what to do about hard water??? advice needed

customperforman

Drivin the Big Iron
Established Member
So, i have what i think is hard water. after i wash a load of dishes, the dishes come out clean, but covered in a salt-like scale (internet searches tell me its calcium...ill buy that). same with the shower curtain. but, most all, when i washed my car for the first time, when i dried it, i could see it on my paint!!

i could really use advice as my wife is demanding action! she's tired of what it is doing to her hair and clothes.

what have you used and what works?? pros? cons?

thanks in advance.

Rick

btmhwb

Established Member
get a water softener. or better yet, get a test kit from lowes, test your water, and make sure it is hard first. Then get a water softener.

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
you can buy a water softener that you adjust the amount of salts you put in to get the water where you want it. if you dont mind spending some money, and plan on being in yur house for a while a friend of mine in phoenix when i lived there (also notorious for hard water) got a treatment system for his house with lifetime service. his water s so clean the ice is actually clear. you dont need detergent for your laundry or your dishes, and showers require minimal soap and shampoo. the price is high, but in the long run you save soooo much money on all the products you use to clean. i used to wash my car there with just a mit and it would look as if i just waxed the damn thing.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
+1 on the water test first. From what you are saying it definitely sounds like hard water and a water softener will cure that but two other things that can cause white spotting are salt and occasionally nitrates so I would recommend a complete analysis first before you spend any money. Once you get the results then get the proper equipment.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
my family has had a water softener on the house since it was new in 1968. there is a local place that services it, changes out the bottles every week or so. the faucets all look new still. on our fridge we have a separate reverse osmosis.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
you can buy a water softener that you adjust the amount of salts you put in to get the water where you want it. if you dont mind spending some money, and plan on being in yur house for a while a friend of mine in phoenix when i lived there (also notorious for hard water) got a treatment system for his house with lifetime service. his water s so clean the ice is actually clear. you dont need detergent for your laundry or your dishes, and showers require minimal soap and shampoo. the price is high, but in the long run you save soooo much money on all the products you use to clean. i used to wash my car there with just a mit and it would look as if i just waxed the damn thing.
I think there's just a little exaggeration in this post. While I have lived in homes with and without water softeners I can assure you that you still need to use detergents when washing clothes, dishes, cars, etc... The soft water DOES make the detergents, soaps, and shampoos work better though because as stated they create more bubbles and lather than when used with hard water. To go out on a limb stating washing your car with nothing but softened water and it will come out looking like it was waxed is a little far fetched.

U.M.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I am a treatment plant operator here in Ga and I know first hand how crappy the water is down there in most parts. Unfortunately the majority of Florida's water is between 120-180 mg/l (ppm) on the hardness scale which is classified as hard, over 180 is classified as very hard. As stated take a sample to your local municipality and have it tested as they should have a lab unless they contract their lab work out. In any event it will give you a good starting point to go from on your decision. If you choose to do water softening I suggest 2 things, 1)Put the softener on the main line...not just the hot water line...believe me some idiots selling you this will suggest it and some people actually do it & 2)make sure to do the regeneration process on a usage basis and not a time basis...you will get better results. Good Luck.

*Edit*Any other questions just ask, I will be happy to help...my cousin who is in Fort Myers had the same problem so it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
128345359563750000.jpg

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Here is exactly what you need:

1. Household water pre-filtration system - basically a filter a little larger than an oil filter on your water inlet

2. A water softener - size appropriately in grains to your needs

3. Point of use filter such as ROs or simple carbon filters. Filters at POU are an optional thing but a good idea to use.

Good place to start

GE Water Filters, Dispensers, Heaters, Softeners

Juruense

Banned
A rinse agent will make a huge difference with the dishwasher. There should be a place to put rinse agent in the dish washer.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
you can buy a water softener that you adjust the amount of salts you put in to get the water where you want it.
his water s so clean the ice is actually clear. .

A) water softners don't work by changing the amounts of salt. The salt regenerates a polymer resin that the water flows through replacing "hardness" Ca+2 and Mg+2 with Na+ and K+.
B) Cloudy/clear ice has some to do with alkalinity, but not really. People have done phD dissertations on that subject.

