What Shifter?

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
I am thinking of getting a shifter for my car. What shifter do you guys recomend? I was thinking of getting the Steeda Tri-ax but was wondering what you guys thought. Any input would be helpful.

Nick
:burnout: :burnout:

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
The great debate...

Some people like the Triax and some people like the Pro 5.0. You can't really go wrong with either one, they are night and day better than stock.

I have the Triax.

blk96SVT

Established Member
I have the Tri-Ax and like it a lot. I can't compare the two though. I picked the steeda up because it has a spring that helps you shift into third. Its a real nice feature I think.

Tim

1QWIK4.6

Established Member
I prefer the TRI-AX while my buddy likes the PRO5.0.You can't go wrong with either.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
I think I'm gonna order the tri-ax tomarrow. I like that spring to help shift into 3rd. I already jammed the damn thing once I don't think I want to do it again

Thanks
Nick

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Another vote for the Tri-ax.....i've had it in my car for about 3 1/2 years with no problems. Should have been my first mod...makes driving the car sooo much more fun. Let me know if you need any help installing it.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
It's pretty straight forward isn't it? Just ffour bolts out. lift the shifter drip the new one in four bolts. Let me know if there are any tricks I should know about.

Nick

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by red96cobra
It's pretty straight forward isn't it? Just ffour bolts out. lift the shifter drip the new one in four bolts. Let me know if there are any tricks I should know about.

Nick

4 bolts to take off the shifter boot cover, the top two are pretty tricky...then 4 bolts for the shifter itself. One trick to break the sealant is to loosen the bolts on the shifter, then rock the shifter handle left and right(in neutral) somewhat hard to break the seal. Be sure to scrape off the old sealant and apply some new stuff to the new shifter. :thumbsup:

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Tri Ax > Pro 5.0. I've got a hurst in my 88 that I really like, and a Pro 5.0 in my 98 that I dislike. I was going to buy a Tri Ax, but I came up on the Pro 5.0 used, for a good price, and had to see if it lived up to the hype everyone seems to give it(it doesn't).

Rev Happy

Established Member
The Pro-5.0 is the original short throw shifter and everything else after is basically a copy of it... The Tri-Ax uses a spring mechanism while the Pro-5.0 has a patented 2nd to 3rd offset shift mechanism so you'll never miss 3rd gear for another...

I've driven my friends 03 Cobra that has a Tri-Ax and shifting into third quick is very notchy and somewhat vague IMHO...and his shifter is broken in... The Pro-5.0 on my 96 Cobra shifts silky smooth with very positive shifts compared to my friends Tri-Ax... After driving his car, there is no way I would ever have a Tri-Ax over a PRO-5.0...

JMHO...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread