What state to move to?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If I could do it over again, I'd vote southern border of North Carolina (Hendersonville, Brevard, etc). Nice and rural, gorgeous views, and best of all- if anyone is texting and driving, they run off the side of a cliff since there aren't guard-rails! Natural idiot-deterrents.

I'm not happy living in SC for many, many reasons. I'm here for a paycheck but there are no roots.

I like the area in NC around Oriental and New Bern.

CV355

_
Established Member
I like the area in NC around Oriental and New Bern.

I did some work for a customer up in the Eastern Raleigh area about 6 years ago. It's a different feel up there than Upstate SC. The SC/NC and NC/TN borders are the most gorgeous areas I've driven through. Shame it'd be so difficult to commute from there. I drove up to Mars Hill one time to pick something up from a Craigslist ad. That place feels like it's stuck in the 1700's, in a good way!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I don't know how you guys deal with it down there.

Granted, there are areas of Charleston that are absolutely beautiful. Folly Beach is my favorite. Dodging the gauntlet to get there is almost worth it.

Born and raised in Charleston, so I grew up with the bum rush of people coming. I remember when most of these roads were dirt and no one wanted to be here because of the bugs and water.

Now everyone and their dead grandmother is moving here. I convinced my lady to buy a house in my area of WA that is old, semi-run down, and if you don't know any better, you assume its the ghetto.

Realistically it's a quiet corner of original Charleston that can't be developed as there's no land, and most of the originals live in it still. The traffic isn't bad, I can walk to my shitty bars, in two seconds be at a few gas stations, and 5 minutes from a public boat ramp on the Ashley river. Takes me 10-15 minutes to get to downtown.. all that. You still have the usually Charleston vagrant shit show, but it's nothing like MT. P in disparity, N charleston in violence, or James island/Johns island in home price demand.

Hopefully it stays this quiet over here.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I did some work for a customer up in the Eastern Raleigh area about 6 years ago. It's a different feel up there than Upstate SC. The SC/NC and NC/TN borders are the most gorgeous areas I've driven through. Shame it'd be so difficult to commute from there. I drove up to Mars Hill one time to pick something up from a Craigslist ad. That place feels like it's stuck in the 1700's, in a good way!

I've considered buying some property in the NC/TN mountains and pouring a pad for an RV. We're thinking about renting out our house (especially after I found out that rentals were going for more than double my mortgage) and traveling for a few years by boat and RV.

Mike's03Mach

Established Member
Texas, Louisiana, or Nevada

I lived in Louisiana (Shreveport/bossier city) for almost 5 years and hated that place. I'm not a big fan of the whole state. Crime was bad, place was ran down and ghetto. I live in Tucson now, been here since 2016. I lived in Phoenix from 2005-2011 and didn't want to move. Arizona was one of our picks, Florida was our top pick though. Might retire in Fl, but we'll see how jobs go when I retire from the military.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Lived in the suburbs of STL for the past 10 years. It's OK but that's about it. Downtown STL is full of crime. You even have to watch your back going to a Cardinals baseball game. Couple was shot last year going to their car in a church parking lot. Not a whole lot to do. Fairly conservative laws. Lake of the Ozarks is pretty cool and 2 hours away and KC is not too much further. It's got some pretty cool landscape in certain areas. I wouldn't say it's somewhere you'd seek after moving to however, just giving my opinion of it.

That said for a work situation Ill be calling Fort Worth TX my home in T minus one week. I visited about a month ago, put a contract on a house and honestly the place just felt like home the whole time. Looking very much forward to getting settled in there and can see living there a very long time. Saginaw to be exact

madscotsman

Established Member
Suburbs of Indianapolis are pretty decent. Cost of living here is ridiculously low. 3000 sq/ft home was 160K 9 years ago. Couldn't find much bigger than 1800 sq/ft for that cost when we decided to move here from IL. I work downtown in the city, about 37 miles of where we live. Get here around 5:30 AM and leave around 1P and RARELY get stuck in traffic at all. Winters are Usually pretty mild.

jmsa540

Established Member
Lived in the suburbs of STL for the past 10 years. It's OK but that's about it. Downtown STL is full of crime. You even have to watch your back going to a Cardinals baseball game. Couple was shot last year going to their car in a church parking lot. Not a whole lot to do. Fairly conservative laws. Lake of the Ozarks is pretty cool and 2 hours away and KC is not too much further. It's got some pretty cool landscape in certain areas. I wouldn't say it's somewhere you'd seek after moving to however, just giving my opinion of it.

