What speeds are safe for downshifts in each gear when driving spirited?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Was curious as to how when you guys are cruising, what speeds you will downshift into the lower gears. I.E. If I'm @ 40 and want to hit 2.8-3k rpm, as I need to pass someone, I downshift into 2nd, and rev match and boom I have instant power vs third of 4th, though 2nd becomes "notchy" like when going from 1-2 when I do this, I am guessing that is because I am down-shifting it into 2nd when I am rolling @ 40? No grinding noise, just 2nd is a bit "rough"

What is the safe max RPM downshift points\speeds with these cars? I figure 2.8-3.0k isn't going to hurt it at all, but being paranoid as usual and wanting some advice on spirited driving when you down-shift to get more power what the limits are\recommendations from the guys to know what they are doing.

Thanks in advance. Btw this is in a '12, not the '13 that uses 1st up to 62mph lol

I've been told the basic rule is leave 1-2k of RPM before red-line with whatever gear you are going to down-shift too, so technically couldn't I even downshift into gears up to 3500-4500 rpm?

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Shifty, don't ever let anyone tell you that you lack an affinity for the obscure.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Shifty, don't ever let anyone tell you that you lack an affinity for the obscure.

So, you should not down-shift to get more power? I'm taking what you are saying as down-shifting from 3rd into 2nd for 3000RPM of power is "bad" correct? Down-shifting into 2nd @ 40 gives me a 22mph gap before I have to shift again, that seems pretty proper.

Rather than embracing my affinity for the obscure (is this obscure?) could you tell me if it is proper or not? I mean what do you do when you want to pass someone, just down-shift to 2,000RPM?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Do remember I came from an automatic, that when cruising @ 30-35 (1st gear is used until 45) if I stomped it, the car would instantly down-shift into 1st even when I was going 30-35, which would put my rpms around 4000-4500, and RPM limit was 6200.

So manual I am still getting used to. ;-)

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I don't think there is any kind of "rule" for down shifting just because of so many different variables such as rear end gearing, tire height, speed and so on. With that said though, if I'm going 40mph and want to race or pass someone I will no doubt downshift to 2nd. Usually at those speeds if I am just cruising I'm in 3rd or 4th. I have 3:73's though in the rear. With your gearing, I'm assuming stock, I would say you're fine to downshift into second and hammer it. Just don't go over 6200rpms and you'll be fine. I guess that would be the rule...lol stay under 6200 rpms until you get your motor built!

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I don't think there is any kind of "rule" for down shifting just because of so many different variables such as rear end gearing, tire height, speed and so on. With that said though, if I'm going 40mph and want to race or pass someone I will no doubt downshift to 2nd. Usually at those speeds if I am just cruising I'm in 3rd or 4th. I have 3:73's though in the rear. With your gearing, I'm assuming stock, I would say you're fine to downshift into second and hammer it. Just don't go over 6200rpms and you'll be fine. I guess that would be the rule...lol stay under 6200 rpms until you get your motor built!

Okay thanks man, that is what I figured. I'm @ Ford now so I was asking the tech working on my car and he said as long as you aren't allowing the down-shift gearing to over-take the limiter you should be perfectly fine, so the only limit really is the RPM.

My gearing is 3.73 as well. I was gonna say if I can't even down-shift into 2nd @ 40 then lol, I'd be scared of trying to pass a minivan on normal roads. Good to know I can also take it higher if needed, but I don't have fast enough foot-work yet. :-D

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
the best way to figure out is take the car out and learn. like others said there isnt a exact RPM to go off. Every car is different as well and most ppl on here have different gears/tire size/blowers

bFoxGt500

Established Member
+1^ I agree with this. It is not just a matter of rpm, gears etc., but don't forget your tires. Downshifting from 4th -to-2nd at 40 mph is no big deal. You would be running at about 1900 rpm while cruising in 4th gear at 40 mph (a 1:1 ratio). Shifting to 2nd will jump rpm to about 3500 rpm - no big deal if you are prepared for it. To me the answer is related to whether you've got the grip in the rear to keep it planted. If you went to 1st, your rpm would jump to about 5500 rpm, which is not a problem for the engine, but your car will almost certainly head in an unintended direction with such an instant jump in torque - and do it iinstantly. Never a good feeling.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
If you went to 1st, your rpm would jump to about 5500 rpm, which is not a problem for the engine, but your car will almost certainly head in an unintended direction with such an instant jump in torque - and do it iinstantly. Never a good feeling.

funny you say that, in high school i had a buddy following me in his new 5 spd GT. After taking a left turn at a light and checking to see if he made it through, i saw him spinning sideways and plowing over a street sign. After a brief bit of concern I LOLed. He hit 1st instead of 3rd

cluscher

Established Member
Blip the throttle to rev match and downshift. As long as it doesn't want to kick the ass end out when you do that you're in good shape.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Blip the throttle to rev match and downshift. As long as it doesn't want to kick the ass end out when you do that you're in good shape.

Good lord, if I don't blip the throttle and match the entire rear-end swinging out lets me know that. Otherwise, smooth as silk. Reason I said I have to get faster @ foot-work before i start trying to downshift above 2.8-3000rpm, some scary stuff happens.

SuperFly03

Established Member
If you rev match, you're good to go. I'll take it up to 5k on down shifts but I rev match so there is no shock and I catch it on the up swing so it doesn't bounce off the rev limiter.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
when cruising in 6th at 70-75 mph, I usualy downshift to 4th to pass (and have a little fun), but wil be very careful if I downshift to 3rd !! The rear end wiggle at that point can be fun, but I usually only do that when I am not around any other vehicles!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
when cruising in 6th at 70-75 mph, I usualy downshift to 4th to pass (and have a little fun), but wil be very careful if I downshift to 3rd !! The rear end wiggle at that point can be fun, but I usually only do that when I am not around any other vehicles!

Great advice... been there, done that!

Users who are viewing this thread