What shocks to use?

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i am using stock type shocks with my 1"/2" drop. haven't had any problems. according to everything i've read the 1289/1290's are what we need for just the 1"/2" drop.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
ezernut9mm said:
i am using stock type shocks with my 1"/2" drop. haven't had any problems. according to everything i've read the 1289/1290's are what we need for just the 1"/2" drop.

Thanks for the info, and would you happen to have any side shots of your lightning with the drop? I'd like to see what it looks like. :rolling:

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
24247-1067-19044.jpg

sorry i don't have any before pics to compare to.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
cobra0393 said:
how do you drop the lightnings a 1/2. Will the front end still take a good alignment without the new I-beams.

eibach makes a kit. there is a link in lightningkid's original post. i think it's a couple of degrees out on the camber with the 1/2 drop, but i don't drive mine enough to worry about resetting it.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
So are you gonna just do the hangers and shackles or are you going with dropped i-beams? Either way, I'd get bilstiens, probably one of the best shocks out there for any car/truck.

TheBooger

umm what?
Established Member
ezernut, you mentioned in a different thread that you could take out a leaf in the rear spring to get rid of the rake. do you know of any one that has done this and how difficult it might be? any one that might have pictures? (sorry for hijacking thread)

Last edited:

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Soul Rebel said:
So are you gonna just do the hangers and shackles or are you going with dropped i-beams? Either way, I'd get bilstiens, probably one of the best shocks out there for any car/truck.

If your talking to me, for now Im just going with shackles, but later I may go lower. But with the kit I bought it might not go to much lower, my rear springs are pretty much flat and in the front I think one is lower then the other.(previous owner I think replaced the drivers side spring, so the front leans to the right and the rear leans to the left).

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
TheBooger said:
ezernut, you mentioned in a different thread that you could take out a leaf in the rear spring to get rid of the rake. do you know of any one that has done this and how difficult it might be? any one that might have pictures? (sorry for hijacking thread)

the quick answer to your first question is no, but i'll bet most guys running tracion bars have removed the slappers. i would think it would be as easy as loosening up the u-bolts on the springs and just pulling them out, but i haven't done it to mine yet.

Users who are viewing this thread