What to do next

RWS98COBRA

Without power adders like NOS or a supercharger, which is the cheapest way to get bottom end power out of a 98 cobra. Cold air package, underdrive pulleysor a throttle body? Will pulleys kill the charging at idle?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
There isn't really anything to get the bottom end power out of these engines. Unless you want to stroke it. So the answer would be to get into the power band quickly, IE - gears. Most guys on here suggest at least 4.10's, it all depends on your driving habits. If you do a lot of highway/distance driving, I wouldn't go higher than a 3.73. But if you aren't concerned about gas mileage and want real performance, go with a minimum of 4.10's or even 4.30's.

------------------
98 Black on Black Cobra Vortech Supercharged [email protected] with 3.27's and street radials off of idle. "May the best driver win"

VENOMOUS98

Established Member
I don't know what you have done to your Cobra yet, but the best beginning mods are K&N filter, pulleys, h or x-pipe and 4.30 gears. When I dyno'd my 98 Cobra it put out 289rwhp and 287rwtq with just a K&N filter, March pulleys, BBK off-road h-pipe and 2 chamber Flowmaster exhaust! Hope that helps to give you some ideas. Chris

RWS98COBRA

Thanks for the info. My cobra has Flowmasters, k&n filter and thats it. If you put 3.73 gears in it will I have to get a special adapter for the speedo? Or does it have the gear drive and cable like the older cars? Then I could use the 23 tooth speedo gear.

4chevy2nv

Established Member
RWS98COBRA
Dont even think about 3,73's, do yourself a favor and get 4,56's.

They are great, SOTP is fantastic.

you will not regret it and these cobra's need gears, they really wake up the car.

------------------
h-pipe
2 chamber flows
4.56's

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
If you want to preserve some/any gas mileage don't go higher 3.73. But if you really want the performance take 4chevy2nv's advice.

Venom

Established Member
Pullies and Gears, you will definetly notice a difference. These are my next mods!

I am currently debating about the 3.73 or 4.1's, I just haven't decided yet.

Gear choice is rather like the exhaust question, it depends on what you want. I found this spreadsheet one night searching the web. It might help you on the gear decision.
http://users.erols.com/dshade/rpm_to_speed_calculator.xls

You will need a speed compensator with a new set of gears. The 23-speedo gears will grind and need replaced every couple of months.

------------------
98 Cobra Convt. Triple Black
Custom Built Catback
Tri-Ax Short Shift Kit
K&N
No air snorkel
H&R Springs

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
gears

I would go with the 3.73's. That is what i have in mine and it works super. I have a buddy who's got 4.10's and for the difference in 5th I would stay with 3.73's. I also have a vortech in her. Talk about a screamer!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread