What to consider when driving Cobra very infrequently?

jpk

Established Member
Hi Guys -

Right now my Cobra is a daily driver, and even that is a stretch as I've only put 13K on the odometer in 3.5 years.

I'm getting weary of driving in it the elements in Seattle all the time, and only for a few miles each day. It's not the greatest thing for the engine or the Mystichrome paint. I really want to preserve the car in pristine condition for decades. I'm thinking of putting it in the garage of a vacation home in Vegas and only driving it when I'm there. That would be maybe one or two days a month.

Anything to consider when driving a car this infrequently? Things I can think of are
- Gas going bad and needing fuel stabilizer
- Battery going dead and needing to be on a tender

Anything else? Is this plan a good or a bad idea to keep the car looking and running well for years?

Last edited:

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
Make sure to warm it up fully when starting it as infrequently as you are.

Otherwise, you should be fine. I am in the same boat with mine. 14K miles in about 3.5 years up here in mossy/rainy Seattle. Keep in mind too that fluids will need to be changed based on time rather than mileage. Easy to forget....

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
there's no need to "warm up" a newer fuel injected car like this. let it idle for a minute or two so that it falls out of high idle and into closed loop and you're fine.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
You must also own a Vette or a Viper huh? I don't think I could ever go from daily driving my Cobra to storing it! I would miss it way too much! Good luck with that.

Silverman50

Established Member
I'm almost with you WJURLS, I love driving this car, but I'll be in JPK's shoes after the Holidays. Looking for a daily driver and storing the beast for a few months. Sunday morning drives only....

CobraRyan

Banned
Yeah, whenever i dont take my cobra to work (which is usually a couple times a week) i cant wait to get back home to drive it :)

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
All of you guys live in nice climates....year-round!
Come to Chicago...when its 0 degrees and 8" of snow on the ground....then you'll know why alot of people store thier cars!

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
there's no need to "warm up" a newer fuel injected car like this. let it idle for a minute or two so that it falls out of high idle and into closed loop and you're fine.

closed loop occurs at 160 degrees, which takes a while to get to.

further, I believe he is indicating that the car should not be started and shut off. If started, it should be fully warmed up to eliminate condensation build up in the oil.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Come to Chicago...when its 0 degrees and 8" of snow on the ground....then you'll know why alot of people store thier cars!

Well, I guess there is THAT! LOL.... We tend to take our temperate climate for granted sometimes. :coolman:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Yes I do. That's why I live in Georgia. :beer:
No more go out and try to find the car, then have to call a tow truck because the scraper went by and pushed a ton of snow and ice up on my car, which was parked next to the curb, and the sun plus salt melted then re-froze the crap solid. So now the car is completely frozen to the curb, and only a major league ice breaker can knock it loose.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Hell, I don't know.
I bought mine new 8/04, it has 28k miles.
I have the lux of two other DD's
2000 Taurus SES and a 2007 Fusion SEL.
I couldn't drive the Mustang as a DD.
Pain in the ass after mods.
Jeff

cobra23

Established Member
If the gas in your area is 10% ethanol, you need to use a water absorber like ISOHEET because you can't get rid of the water from condensation without it.

Tobias

Established Member
closed loop occurs at 160 degrees, which takes a while to get to.

Wrong! Closed loop occurs within less than a minute after engine start. The high idle strategy is to help warm the O2 sensors..

Sitting in Vegas and only driving once or twice a month will not hurt anything, just use a fuel additive if you aren't filling up at least every 2 months.

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member

Have to disagree with you on this. Older cars needed to be warmed up for the choke to kick off, which I believe is what you're referring to.

I suggest warming up a rig, especially one that's been sitting for an extended period of time, to completley circulate the fluids AND bring all the fluids up to operating temperature.

jpk

Established Member
Thanks for confirming that it won't destroy the engine running it infrequently.

Seattle isn't as bad as Chicago, but I did take it out today (Christmas Day) and lo and behold I start getting snow dumped on. Not exactly top down weather. I'd really prefer to have it in Vegas where I don't have to worry when driving it any time of year.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Press the gas and clutch full boat when first starting up.
It shuts off the injectors and lets oil cycle first.
Cycle it a few times. After that, let off on the gas and let it start.
Jeff

ViciousJay

Established Member

i still drive mine BEOTCH!! :lol1:

but im looking for a '88-93 toyota corolla 5 speed for a new DD cuz ive put enough miles on the car and i want to let it sit for awhile...

Wintermute

Banned
Thanks for confirming that it won't destroy the engine running it infrequently.

Seattle isn't as bad as Chicago, but I did take it out today (Christmas Day) and lo and behold I start getting snow dumped on. Not exactly top down weather. I'd really prefer to have it in Vegas where I don't have to worry when driving it any time of year.

I thought it was like Vancouver over there, mostly above zero and rain in the winter ?

jpk

Established Member
I thought it was like Vancouver over there, mostly above zero and rain in the winter ?

Yeah, and driving the car for 2 miles a day in 38 degree rainy weather is so much better for it. :rollseyes

Dude, the car gets seriously filthy every single day because it either rains (or snows, like today) for six months straight here. I try to wash it weekly, but it gets wet and dirty immediately. And then there's that brutal stop/go commute that doesn't let the engine warm up by the time I get to work.

Users who are viewing this thread