What skiny rims do you use to clear 13" Cobra brakes?

83gt5.0

Established Member
I hope this in not a conflict of interests, but I have 13" Cobra brakes on the front of my 83. I want to be able to bolt up some skinnies up front when I go to the dragstrip. I cruised through Summit and Jegs looking for 17" skinnies. The cheapest wheels I could find were in the neighborhood of $500! Am I looking in the wrong places?

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
I have 15x3.5 draglites and use a 1" bold on wheel spacer and it works perfectly. The draglites are the only rims you can use with the 1" bolt on spacer because the stock studs will stick though the spacer and go though the other bolt pattern on the rim while you bolt the rim to the spacer.

BIGWHUP03

Established Member
That is really good to know. I just bought some Draglites today and I was really concerned about the fronts clearing the calipers.
Edit: what backspacing do you go with for rear wheels?

Last edited:

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
That is really good to know. I just bought some Draglites today and I was really concerned about the fronts clearing the calipers.
Edit: what backspacing do you go with for rear wheels?
I have 15x10's 6.5bs with GT rear rotors in the back. 15x8's worked but you had to use about a 1/4" spacer maybe a little smaller but I would also use 3" wheel studs if you run any spacer in the rears.

Last edited:

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
I have 15x3.5 draglites and use a 1" bold on wheel spacer and it works perfectly. The draglites are the only rims you can use with the 1" bolt on spacer because the stock studs will stick though the spacer and go though the other bolt pattern on the rim while you bolt the rim to the spacer.
Spot on. I use the pro stars with arp 3.5" studs and a 1" spacer. Wheel is 15/3.5 front and 15/10 in the rear with a 6.5 BS. I have rear gt brakes.
BoohooTT3.jpg

To the op a 1" spacer may be too much for the width of the fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

69mach03

Established Member
15x3.5 Pro Stars are on the front of my '94. I run 3 1/2" long ARP studs with a 1/2" slip on wheel spacer. Had to do some clearancing but they don't stick out that extra 1/2" inch.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
I run Bogart D10s. They come with a spacer built to the wheel for a strong design and less chance of breaking on hard landings. Also i believe the 1in bolt on spacer is not NHRA or track approved. If you have a strick track they may not let you run them if they see them.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
how hard was it to install the 3" wheel studs? Is the abs ring in the way at all when you go put the new 3"er's in? What P#?

69mach03

Established Member
15x3.5 Pro Stars are on the front of my '94. I run 3 1/2" long ARP studs with a 1/2" slip on wheel spacer. Had to do some clearancing but they don't stick out that extra 1/2" inch.

I decided to leave the hubs on and use a stud installer. They're cheap ass tools and I broke it after one side was done. I finished the other side by using a stack of washers and a pulling them in with a lug nut and impact. Skill level required wasn't bad... but I would highly suggest picking up TWO stud installers, an impact wrench, and some patience. lol

I would suggest using 3 1/2" ARP studs. I believe these are what I used:
ARP 100-7703 - ARP Wheel Studs-Overview – SummitRacing.com
The knurl is slightly larger, so the original holes in the hubs need to be clearance slightly.

If you run an 05- car, ARP makes specific front studs for them.
(The knurl is noticeably smaller)
ARP 100-7722 - ARP Wheel Studs-Overview – SummitRacing.com

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
The knurl is slightly larger, so the original holes in the hubs need to be clearance slightly.

ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just pull the hubs and take it to a mechanic friend to do em. I tried to do a set like this years ago on an sn95 and it was a disaster b/c of the larger than stock knurl. I still have 3 packages of the the arp's sitting here b/c of it. Thanks for the heads up.

Boostin01Slobra

Anti-Lag
Established Member
ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just pull the hubs and take it to a mechanic friend to do em. I tried to do a set like this years ago on an sn95 and it was a disaster b/c of the larger than stock knurl. I still have 3 packages of the the arp's sitting here b/c of it. Thanks for the heads up.

+1 i could never get a set to work.So you basically drill out the holes a little larger???

Users who are viewing this thread