What option should I go with?

What option should I go with?

• Tune+chip

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Catback

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Red Pill suspension (FLSFC, Diff brace, bushings)

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Sync

VTAK!
Established Member
Well, I recently purchased my 03 Cobra back in the middle of August. Prior to purchase, the company that was selling it dyno'd it and it made right at 370whp with a K&N FIPK in 107 degree weather. Seems kinda low and i've been told by others that it may be running rich :shrug:

My question is this:

Should I...

(A) - Get the $500 tune+chip to make sure I'm running the proper A/F ratio and hopefully put down a little more power.

(B) - Purchase a catback system (no mid-pipe)

(C) - Purchase the Red Pill suspension options (FLSFC, Diff brace, bushings, etc)

I figured who better to ask than the people who know a heck of a lot more about these cars than I do.

I appreciate any and all types of feedback!

Last edited:

torchanniv03

Established Member
kind of dont really need to do one without the other....

it depends on how you want to be setup:

if you want to see numbers, tune+chip first, then catback.

if you want safe before power, then do red pill susp. mods to ensure drivetrain will hold up to your power adders before you find out the hard way!

if it were me, id prob do power first and take the chance on learning the hard way!! :rockon:

bigmoose

Established Member
370 in that weather doesn't seem low to me at all.

a tune and chip is pointless unless you add a pulley to get your $$ worth. you can get an upper pulley with idler for $150.

my car does fine with my mods, and i'm on the stock IRS and subframes. however i do have a diff brace and strut tower brace (made a huge difference with my vert)

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I think your HP seems decent for 107 degree weather.

I'd go for a diff brace (all Cobras should have one) and the exhaust.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
if you want your car to last...preventative mod's first

I'd personally want the car to run spot on before i modified any part of the suspension or motor.....but that's just me

xenodragon

Established Member
Is that the only mod on it the intake? I doubt its running rich with just an intake.

I say get the cat-back and then get it dyno'd to see the a/f.

If you plan on doing any hard launches get the Diff brace for sure.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The VERY first mod I did to my car was full length subframe connectors. As should be the first mod to ANY Unibody platform.

I also did a diff brace and had IRS braces welded in at the same time.

Oh, and I also did the front diff bushings.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd do the suspension/drivetrain mods first. Thats what I plan on doing, I want everything to be bulletproof before I start adding HP/TQ

mrose75

Established Member
When I first got mine dyno'd all I had was a Steeda CAI and I put down 373 in 60* weather in Central Texas, so...... Oh, and B. Catback!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wheelhopper

Established Member
If you like a good handling car do the frame connectors, brace, and bushings.

A cat back does not add much power to the cobra when it is mostly stock. It does not even change the sound much unless you get rid of the cats. I would not do this at this point.

Your car makes good power for your mods, or lack of. One of the earliest mods I did was a Superchips plug in programmer. I picked up 4/10 in the quarter with very few mods, no pulley change. So getting tuned near stock can make a difference. If I did it over again I would still get the programmer and tune when I did, I would just get the Xcal 3 so I could change my tune when I did mods.

So my order of your selected items would be
1. frame connectors/bushings/brace
2. tune with Xcal
3. Catback(but I would not do this with out an off road mid pipe)

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
A cat back does not add much power to the cobra when it is mostly stock. It does not even change the sound much unless you get rid of the cats. I would not do this at this point.

A catback makes a big difference on these cars. At full throttle stock these cars sound like a damn Camry!

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Do the cat-back first. Get it to sound like a performance car. Then do the sub frame connectors and IRS brace. Then, the car will be able to better handle the power from a pulley and tune. The cat back can free up anywhere from 10-40 hp...an nice little performance boost with the sound can satisfy you for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread