What to buy for launch control?

stangman1

Established Member
What is everyone buying for their 03-04 Cobras for launch control. Like a trans brake on an auto. To hold the RPM till you let out of the clutch... Any help would be appreciated!!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
N2mb wot box... lauch control and no lift shifting, works great.

This is what most people are using.

Keep in mind this will be very hard on your half shafts. There have been a few people that cut better 60 foots without this. Most people just bring up the RPM's and release the clutch quickly (not dumping but a quick slip). There are several topics on the N2MB WOT box.

Back in my turbo 4 banger days I was a big fan of the two step because you could build 8-10 psi before you even move. I personally don't think you need it with these cars but several people run it and love it.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I have the n2mb. 2step works good, sounds awesome. But I was not impressed with how the car launched on it. This year I'll be turning off the 2step and just using the box for wot shift and it has a very good nitrous controller that I love.

stangman1

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I have done a little research on the N2MB box. Looks like it will be great for what I am wanting.

Hey Riddock, I don't understand how it's going to be any harder on half shafts than holding the RPM at a steady range with the throttle??? Please explain!! Thanks

ctgreddy

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I have done a little research on the N2MB box. Looks like it will be great for what I am wanting.

Hey Riddock, I don't understand how it's going to be any harder on half shafts than holding the RPM at a steady range with the throttle??? Please explain!! Thanks

because in theory you're launching with more power. since just holding the rpm at say 4500 you're not in boost. With the 2step at 4500 you are making boost so as soon as you leave you're launching with a little more oomph. I wouldn't be worried if you have a bias ply tire but I dont think I'd want to launch on 2step with a dr unless you know you're gonna spin just a little.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member

With the WOT box you are leaving the line at WOT, thats a lot of torque being applied to your drivetrain all at once. When you hold the RPM's steady you are not even 1/4 throttle at the line. This is how I launch and the as soon as the clutch is being released I am going WOT.

You can have the WOT box and do the method I just described. I was just saying that when launching WOT using this box your half shafts are taking a lot more abuse.

lukemoto

Established Member
What is everyone buying for their 03-04 Cobras for launch control. Like a trans brake on an auto. To hold the RPM till you let out of the clutch... Any help would be appreciated!!

You can just have a 2step programmed in. I just had my car tuned and they set it to 4500 works great!

lukemoto

Established Member
What if you want to change the rpm you launch at? Do you have to retune?

I have the sct and I'm pretty sure once you have a custom tune with the neutral rev limiter set up apart from the drive limiter then you can adjust it with the handheld. I'm going to have to check that out now Just to be sure!

JrSVT

Established Member
I'm not 100% sure about the SCT rev limiter but I think it cuts fuel instead of spark. Not exactly the best option. I wouldn't want to be sitting with my foot on the floor and the car going lean and possibly causing problems.

The WOTbox cuts spark which is not as bad as cutting fuel. The only bad thing is that the fuel will ignite in the exhaust pipes causing flames to shoot out the exhaust tips. Some people think this is cool. If you have a catted mid pipe I'd suggest either not using this 2step or going with an o/r mid pipe. Some people experience the same thing between shifts....it's kind of like a back fire.

Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread