What the H33L is a WRX STI?

Raven99

Established Member
To clarify a little on the rally scene, Tommi Makinen won 4 DRIVER's titles in a row ('96-'99) while driving the Lancer EVO.

Mitsu only won one manufacture's title in '98 during that run.

At the beginning of this run Subaru had won 3 manufacture's titles ('95-'97) and Colin McRae had one driver's title ('95) in a Subaru.

Richard Burns won the driver's title in 2001 driving the Subaru while Peugot won the manufacture's title the same year. (Also in 2000.)

In rally the driver makes more of a difference than the car at most levels.

We won the SCCA ProRally Open Class Championship last year as privateers in a Subaru WRX we built at the end of 2001.

Prodrive (who runs the Subaru of America rally team) spent (according to rumors) over $2.5 million last year and still lost to us.

Even though they brought 4 new cars over during the course of the year and were running at least 100 more hp, our driver was just that much better that theirs. (Not to mention our budget was about 10% of theirs!)

This year will be different beacause David Higgins, our driver last year, is now driving for the new Mitsu factory team.

He's already won the first two events of the year even with the Prodrive team running nearly WRC spec cars. (Rumor also has it that this is a "win or else" year for Prodrive)

It will definitely be an exciting year in the SCCA rally scene.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers!

PS- Living near Snobbsdale and Allwhitetukee, Arizona, a HS punk is any kid in high school who is not making his own car payments.

I drives me nuts when daddy and mommy hand "Jack or Jill" the keys to things like IS300's, 3 series, Cobras, Lightnings and the like. Parents must think that because they had it hard, their kids shouldn't. All I see are kids with deep pockets who don't blink an eye when they curb the car. "Its ok, dad will fix it.":mj:
I feel guilty everytime I light 'em up thinking, there goes $300.00!:rolleyes:

Cave Man

Originally posted by 98gt281
I ran in to one to on I10 the other day, it was silver, and had WRX on the left rear, and STI on the right side in red, it was FAST, my 98 GT can usually pull away from them on rolls but not this one he slowley walked on me, it was GAY, it appeared to be VERY STOCK. But everybody says they are not even out yet?

The 2004's are not out yet, and they are the ones to watch out for. MotorTrend's shootout included this car against the Cobra, Lightening, Z06, Ferrari 575, Mosler, Sl55 and others I can't think of. It is a very interesting article if there are any of you who have not read it. :)

mhamilton

Established Member
Originally posted by Raven99
PS- Living near Snobbsdale and Allwhitetukee, Arizona, a HS punk is any kid in high school who is not making his own car payments.

I drives me nuts when daddy and mommy hand "Jack or Jill" the keys to things like IS300's, 3 series, Cobras, Lightnings and the like. Parents must think that because they had it hard, their kids shouldn't. All I see are kids with deep pockets who don't blink an eye when they curb the car. "Its ok, dad will fix it.":mj:
I feel guilty everytime I light 'em up thinking, there goes $300.00!:rolleyes:

Very Ironic? I guess that makes me a HS punk because I dont pay for my car. I pay for my college, but not my car. Oh well, my college is 37grand a year and my car was 31grand once..... hmmmmmmm.......... I think your generalizing a bit. By the way.... Its ironic that the person you call a punk is the one who first began the discussion on your passion of Rally, with considerable knowledge, yet Im not as long winded.
So.... I guess during my freetime, wait, I have none, (probably less than you), with my baseball, school, and various other activities, i should instead get a low paying job so that I can manage to pay for my car and go no further in life than that. Or I could enjoy my Lightning and then when I go to college, make my own money, then show my parents all the gratitude, and possibly monetary also, that they deserve.

Dont be bitter. I am no punk, I agree there are kids outhere who are and who are handed a machine they should not have, do not understand, and do not deserve. But I am not one of those.

- Mark

P.S. I didnt take it that personally, but I like to prove points.

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
You can't appreciate a car unless you are paying for it yourself. And getting a scholarship to college does not mean you are paying for college. It just means you went out and found a scholarship or someone gave it to you because you can hit a ball hard or something. It is no accomplishment. Anyone can get a scholarship to college. All it takes is a little time to find out which ones you qualify for. If it isn't for sports, it is for academics, or financial need, or because you are a minority, or live in a certain region, or your parents are divorced, or your religion, or what you want to study, etc.

And every HS punk thinks they are more mature and responsible than other HS punks and deserve to get free stuff given to them. In ten years, you will look back and realize you weren't as responsible and mature as you thought. Just my $.02.

Triton

Established Member
Thanks Raven99 for clearing things up for KingCobra3:bored: as i was just stating what the STREET cars were about,, Subaru has Defiently won there share of World rallys, and Scca pro rallys, as has Mitsu, Pugeout,< spelling) and even Ford comes up with one, once in awhile,, and also have a new Focus comeing out !!!!:beer:

mhamilton

Established Member
Actually.....

Its an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship.

And mabye........ I put as much work into my athletics and academics as you do into your work.

I'm very sorry, but I don't think you can generalize H.S. kids like that.

I did not seek out anyone to give me a scholarship, they came to me. The fact that you even conjecture that getting a college scholarship is not an accomplishment boggles my mind.

What scholarships did you get and to what Universities?

Maybe you can prove me wrong by throwing out some huge scholarship to a major university, but I would be willing to bet otherwise.

= Mark

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
origanlly posted by mhamilton
I pay for my college, but not my car. Oh well, my college is 37grand a year and my car was 31grand once..... hmmmmmmm.......... I think your generalizing a bit

One quick question? If you (mhamilton) got an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship, how is it that you are paying for you own schooling? When someone says "I pay for my college", In my opinion that would be money out of your pocket or school loans you would have to eventually pay off!

Last edited:

mhamilton

Established Member
The amount of hours I put into achieving academic and athletic ability could have been spent at a job, making money. But instead, I was at home (or on the field) making it so that I could recieve such scholarships at a later date. In doing so, I got into a better school and can play at a high level, instead of having the ability to mop floors and pay, directly, for my car or college.

- Mark

mhamilton

Established Member
My general point is that considering my parents do not have to pay for my college, I have saved them over 100 thousand dollars.
This fact cannot be debated. Granted, I am fortunate enough to have parents who could afford my college education, but now do not have to.

And all I am trying to say is that considering the money I saved them, it does not make me a "High School Punk" for them to buy me a Lightning for my graduation present. Hell, I got kids at my school driving brand new Mercedes Benz's and they don't even go to class.

- Mark

And obviously, you all have the right to dissagree.....
but who here would have refused a Lightning from their parents when they were in HS?

And on that note....... I do take extremely good care of my car. I do not ever think that if something happened to it "Daddy would fix it", and I know quite a bit about it too.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by mhamilton
My general point is that considering my parents do not have to pay for my college, I have saved them over 100 thousand dollars.
This fact cannot be debated. Granted, I am fortunate enough to have parents who could afford my college education, but now do not have to.

And all I am trying to say is that considering the money I saved them..........
You make it sound like they are OBLIGATED to pay for your college, and you think you did them a favor? I don't really want to get in this debate, but I know people who were not fortunate enough to go to college after HS (family had no money) and they went later in life as an adult and literally did have to pay for it, I bet they paid attention in class and were motivated to study, when it's their hard earned dollar being spent ! This makes me think of all the high school kids that have cell phones nowadays, and it's for the parents, so they can keep tabs on their kids, YEAH RIGHT ! Parents pay for the car, the insurance, even the friggen gas in it, and a cell phone, prob a beeper too, how do kids learn the value of a dollar anymore?? Jeesh I feel old after saying that, LOL

Last edited:

mhamilton

Established Member
Kids do not ask to be born. If parents have them... and have the financial ability to send them to college, then yes..... They absolutley are obligated to.

I know that I will not have children until I have the financial resources to provide them with what they need to succeed, and in the modern day world where success is base at the very least "partially" on money, a child needs to go to college to achieve their full potential.

I am not saying that one can't succeed without college, it is very true that they can, but it is a known fact that a college grad (from any school not to mention a top notch school) will make an average of double (and often more) what a non-college grad will in their lifetime.

When I have children, I sure as hell will be obligated to put them into a position to do that, even if it meant personal sacrifices on my part, and If I am what is stated as more than "comfortable". which we all hope to be, I will gladly pay for a car, a cell phone, a private education, and a college degree as long as the put in the work and earn it. It is one thing to call some kids spoiled, when they take their parents money and do nothing but sit around as a "trust fund baby", Trust me..... I go to private school, I know a lot of them, and I am not one of them. I agree, there are kids I know who have no idea, who will not and cannot understand that the average person does not make 500 thousand dollars or more a year, but just becuase a kid's parents are financially stable enough to buy them a 30 thousand dollar car does not make them one of those kids.

- Mark

PS... this is going to go on forever, huh?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Kids do not ask to be born. If parents have them... and have the financial ability to send them to college, then yes..... They absolutley are obligated to.

Kids do not ask to be born. Would you rather have not been born, if you werent going to get a Lightning? Parents are only obligated to raise healthy and well adjusted children and to prepare them for their own life and responsibilities. And that preparation is not obligating them to pay for college.

I know that I will not have children until I have the financial resources to provide them with what they need to succeed, and in the modern day world where success is base at the very least "partially" on money, a child needs to go to college to achieve their full potential.

Really, the richest man in the world has no "earned" college degree!!! And he seems to have achieved his full potential. My brother in law has no college degree and he earns about $200K a year, not bad. Could you imagine how much he could earn if he only had a piece of paper with his name on it and a University seal!!!

I am not saying that one can't succeed without college, it is very true that they can, but it is a known fact that a college grad (from any school not to mention a top notch school) will make an average of double (and often more) what a non-college grad will in their lifetime.

