronco has 198,000 and has a few issues. I was using it as my daily driver.
I had some problems with the Cobra also. Ford replaced the differential cover, passenger side rear wheel knuckle, cats and and left axle seal.
I just had new brake pads put on and fresh oil. Now it is time to change the supercharger oil this weekend.:burnout:

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
I changed mine at 20,000 miles.

It was CRAP when it came out and my car had/has no pulleys, etc.

Had a Jaguar XJR that had an Eaton M90 stock and I was religious about changing that too every 20 or 30,000 miles.

Eaton and Magnusson Products (authorized Eaton rebuilder) all recommend and spec the special oil.

I used nothing but the specified supercharger oil in both my Eaton equipped vehicles and with a combined mileage on both cars equalling OVER 120,000 miles I never had ONE instance of noise, leakage, or failure of any kind on either car. Still own the Cobra. The XJR was a 1995 with a first or second gen M90.

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
i may switch mine over to royal purple 10w30, that shouldnt be a problem if you guys say we can run mobil 1, any comments?

frankin

Established Member
i may switch mine over to royal purple 10w30, that shouldnt be a problem if you guys say we can run mobil 1, any comments?

I changed it today. Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10W/30. 35,550 miles. Good thing I changed it there was only about 5 ounces of the old stuff in there.
I would not think there would be any difference between Mobil 1 10W/30 and Royal Purple providing they are fully synthetic.
That is the way I understand it from what I have read here. I put it in test drove it and seems just fine to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread