What stall torque converter should I use with my PA C4?

69mach03

Established Member
'94 Cobra - 2970 lbs, stock shortblock (9.0:1 originally - now approximately 10.0:1 due to cc changes between cylinder heads), pump gas (93 octane), AFR 165 heads, AFM N41 Cam, Crane 1.6 RRs, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap, currently a Demon 650 but switching to a Holley HP Series 750, 1 5/8" LTs, Full Exhaust, spooled 8.8 with 4.10s, 26" Hoosier slicks.

Just switched over to a PA C-4 (NO BRAKE). Running a footbrake class.

I bought the trans slightly used (less than 100 miles). It's super fresh and shifts flawlessly (SFI approved flywheel and bellhousing from late last year) but I'm unsure about the converter. The guy told me it's rated at a 3000-3200 stall speed, but it pushes through at 2400. The car's best 60 was a 1.74 on Sunday and I know it has a lot more in it with the right converter. I'm battling the fact that it's not making much power N/A with the stock bottom end, but it's light enough to come out stronger. I was thinking around a 3800 stall. What are your suggestions?

Anywhere I can buy one for less than $500? Or does anyone have use for the street converter that's in the car now (made 4 passes Sunday on it)? I'd like to trade + cash or sell this one outright to help fund a race converter.

93LITE

Established Member
I remembered seeing this a long time ago. The only secret to picking the "right" torque converter for a given application is to match the stall speed to the peak torque curve of the engine. Ideally, the torque converter should reach its stall speed at the same time the engine hits its peak torque output. Maybe this will help alittle.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Send a dyno graph to the torque convertor maufacturerer and they will set you up with what you need. I bought one a few years ago and I had to answer about 20 questions, like: car weight, what rear gears, what trans gears, rpm the engine turns, etc. and also send them a dyno sheet.

69mach03

Established Member
I doubt this setup will ever see dyno time, fellas. I can guess that it makes maybe 400 / 400 but can't be sure about what RPM would produce the max torque? Hmm. Maybe someone with a similar combo could make a suggestion?

69mach03

Established Member
Tested the car last night and it flashes to just shy of 3000 RPM, confirming the car definitely needs a much more loose converter than what I'm running with.

Users who are viewing this thread