what to do in between wax/polishes?

94gtpony

Established Member
so i spent the last weekend cleaning, polishing and then waxing my care which i've never done before. (first time using polisher that is) i have to say the car looks great i used meguiars 3 step cleaner polish and wax, except used zymol wax instead of meguiars. so i've kept it pretty clean but it has gotten some dust and polish and just a thin layer of dirt on it since then. what do i do? do i just use car soap and give it a quick wash, or i've heard of people using a quick detailer which i never have before. someone said i could mix my zymol with water and use that on top?

Slowbra01

Established Member
yeap... quick detailer.... i usually go over the car with a california duster when i park it for the night and go over it with detailer... its more frequent maintenance but it beats having to completely strip old wax and start from scratch every other weekend... this way i can go on between waxes longer and still have the car lookin good

XFIRECHIEF

Established Member
Clayed My Cobra

Before I started I clayed 1st. After a year I want to polish & wax again but not sure if I have to clay again. Anybody have a idea on this??

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
XFIRECHIEF said:
Before I started I clayed 1st. After a year I want to polish & wax again but not sure if I have to clay again. Anybody have a idea on this??

You may not need to clay again. Try this simple test: get a plastic grocery bag, place your hand inside and little rub across your paint, if it is smooth, you are set. If it feels like sand paper, time to re-clay.

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
94gtpony said:
so can someone explain on the quick detailer?

Detail Spray is designed to remove light dust and finger prints without scratching the paint or removing wax/polish. It can also be used as a lubricant for clay bars.

Excellent product, highly recommend it!

94gtpony

Established Member
someone told me i could make a quick detailer by mixing water and my zymol wax. is this true? because i would rather do that with all the wax i have instead of buying another product. and also does this replace having to wash it in between all the serious detailing jobs?

trance_in_miami

Established Member
i asked if i can make my own detial spray once. But it has been said to be false. It is like making you own car wash soap. I guess you cant.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
I use the california duster for the dust and light dirt. Then for anyhting stuck to the paint, water spots, or simliar things i use Megs detail spray. Makes the car look like i just waxed it everytime.

Scott P

Established Member
Quick detailers will become one of your favorite items in your aresenal. They restore the pop and slickness to your finish without having to re-wax the car. I usually have a bottle in my car at all times. I've been called out by the track announcer a few times for cleaning up the car while waiting in the staging lanes. :D

I don't know about creating your own QD spray. There are several great ones on the market and the price isn't bad at all. They average about $7/pint, so the low cost outweighs the effort and time required to mamke your own brew.

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
94gtpony said:
someone told me i could make a quick detailer by mixing water and my zymol wax. is this true? because i would rather do that with all the wax i have instead of buying another product. and also does this replace having to wash it in between all the serious detailing jobs?

I have not heard of making your own detail spray before. Now you can make your own glass cleaner and you can use distilled water and a few drops of carwash soap in a spray bottle as a lube for your clay bar, but dont let it dry on your paint!

An advantage of the Tropi-Care detail spray is that it helps to repel dust, in addition to enhancing the polish/wax. Makes it much easier to wash later on.

Hope this helps.

Chris

94gtpony

Established Member
thanks guys i'm gonna go out and buy some QD now. just wondering does this make it so i don't have to wash my car as often, or is this just for little jobs and small spot touch ups like say just the hood or a smaller section of the car?

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
94gtpony said:
thanks guys i'm gonna go out and buy some QD now. just wondering does this make it so i don't have to wash my car as often, or is this just for little jobs and small spot touch ups like say just the hood or a smaller section of the car?

More for the quick touch-up, dust removal or the ever anoying bird droppings.
But if used regularly it will make washing easier, as the detail spray will enhance the durability of the wax/polish.

Users who are viewing this thread