What tires?

[email protected]

Established Member
When I bought my 2004 cobra it had Mickey Thompson ET street radials. Well shortly after I had to replace them. I didn't know that they were really track only tires. Well they are not track only but on the street they wear fast. I was under the impression that as long as I didn't do burnouts, or jumps from the line they would last longer, of course I was wrong. So I had a pair of Nitto tires on my 2002 GT, that has a possible broken timing chain, 315/35-17 the same as the cobra. Well I just took both rims, silver, and put them on the cobra, well immediately I could tell that they didn't hook the same, but it wasn't too bad since I don't go to Ball Street (street racing). So the point is I'm thinking about mostly driving a good summer tire most of the time, like the Mickey Thompson Street Comp tire. Plus I can.....you know get a little silly in them and not worry that they'll be bare the next day. Other wise the cobra is eating rubber anytime I step on it. Well to say that I am not going to step on it, in unrealistic. I would like to know what others have had to do. Any feedback is appreciated. :rollseyes

T0RCH3D

Established Member
What kind of power are you making? That will be helpful for guys to help you out. Also do you still plan on running DRs?

Jmurrz

Established Member
If you want something that should hook pretty well (assuming you are under 600hp) and you want them to last longer than a soft DR like a MT I would shoot for something like a nt555R if you wanted a drag radial or a r888 if you want something a little less sticky but longer lasting.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
That's the name of the game, if you want to put the power down especially at your power level then your going to want to run a DR. Unfortunately they are going to wear quicker, you can get anywheres from as little as 3k on them to 10k.

Jmurrz

Established Member
That's the name of the game, if you want to put the power down especially at your power level then your going to want to run a DR. Unfortunately they are going to wear quicker, you can get anywheres from as little as 3k on them to 10k.

Nick hit it on the head, you cant have both!

I have a Whipple on my car and I use a 335 Nt555R. I would recommend it because even though it is a DR it gives a good bit more life than most other tires in its class. Still hook pretty well, and the tires are cheap.

[email protected]

Established Member
I've had to learn real quick. I found that the Nitto 555s' are not too bad for just going about. Yes they spin more and fishtail, but I can still haul ass. I am picking up 2 Nitto 555Rs' next Tuesday. I heard they hook good and last a little longer. Honestly, in the Mickey DRs I never heard them peel rubber in the gears. All I heard was that gnarly sounds that we love so much. Also someone sd the Michelin pilot super sport was a great tire, but it doesn't come in my size.

[email protected]

Established Member
Nick hit it on the head, you cant have both!

I have a Whipple on my car and I use a 335 Nt555R. I would recommend it because even though it is a DR it gives a good bit more life than most other tires in its class. Still hook pretty well, and the tires are cheap.

After trying out the NT 555, they don't hook as great but last a lot longer. I think I'll buy another set of those. :)

TxCobra76

Established Member
I run NT555 and like them. I've run these same tires on my vette and other hot rods and like them. They don't hook like a drag radial but are good on the wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread