what rear end setup is good

jaimemoney

Established Member
this is for my 01 bullitt, if u dont mind. it has 3.73 gears in already and was wondering which axles and locker to go with. If read up mosers axles are the way to go but for the locker, its up in the air. I will do the install so ill be saving in labor.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
This is from a previous post of mine:

If you are going to go through the trouble of switching out the differential, then I highly recommend you bite the bullet and get a clutchless unit such as a Zexel Torsen or Detroit TrueTrac. They are maintenance-free and do not suffer a performance loss as the miles add up. In my opinion, differentials that rely on clutches are lame. They cause uneven tire wear and become less and less efficient over time. With a clutchless unit, you are sure to get even power distribution to both wheels making for better launches and even tire wear. And the clutchless units don't wear out over time!

I bought a Torsen T-2R unit from Currie Enterprises for roughly $550. I am extremely happy with this differential. It's completely silent and very street friendly. And I don't have to worry about one-wheel burnouts and performance loss. Here's some technical information on this unit.

In addition to this information, you can check out my rear end rebuild experience. I have a lot of pictures and videos posted if you're interested.

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

01TrueBlueCobra

Established Member
Good choice for axles and I have to agree with Wurd spend the money for the diff and do it once. I am in the porcess of doing this upgrade also and have gone with the following: Detroit Truetrac Diff 31 spline, 31 spline Steeda axles(you know they didn't make them), and a Pauls High Performance Diff cooler.

jaimemoney

Established Member
01TrueBlueCobra said:
Good choice for axles and I have to agree with Wurd spend the money for the diff and do it once. I am in the porcess of doing this upgrade also and have gone with the following: Detroit Truetrac Diff 31 spline, 31 spline Steeda axles(you know they didn't make them), and a Pauls High Performance Diff cooler.
whats that diff cooler ur talking about +++fluid

what kind of fluid should i get . Im going to get that same setup wurd has.

01TrueBlueCobra

Established Member
You will be very happy with a set up like Wurds.

When I say diff cooler - I am talking about cooling the fluid. The cooler(which is a moddified diff cover) pulls hot fluid from the diff into the axle tubes and cooler fluid from the tubes back into the diff. The PHP cooler uses the spining diff to move the fluid so there are no addition moving parts. You can have them made out a stock cover or you can have them use an aluminium cover for more cooling and strength.

As for fluid - lots of people like Royal Purple.

I see you are in San Diego also... Are you going to go to the San Diego Auto Museum show on Saturday at Balboa Park?

jaimemoney

Established Member
-Clip axles -- $235.00 / pair
Stock axle studs -- $17.50 / set of 10 pcs.
ABS adapters -- $15.00 / pair ( This is adapters only -- you will
need
to reuse your original ABS Rings )

UPS Ground shipping to 91764 -- $33.78

Fits: 1999-04 Mustang - 31 spline, 5 lug with ABS adapter
8.8" Ford rear, 31 spline, 30 11/16" long Diag. Axle#- A883153
Stock Studs
# -8368

Do those prices look right. Looks good to me.

ANd i would love to go, but im currently living in rancho cucamonga. Im attending UTI and i havent got to the rear end section, so thats why i got so many questions, but that one was a brain fart COOLER--FLUID DUH

Thanks for all the help. Im getting the torsen t2-r cause it sounds bad ass and its a local pickup.

Last edited:

jaimemoney

Established Member
called currie and they dont have them in stock

does anyone have the detriot locker part number by chance and a good place to buy from.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
jaimemoney, are you going to do the rebuild yourself?

Even if you aren't, you should be aware of an issue that we ran into when doing my rear end.

The Torsen T-2R carrier involves a center piece known as the "thrust plate" (aka "cross shaft") which you have to temporarily remove to insert your axles and install the C-clips. Basically, this plate sits inbetween the button ends of your axles, once everything is in place.

If you plan on running steep gears such as 4.30's and beyond, then you will *not* be able to remove the thrust plate without grinding the top of five or six ring gear teeth, or grinding on the plate itself for clearance, which might be a bad idea. I'm not sure, but I don't think any grinding would be necessary with 4.10's and below, as we had to do very little grinding with the 4.30's. Here is a picture of my butchered ring gear:

RearEndRebuildB0017.jpg

And here's another picture with the thrust plate indicated. Please excuse the zinc oxide (white grease) mess:

RearEndRebuildA0056.jpg

This is the only problem we ran into with this carrier!

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

jaimemoney

Established Member
im a little disappointed because i called currie and they told me that they dont carry the tr-2 only tr-1

now i guess i have to get detriot locker. Is there a big difference between those two. or better yet do u know a place that carries them???

o and i got 3.73 gears installed already from the previous owner.

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Oh crap. I bet I have the T-1R and not the T-2R. My bad. The part number is 88-ZT31 I believe. They definitely offer a 31 spline carrier made by Zexel Torsen, so that would be the one.

I apologize for the confusion. I would still go with either the Zexel Torsen or the Detroit TrueTrac. I wouldn't go with a Detroit Locker as they are not nearly as street friendly as these two units I recommend.

jaimemoney

Established Member
crap

so whats the difference between tr-1- and tr-2

thats actually good news cause i really wanted to purchse from them cause they are near by.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'm sure the unit I have will suit your Mach1 (or Bullitt) needs.

Last edited:

03 stallion

turbo dreams........
Established Member
I'm doing mine as cost effective as I can for now. My car doesn't see major track time, so I'm not too worried about a bulletproof unit for now. Using....

-Used 31 spline true track diff from a ford explorer
- Steeda clutch pack rebuild kit
-Moser 31 spline axles
-Motive 4.10 gears and install kit
You can save an absolute fortune by buying a used diff and rebuilding it. Yes it will wear out down the road, but for the next 30 thousand miles at least you should be good.

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread