What tire to go with

Marvin9075

Established Member
Hey all looking for a new tire to try out on my turbo cobra that should be done early May. I have a deep dish 03 cobra wheel out back 17x10.5 and have previously tried the Hoosier 335/35 drag radial and wasn’t super happy and using M&H 325/45 that work better but there a little to tall and had to raise the car up quite a bit with the rear coil overs to not get them to rub . M& Hs are on there way out and thinking about trying out the Toyo TQ 345/40 . Already have a small spacer from running the larger Hoosiers and never had a problem with running fitment when I had those but wasn’t sure if the TQs would be to large or if they are a decent tire … also open to other options as well don’t want to go to a 15 inch wheel at this time … car should be around 900 Rwhp after all said and done and is a street car and I have extended wheels studs as well .

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’ve ran 315/35/18 Toyo tq’s at 800whp with 695wtq, with a built t56/irs and they are great as a street tire.

Power band and power delivery is the key though. Great suspension and good smooth delivery won’t shock the tires too bad with 8-900whp but a loose or untamed suspension and 600whp (more so 600wtq) at like 3krpm can easily blow off even true slicks.

Iirc you’ve got a good sized single in the works, and if you can control how the much boost rolls in per 1000rpm you should be fine on these. The trick will be to roll in boost vs let it overwhelm the tires. Better to go 8/10/14/18 psi over from 3-6000rpm and sacrifice a higher peak wtq number to get a smoother power deliver.

I’ve been happy with these tq Toyo’s especially for an 18”, but I don’t think they’d hold like a dedicated drag radial or drag slick does. On roll races I rarely spun and that was brake boosting but again 695wtq around 4500rpm and flat 800whp 6-7500.

These are an awesome handling drag radial if such a thing can be said but I’d imagine a huge hit of torque like 900wtq at 3000rpm would melt them. If the suspension is dialed in perfect and you’ve got little to no unwanted flex or movement in there, these can probably stick ok with some judicious throttle application via driver mod.

Here is ideal power bands imo for a street drag radial turbo car with a stick to hook well. 1st is an older graph to 7k of my cobra, next two are just random ones I found google searching. Disregard the power numbers but study the boost curve and how the torque comes in.

Mine is good enough especially given a stock computer and a truboost when that was made.

The second image is buttery smooth and ideal imo.

The third is tire blowing/crowd maming stuff of legendary car show hitjob mustang guys. Again disregard the numbers.

Attachments

• AC560E3C-A059-49CA-BC1C-DE83977DBC35.jpeg
    AC560E3C-A059-49CA-BC1C-DE83977DBC35.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 5553039C-AC6F-455A-9AE9-72D256050D78.jpeg
    5553039C-AC6F-455A-9AE9-72D256050D78.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 23
  • F28B74BD-89A9-427F-A406-85E484191B94.png
    F28B74BD-89A9-427F-A406-85E484191B94.png
    498 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Basically 900whp or 900wtq won’t be the issue if the suspension is dialed in and has little flex and the power is ramped in smoother similar to a centrifugal.

These cars get overwhelmed with 500-700wtq in twin screw setups until you get very dialed in so the real trick is dialing it in and then the power is controlled. The Toyo tq tire is sticky enough to get a 7 second car still in the low 8’s but that’s because of the chassis of the 7 second car. I think a couple Supra guys have proved this. The tire handles very good for a drag radial though.

It’s an awesome drag radial for well set up street cars. I’m on an IRS, built, but IRS and they’re great for me.

robvas

Established Member
Is the 305/45-17 popular on the New Edge cars? I wanted to try it because the 315/35 wasn't tall enough

LS WUT

Established Member
What are you doing with the car? Roll racing, drag racing, cruising with the occasional pull? This would also alter many’s answers. I think realistically you’re gonna need a 15 or a 17 with some bigger sidewalls.

Marvin9075

Established Member
What are you doing with the car? Roll racing, drag racing, cruising with the occasional pull? This would also alter many’s answers. I think realistically you’re gonna need a 15 or a 17 with some bigger sidewalls.
Roll racing is all I ever do , have an event coming up this year in July. Would like to find something for my 17s for right now and will eventually swap to a 15 when funds are available.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think setup well a 17x 27”+ will hook well enough especially for rolls

Boost management will be the real key

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
See if it has boost by mph and a tertiary port for a wheel speed sensor.

I did a quick google search and it seems to be being discussed. I don’t know which ms3 generations or setups do and don’t have it but that should quell all worries if you can get that working.

Honestly because of stuff like this, and that I’ll do 100 roll races for every one or two dig races, I’m probably going to switch from 18” drag radials to 19” f1 supercar r3’s. (There’s like 0 18” 275/315 ultra handling tires)

A Tesla plaid will still smoke me and honestly most any street car on the street so either way so I’d rather just have fun and make the car fun/usable enjoyable and multifaceted

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
Roll racing is all I ever do , have an event coming up this year in July. Would like to find something for my 17s for right now and will eventually swap to a 15 when funds are available.
I think it would be best to save the money and just do it once brother.

Marvin9075

Established Member

I did a quick google search and it seems to be being discussed. I don’t know which ms3 generations or setups do and don’t have it but that should quell all worries if you can get that working.

Honestly because of stuff like this, and that I’ll do 100 roll races for every one or two dig races, I’m probably going to switch from 18” drag radials to 19” f1 supercar r3’s. (There’s like 0 18” 275/315 ultra handling tires)

A Tesla plaid will still smoke me and honestly most any street car on the street so either way so I’d rather just have fun and make the car fun/usable enjoyable and multifaceted
Yeah definitely want to use the wheel speed sensor and do boost by gear… one of my biggest complaints about the whipple was blowing the tires off … boost by gear will fix that give more useable power

Marvin9075

Established Member

I did see with the speed sensor in can be controlled … I will definitely
I think it would be best to save the money and just do it once brother.
unfortunately I need something soon and can’t hold off … these toyos seemed like a good option for the time being … just don’t want to throw this giant 345/40 on there if it ain’t gonna help .

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Bite the bullet get the 15 with a MT Pro Radial. Ur already driving around with a M&H slick. The Pro Radial is light years ahead of every other tire out there. Wanna hook? Get a 15 with a Pro radial.

My Turbo Mustang is a skating pond going down the hiway with anything less than a Pro radial.

I found once I hit 900 whp the MT Street R was no longer a viable option.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Bite the bullet get the 15 with a MT Pro Radial. Ur already driving around with a M&H slick. The Pro Radial is light years ahead of every other tire out there. Wanna hook? Get a 15 with a Pro radial.

My Turbo Mustang is a skating pond going down the hiway with anything less than a Pro radial.

That’s solid real world experience, if your power band hits like his does, and you guys have similar suspensions, gearing/trans then you’ll want to take this advice over what I’ve done that’s worked for me. I don’t think many builds terminator builds are revvy and linear like mine is so it’d be smart to go with what’s working for others with very similar setups.

Marvin9075

Established Member

I'll check out the market to see what I can find for 15s... Really wanted to go with welds all around but might be able to just find something that will work for now .

Marvin9075

Established Member

What size tires did you go with on the 15 inch wheel ?

Users who are viewing this thread