That said for a work situation Ill be calling Fort Worth TX my home in T minus one week. I visited about a month ago, put a contract on a house and honestly the place just felt like home the whole time. Looking very much forward to getting settled in there and can see living there a very long time. Saginaw to be exact
Missouri is trash...

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coiled03

Established Member
Suburbs of Indianapolis are pretty decent. Cost of living here is ridiculously low. 3000 sq/ft home was 160K 9 years ago. Couldn't find much bigger than 1800 sq/ft for that cost when we decided to move here from IL. I work downtown in the city, about 37 miles of where we live. Get here around 5:30 AM and leave around 1P and RARELY get stuck in traffic at all. Winters are Usually pretty mild.

Got a friend that lives in Fishers I think it's called. He loves it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I imagine no one gets stuck in traffic with that work schedule lol. I wouldn't either here. ;)

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I think you can look at credit scores from zip code to zip code. That has to weed out some of the less desired areas.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Gravik

Established Member
Idaho. May not meet your weather requirements though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I won't lie, I could ignore horrible/stupid laws and would take CA tomorrow if the pay was right. Live close to your job so the drive isn't horrible and that's that. Yosemite isn't that far, the redwoods, the ocean, skiing, etc, etc. Yes, yes, liberals, hippies, gun laws...I know. I would still survive.

allister

Established Member
I feel like I was in your exact situation a few years ago. Live in PA, hated the cold and weeks of gray skies. Furthermore couldn't stand the area I lived in, close minded people. I'm very motivated and goal driven, but most people scoff at me for 'working too much'. Felt like I never fit in.

I got the opportunity to move to Wesley Chapel (about 30 min) outside of Tampa, for 3 months, and got a 3 month apartment lease. I work online so can work from anywhere. At the end of 3 months lease I had to make a decision whether I wanted to stay and keep paying rent, stay and buy a house, or come back home. I decided that I wanted to stay and buy a house, but did not want to waste anymore money in rent so I would come back home until I found a house I wanted to buy.

I came back to PA with every intention of selling my house, and once I got back, I had a whole new appreciation for 'home'. I appreciated how sincere and real everyone around here is, even though I am not like them. In FL there were always cops sitting outside Walmarts even in the nice areas. It's not like that here. It was a relief to be driving around on 2 lane roads instead of 8+ lane highways.

I did all the math, and I figured it out that if I stayed at home, I could afford to travel more to other areas because the cost of living is so much lower, where in FL I would have to watch what I spent and wouldn't get to travel much. I was dreading the thought of paying thousands of dollars just to register my vehicles there.

I decided to stay home, and every year we go on 2-3 vacations usually over the winter time because I do get SAD it usually gets bad around Feb/March so I try to go somewhere in January and again in March/April.

I have no idea what kind of neighborhood you live in or are trying to move to, or what your life experience is like. But I had the rare opportunity to try out what so many people around here dream of doing, and wanted to share my experience. It was like once I made the choice to stay here, it all of a sudden wasn't so bad as I thought it was.

If money was not a concern though, you bet your ass I'd be living in Texas! But instead we just vacation there now haha.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I'm a native Californian. San Diego to be exact. Beautiful weather. People are assholes. Everything is expensive..

1520887906911.gif

I spent 2 years in Indiana when I was 20 something and HATED it. By the end of next year I plan on moving back lol
My brother still lives in Indiana and he plans on coming back to Cali (native Californian too)
End goal for me is Texas, Arizona or possibly Georgia.
I'm swapping weather for some space, peace and quiet. San Diego isn't all that fast paced but it's crowded as hell.
I'm out lol.

1520547484453.gif

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Love the Carolinas. Born here and been here my whole life.

I'm southeast of Charlotte by about 20-25 miles just above the SC state line. Close enough to Charlotte for any major sports,concerts,etc. PLENTY of race tracks around. 1/4 mile..Zmax..Rockingham..Darlington. Many 1/8 mile dragstrips as well. Carolina Motorsports Park road course isn't far away in Kershaw,SC.
Many many motorsports related industries above Charlotte in the Mooresville area.
Concealed carry isn't an issue.
Decent job market.
Favorable cost of living.
3 hours to the beach or mountains.
Little snow in the winter.
Humid summers but it's a small price to pay.

bglf83

Established Member
If you like guns, cars and freedom. Texas, Arizona and Florida are good.

If you do not like all those things, stay up north. Lots of foreigners already screwing up stuff down here.

Users who are viewing this thread