What sparkplugs to use?

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
All motorcraft. 9mm FMS wires. McCarville ford use to advertise the $99 tune-up special and thats who I ordered my stuff from. It included plugs, wires (your choice of color) , cap, rotor, PCV valve and a fuel filter and all were ford motorcraft parts.

Rufus

Established Member
Another Plug Option

I'll offer another option for spark plugs for a stock '93 Cobra. It's probably like pizza and wine, everyone has their own favorite. Mine: the platinum tipped Motorcraft AWSF 32P. It's a little more expensive than a regular plug, but will really last 100,000 miles. I installed my first set at 47,000 and they ran fine until replaced at 149,000 miles.

It's been a long time since I saw this written up, but when the government started requiring that all emissions related hardware last for 100K miles before replacement, Ford (& all manufacturers) switched to platinum tipped plugs. I think the modular motored Cobras started using them......there were 2 different p/n's with platinum on either the center or outside electrode depending on which way the current flows - different for each cylinder bank. If I remember, there's also another plug with platinum on both electrodes.....more expensive, but unnecessary for the '93 Cobra. Anyway, the AWSF 32P is the correct one for the '93 Cobra, and only has platinum on one side (sorry, I can't remember which side now...it's 'only' been 9 years since I installed my first set of them.)

Best Regards,
Bob S.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I personally change mine at 30k, no matter what plug is in it !

I have always over maintained my cars, even from my first car.

3 month oil changes, even though the car has 1600-1800 miles on it, they always get the oil changed

Rufus

Established Member
Plugs, maintenance, etc.

It's all a matter of personal preferance, isn't it?

I used to do all maintence just a little earlier than the carmaker's suggested intervals (which I still do with repacking wheel bearings, PCV's, crankcase breathers, etc). But over the years, I decided that extra oil changes really aren't necessary. (I have 25 years of experience as an automotive engineer working on engines, fuel systems, filters, etc....probably overseen 50,000 hours of dynomometer testing during that time.)

Here's what lead me to change my mind:

1. A number of automakers have dramatically extended their recommended oil change intervals........Porsche was at 15,000 miles for NA engines 15+ years ago and is now at 20,000.

2. I spent a couple of years working in Product Engineering at a well known major filter manufactuer. The progress made on the efficiency of filter paper to remove ever smaller particles from oil, fuel, air has been remarkable. The same is true of the 'capacity' of the paper to hold trapped debris.

3. About 10 years ago Consumers Reports did an article about a study they did testing oils and change intervals in New York City Taxis. The most extensive real world test I've seen. They measured critical engine components (bearings, rings etc, etc) before and after testing on a number of engines and reported no difference between 3000 mile and 6000 mile change intervals. They also tested some with synthetic and some with conventional oil....finding no measureable difference in wear. Although, somewhat anecdotal, one 'car nut' engineering colleague at a large engine manufacurer where I recently worked reports having torn down his daily driver after 100,000 miles on Mobil1 with changes at 10,000 miles and finding absolutely no ring ridge whatsoever at the top of the cylinder bores.

The Mobil 1 and premium oil filter I use are the 'insurance' that give me piece of mind with changing oil at 10,000 miles. So far (@ 196,000 miles) my car neither burns nor leaks a drop oil between changes.

'This works for me.....whatever works for you; go for it!

Best Regards,
Bob S.

Rufus

Established Member
Maintenance, etc.

I just realized I'd forgotten one of the more compelling reasons I've gone to an extended oil change interval:

At about 70,000 miles I had a premium oil filter from my car tested at work. The result was that after 5000 miles, only about 10% of the filter's capacity had been used!

Now back to the subject of spark plugs......

Best Regards,
Bob S.

Users who are viewing this thread