That might be right, but go ahead and state your source for that specific data. But the amount of money a person makes is not the deciding factor in that person's worth or value as a person. You might learn that with time and some maturity.

When I have children, I sure as hell will be obligated to put them into a position to do that, even if it meant personal sacrifices on my part, and If I am what is stated as more than "comfortable". which we all hope to be, I will gladly pay for a car, a cell phone, a private education, and a college degree as long as the put in the work and earn it.

Very admirable!

It is one thing to call some kids spoiled, when they take their parents money and do nothing but sit around as a "trust fund baby", Trust me..... I go to private school, I know a lot of them, and I am not one of them. I agree, there are kids I know who have no idea, who will not and cannot understand that the average person does not make 500 thousand dollars or more a year, but just becuase a kid's parents are financially stable enough to buy them a 30 thousand dollar car does not make them one of those kids.

- Mark

What school do you go to for a frame of reference?

BBriBro

Established Member
Looks that way ! I left your last one alone, I knew someone would jump in, disagreeing with the notion that "parents are obligated to pay for their kids college"

Ike

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the kind words on our little cars. I love big power V6 V8 cars as well but just not practical for me, Wisconsin winter + Mustang = bad. Odds are the car you were up against was a modded WRX (with some STI badges) and not the STI.

There are a fair amount of WRXs running low to mid 12s with some modding so the STI version may not be the only one to watch out for. I know you guys can do that stock but our cars aren't exactly drag cars. On the extreme mods side of things a WRX just cracked the 10 second mark, if anyone wants to check it out here's a link to the video.

http://63.164.33.8/1esx/esxhome.htm

Take Care,
Ike

mhamilton

Established Member
I do admire the individual strike at each section of the email...... How lawyeristic!

No but really.... my general idea is not that people should not have children, but if they have the funds, and have the children, then they really should try to give their children every opportunity in life. Thats all!

I know that having a Lightning does not give me anymore opportunity than anyone else! It was merely an object given to me by my parents in reward for my personal accomplishments and efforts. They have the funds to buy me such a car and did, but only after I worked my butt off to get where I am. I do not ever disrespect my parents. I do realize how lucky I am and how wonderful it was that my parents are willing to give me the best that I can, especially when it comes to education. Education is the key to the door of opportunity in today's world. There are other ways to get in, but Education is a sure fire way to go somewhere.

Even when my parents had to make sacrifices to pay for my (and my siblings) private schooling and respective college tuition, they still did and only asked that we make the best of it. Because of their love for their kids I will be able to go to a top rate school and hopefully be whatever I want to be!

All I really want to say.... is to be honest.... I wish there were more parents like mine. There was a time when my parents did not make as much money (not nearly as much as they do now), but they still gave us the best they could afford.

This is different for all families, but I think if you are going to have children, then it is your obligaiton to give them the best that you can. You obviously do not have to give them everything, but people have children because they are a blessing (or at least that should be why they have them), and they should try to give them the best.

As i said before, I know that I will give my children the best I can give them: if I wasn't planning to then there would be no reason to have children.

Now that my parents are better off than they were, they bought me a L because they were proud of how far I got on what they have given me. I have never taken what they have given me for granted.

I feel that is the definition of a HS Punk. It is someone that takes what they are given for granted. Be it a meal or a car or an education, children should never take what they are given for granted, and I dont. This is why I debate the fact that I am a "HS PUNK".

- Mark

PS... I really do sincerely say that I wish everyone could have had parents like mine.

mhamilton

Established Member
No prob Ike....

This did all start as a STI inquiry :shrug:

Oh well!

Anyways... there is nothing like an open forum debate.

By the way... props on the WRX.

I had one and it was great, my parents bought me the L because i needed a truck instead of a car!

- Mark

PS.... I am at Episcopal High School in Houston, Tx.
(in responce to previous question i failed to answer)

BBriBro

Established Member
my parents bought me the L because i needed a truck instead of a car!

Mark, your so easy to pick on LOL, the above statement makes you sound spoiled again, along the lines of "parents are obligated to pay for college" Now they are "obligated to buy a kid a super nice truck if he gets tired of his car" I think it may just be your choice of words, and reading typed words on a forum can be interpreted wrong sometimes. I don't know how old you are, but my parents would have told me "the only thing you "need" is to obey and go to school" Cell phones, cars, beepers, etc were not Mandatory when I was growing up. Jeesh, and I'm only 30 , boy how times change !

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
No prob Ike....

This did all start as a STI inquiry :shrug:

Oh well!

Anyways... there is nothing like an open forum debate.

By the way... props on the WRX.

I had one and it was great, my parents bought me the L because i needed a truck instead of a car!

- Mark

PS.... I am at Episcopal High School in Houston, Tx.
(in responce to previous question i failed to answer)

You said and I quote

I pay for my college, but not my car. Oh well, my college is 37grand a year and my car was 31grand once

HUH????? You say you are now in High School, so why do you pay for college? What college is that????

Users who are viewing this thread