I think there's just a little exaggeration in this post. While I have lived in homes with and without water softeners I can assure you that you still need to use detergents when washing clothes, dishes, cars, etc... The soft water DOES make the detergents, soaps, and shampoos work better though because as stated they create more bubbles and lather than when used with hard water. To go out on a limb stating washing your car with nothing but softened water and it will come out looking like it was waxed is a little far fetched.

U.M.

+1

I am a treatment plant operator here in Ga and I know first hand how crappy the water is down there in most parts. Unfortunately the majority of Florida's water is between 120-180 mg/l (ppm) on the hardness scale which is classified as hard, over 180 is classified as very hard. As stated take a sample to your local municipality and have it tested as they should have a lab unless they contract their lab work out. In any event it will give you a good starting point to go from on your decision. If you choose to do water softening I suggest 2 things, 1)Put the softener on the main line...not just the hot water line...believe me some idiots selling you this will suggest it and some people actually do it & 2)make sure to do the regeneration process on a usage basis and not a time basis...you will get better results. Good Luck.

*Edit*Any other questions just ask, I will be happy to help...my cousin who is in Fort Myers had the same problem so it's not a big deal.

+1

Here is exactly what you need:

1. Household water pre-filtration system - basically a filter a little larger than an oil filter on your water inlet

2. A water softener - size appropriately in grains to your needs

3. Point of use filter such as ROs or simple carbon filters. Filters at POU are an optional thing but a good idea to use.

Good place to start

GE Water Filters, Dispensers, Heaters, Softeners

I disagree with RO as a POU use. Household "undersink" Reverse Osmosis systems have a horrible generation rate. Most brands are lucky to produce 1 gallon of RO water per 10 gallons of raw water.

Here is my take on the situation:

Hardness is not a bad thing. If all your concerend about is a little residue on your dishes and shower curtain, they make dishwashing products (like Juruense said) to help that. And they make bath cleaning products as well.

I have the opposite problem: I have water with very little alkalinity. The water's natural pH is around 5.6 (acidic) I'm trying to add hardness, because without it, I get green around my sinks and tubs (it's copper being leached from the pipes). If I wait long enough I'll start getting pinhole leaks in my plumbing.

Personally I can't stand the soft water "slimy" feel on my skin. But it's all personal preference: do you want to spend a little money on dishwasher/bath products, or a lot of money on testing and a water softner?

EGato, Water Quality Distribution Manager extraoirdinaire!:rolling:

Last edited:

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member

U.M.

im not saaying he had a water softener... he had a complete water treatment system with reverse osmosis and some XXX micron filtration. it was actually as close to just "water" that you could buy. and yes, you do not need detergent for clothes or dishes.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
im not saaying he had a water softener... he had a complete water treatment system with reverse osmosis and some XXX micron filtration. it was actually as close to just "water" that you could buy. and yes, you do not need detergent for clothes or dishes.

filtration_examples.gif

RO is the endall, beall of filtration. The only instance where you need additional filtration is BEFORE the RO unit. Iron, manganese and solids will foul the RO membrane.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I disagree with RO as a POU use. Household "undersink" Reverse Osmosis systems have a horrible generation rate. Most brands are lucky to produce 1 gallon of RO water per 10 gallons of raw water.

Here is my take on the situation:

Hardness is not a bad thing. If all your concerend about is a little residue on your dishes and shower curtain, they make dishwashing products (like Juruense said) to help that. And they make bath cleaning products as well.

I have the opposite problem: I have water with very little alkalinity. The water's natural pH is around 5.6 (acidic) I'm trying to add hardness, because without it, I get green around my sinks and tubs (it's copper being leached from the pipes). If I wait long enough I'll start getting pinhole leaks in my plumbing.

Personally I can't stand the soft water "slimy" feel on my skin. But it's all personal preference: do you want to spend a little money on dishwasher/bath products, or a lot of money on testing and a water softner?

EGato, Water Quality Distribution Manager extraoirdinaire!:rolling:

Right you are, RO filters I would stay away from as the filtration rate he would need would increase the size & complexity of the RO system he would need...are there actually any commercially available systems that large for residential use that are cost effective? At any rate why is the Ph a 5.6 in your system or are you on well water? Most times we keep our Ph around an 8-8.2 which is a bit higher than most who run in the 6.5-7.5 range but hey that's what they want it at so who am I to argue with management and the EPD!

Users who are viewing this thread