What should I get, 94 5.0 GT or 97 Cobra?

Apaolo

Established Member
Ive been doing alot of internet research on both of these cars but I really cant decide on which is best for me. I know the 5.0 has alot of aftermarket and you can make some pretty decent power but the 4.6 is just as good if not better. This will be a project car and I want it to be mostly a street/drag monster.

Anyways, any guidance would be appreciated. I know this is the Cobra section but I figured you guys would be able to tell me some good reasons to get a Cobra over a 5.0 or vice versa. Thanks!:thumbsup:

98cobradan

Established Member
well if u dont wanna spend alot of money of performance parts stick with the 5.0. THe 4.6 DOCH cobras are "cash" guzzlers. Very expensive compared to a 5.0 and more difficult to work on.

98cobradan

Established Member
well if u dont wanna spend alot of money of performance parts stick with the 5.0. THe 4.6 DOCH cobras are "cash" guzzlers. Very expensive compared to a 5.0 and more difficult to work on.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
98cobradan said:
Mod motor ....ftw:D

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I had a 88 LX 5.0 and enjoyed the car and ease of working in the engine bay. It was bored 30 over, F cam and some head work and I was satisfied with it until I bought my 97 Cobra and put 4:10's in. The Cobra would eat the 5.0 every time. For your interests I would say the GT would be a cheaper bang for your buck. I mostly cruise with the snake and street raced the 5.0.

Stephen

Apaolo

Established Member
The 4v does sound like a better motor. I know the 5.0s are cheap to build up but the potential seems limited as compared to a 4.6 which you could stroke etc.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
The Cobra can easily be made into an absolute monster on the street...but beware, it will suck some dollars out of your bank account to do so.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
Apaolo said:
The 4v does sound like a better motor. I know the 5.0s are cheap to build up but the potential seems limited as compared to a 4.6 which you could stroke etc.
maybe a big bore kit but dont stroke it .....the stroke is already = to a 351 W stroke

Apaolo

Established Member
NVENEM8U said:
maybe a big bore kit but dont stroke it .....the stroke is already = to a 351 W stroke

Ah, thanks for the info. Guess I need to do alot more research :read:

diablostang

Established Member
After owning 8 5.0's and 2 4.6's, I'd say you should definitely go with the 5.0 if you're going for a drag monster. The 4.6 is sweet for DD, cruising and some occasional track runs, but as several have mentioned it gets expensive quick, parts are harder to find, and it's more labor intensive for the little stuff.

My last car was a 94 GT with a carbed 347 in it. It was pure BEAST, and I really miss how easy it was to work on.

Apaolo

Established Member
Well I dont understand why its harder and more expensive to modify a 4.6. I also dont understand why parts would be harder to find. The 4.6 has been around since 96 thats 11years ago I figured it should be just as popular as the 5.0.

diablostang

Established Member
Apaolo said:
Well I dont understand why its harder and more expensive to modify a 4.6. I also dont understand why parts would be harder to find. The 4.6 has been around since 96 thats 11years ago I figured it should be just as popular as the 5.0.

The 5.0 has been around since the beginning, so when mods first started, they were created for the 302. My 347 in my 94 GT had a 68 block, 1990 Front pulley setup, 94 power steering pump, 85 distributor, 85 headers... etc etc. Everything there was super interchangeable. The 4.6's aren't as interchangeable, and the newer parts are always going to be more expensive. More sensors also = more expensive.

Apaolo

Established Member
diablostang said:
The 5.0 has been around since the beginning, so when mods first started, they were created for the 302. My 347 in my 94 GT had a 68 block, 1990 Front pulley setup, 94 power steering pump, 85 distributor, 85 headers... etc etc. Everything there was super interchangeable. The 4.6's aren't as interchangeable, and the newer parts are always going to be more expensive. More sensors also = more expensive.

No kidding? I knew they were interchangeable but not to that extent. Thanks for more info.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I say 5.0, but I may be biased.

5.0's are easy to work on, easy to find parts, cheap parts. After riding in my buddies 393 AC Cobra replica, I will always own a pushrod. That thing was BADASS.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I from time to time wish I would have boughten a 5.0 car. This car is too expensive for where I'm at financially at this point in my life for how fast I want to go. Sure is a looker though...

Apaolo

Established Member
Tabres said:
I from time to time wish I would have boughten a 5.0 car. This car is too expensive for where I'm at financially at this point in my life for how fast I want to go. Sure is a looker though...

Im really suprised at how expensive they are to mod. Im curious though, why did ford use the 5.0 in the 94-95 new body mustang only to switch over to the 4.6 in 96?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I don't think they would put a DOHC in a 1994, mainly because it really wasn't readily available. Hence why its not in there.

Evol393

War Eagle
Established Member
I go with the 97 your already workin with nearly 100hp more than the 5.0, Do the basic bolt ons or put a vortec/ procharger on and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread