What springs to lower a California Special

Cobra-O

Established Member
I am trying to find out what springs I need to get in order to lower a 2008 GT with the California Special package. According to Ford lit. the CS package has a 1.5 inch lower ride height. I would like to lower it an additional inch and I think the stance would be perfect.

Jonwang822

Bign'Asian
Established Member
here is a pic of my car with the sportline. its low but it looks so good.
DSC00133.jpg

Webpixs210.jpg

Cobra-O

Established Member
^^ That is proper. Exactly what I am looking for.

What is the ride quality like? I don't want it to ride like a brick. I'd like to find something in between.

Jonwang822

Bign'Asian
Established Member
im on stock shocks and struts. its meh its sporty needless to say. very good on highway but if u live on a shoddy road. not to much fun. and no speed bumps lol

Bookworm

Julie
Established Member
^^ That is proper. Exactly what I am looking for.

What is the ride quality like? I don't want it to ride like a brick. I'd like to find something in between.

Jonwang822 has a GT, we have the GT/CS with the lower front. Go with Sportline's if you want to become a street-sweeper! Just be sure not to hit any bumps or holes in the road. ;-) We left our stock shocks on since they were basically new, the ride is not that bad at all (we go on a LOT of cruises) and it handles corners like a dream.

Oman_cobra~ thanks!;-)

Last edited:

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
I've heard that when you lower the S-197's you NEED a new panhard bar or one side of the back with sit lower than the other, is this true? :shrug:

JymBart

Established Member
Jonwang822 has a GT, we have the GT/CS with the lower front. Go with Sportline's if you want to become a street-sweeper! Just be sure not to hit any bumps or holes in the road. ;-) We left our stock shocks on since they were basically new, the ride is not that bad at all (we go on a LOT of cruises) and it handles corners like a dream.

Oman_cobra~ thanks!;-)

How much did the kit lower the front and rear? Did you do anything with your driveshaft?

JymBart

Bookworm

Julie
Established Member
I've heard that when you lower the S-197's you NEED a new panhard bar or one side of the back with sit lower than the other, is this true? :shrug:

I asked the hubby your question and he said we will be replacing our panhard bar soon, so I took that as a definite yes. He has been too busy goofing off at SEMA. :rollseyes Looking at the rear view of our car, I really don't see an off-set right now. This is my husband's daily driver, I am pretty much the wifey who orders all the cool parts for him! It's nice to surprise him with a new part he wasn't expecting when he comes home from work. So I will tell you guys right now I am NOT a technical person, so go easy on me! ;-)

Bookworm

Julie
Established Member
How much did the kit lower the front and rear? Did you do anything with your driveshaft?

JymBart

We went through extensive research on this whole springs thing to see which would fit the best on our car and give us the look we wanted. The cost was around $550-600(including the springs) to do the job so I didn't want to screw anything up. I even called and talked to the Eibach reps about it. They had to ask around the shop to find someone who new about CA Specials! Geez. Eibach suggested the Pro-kit to us. So I ordered that and also bought the camber bolts to have installed.

We went to Marlo's Frame and Alignment in Canoga Park, CA and had Marlon Mitchell install our springs and re-align the car. What we did while there was measure the drop before and after, when installing the springs. I will have to pull up the photos we took, that is where I can find the actual measurements.

I don't recall Marlon doing anything to the driveshaft.

Bookworm

Julie
Established Member
We went through extensive research on this whole springs thing to see which would fit the best on our car and give us the look we wanted. The cost was around $550-600(including the springs) to do the job so I didn't want to screw anything up. I even called and talked to the Eibach reps about it. They had to ask around the shop to find someone who new about CA Specials! Geez. Eibach suggested the Pro-kit to us. So I ordered that and also bought the camber bolts to have installed.

We went to Marlo's Frame and Alignment in Canoga Park, CA and had Marlon Mitchell install our springs and re-align the car. What we did while there was measure the drop before and after, when installing the springs. I will have to pull up the photos we took, that is where I can find the actual measurements.

I don't recall Marlon doing anything to the driveshaft.

Our car was lowered 1-1/4" all the way around. :-D

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
Get the FRPP kit they use on the SGTs. Sits just right.
DSC01568.jpg

a tad lower in the front...but again I've had 6 lowered mustangs,IMHO this thing sits just right!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread